What’s up with Scott Oake

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
He butchers stuff pretty frequently and has a creepy presence that only Pierre McGuire can rival. I’ve never seen an After Hours interview that didn’t seem horribly awkward.

Feel sorry for the personal tragedies he’s suffered, but that shouldn’t lead to an auto-renew of his contract, yet I feel that is likely what’s at play.

The awkwardness is part of the charm for the show. Oake has never told any announcer that they have a long stick from time to time while getting in their personal space.

There is no comparison between oake and McGuire

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
Scott’s also a player person. Never asks dumb questions or tries to get sound bites from people he’s interviewing. Just an honest stand up guy.
When the Bruins won the cup 15 years or so ago I remember him asking some brutal questions on the ice. I think he said to Neely something along the lines of ‘Although it would have been better to win this as a player it must still be pretty sweet’

And then he asked Greg Campbell something about having his dad in a high up position and if it diminishes the win at all.

Obviously neither of those are word for word but they were the general theme of what he asked them. Even as a Habs fan I was pretty pissed at how he seemed to not want to let the guys just enjoy the moment.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Didn't know his wife passed away. Unfortunate. Sad to hear. Being with someone for that long can have that affect on you.

I echo the sentiments of the others that he seems like one of those genuine good guys. I have always enjoyed the After Hours segments because it gives us East Coasters who stay up late to watch the West Coast games a glimpse of those players we generally hardly ever see.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Good post, and while I don't mind Scott Oake at all, he ALWAYS asks dumb and embarrassing questions on 'After Hours'. I don't know if it's Hockey Night's policy to try to embarrass each guest as much as possible or what, but he is always the one who does it. He asked Nugent-Hopkins yesterday what his kid's name will be (still six months away), "what it would mean to him" to finish his career as an Oiler (awkward because players can't make promises like that or incur the NHLPA's wrath), and ended by asking him if he'll finally be able to grow a playoff beard this year. He always asks these kinds of Qs. It's well intentioned, but he does ask dumb questions.

Good guy, though.

EDIT: Oh, and because Scott Oake is possibly the whitest guy who's ever lived, I enjoyed when he said 'fo shizzle my nizzle" to Snoop Dogg at a Ducks' game.

I'm sorry, he did WHAT?!

I just read about some on-air meteorologist down in Mississippi who got fired for doing exactly this. She wasn't talking to Snoop though, maybe that's the difference.

Still pretty cringe. :help:

I only know Scott Oake as the guy who's usually first on the ice after a Cup win, grabbing one or two players for lengthy interviews that usually run long and end up being cut short because an on-ice team photo's about to take place. :laugh:

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Him and Ron MacLean should have been replaced long ago. Especially MacLean. MacLean is a goof.

No argument about MacLean. Its painful. But I can't say that about Oake. He is the classic reporter that we all respect. He never stirs anything up, he sticks to hockey. He's meat and potatoes. He's what you want as the guy down at ice level. If he forgot something the other day, oh well, he's a pro, it happens. He's 71 I believe. I like him. He's got to be about 6'4" because he is normally eye to eye with players who are on skates. He's had a combover since the 1990s, but he manages to pull it off.

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad