What’s up with Scott Oake

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Just watched after hours for the first time in awhile and while talking to the guest Matthias Ekholm Scott Oak forgot who the oilers had just played. At the end of the Interview he referred to Ehkolm as Matthias Elklund.
Noticed the same. Just an off night?

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Him and Ron MacLean should have been replaced long ago. Especially MacLean. MacLean is a goof.
Scott Oake is fine. MacLean I agree.

Scott is just a brilliant human being. He lost his wife last year and he lost his son to an overdose a decade ago. His son was best buds with Ryan Reaves and Reaves looks up to Oake as his second father. Truly tragic.

Scott’s also a player person. Never asks dumb questions or tries to get sound bites from people he’s interviewing. Just an honest stand up guy.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
I see that the OP edited the title to correct the spelling of Oake's name. Good thing this thread wasn't on live TV where they don't have the luxury of correcting minor mistakes.

It's also a bit ironic that in the interview in question, Ekohlm went out of his way to share that since his wife is a broadcaster, he understands how difficult of a job it is.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
He butchers stuff pretty frequently and has a creepy presence that only Pierre McGuire can rival. I’ve never seen an After Hours interview that didn’t seem horribly awkward.

Feel sorry for the personal tragedies he’s suffered, but that shouldn’t lead to an auto-renew of his contract, yet I feel that is likely what’s at play.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Scott Oake is fine. MacLean I agree.

Scott is just a brilliant human being. He lost his wife last year and he lost his son to an overdose a decade ago. His son was best buds with Ryan Reaves and Reaves looks up to Oake as his second father. Truly tragic.

Scott’s also a player person. Never asks dumb questions or tries to get sound bites from people he’s interviewing. Just an honest stand up guy.
Good post, and while I don't mind Scott Oake at all, he ALWAYS asks dumb and embarrassing questions on 'After Hours'. I don't know if it's Hockey Night's policy to try to embarrass each guest as much as possible or what, but he is always the one who does it. He asked Nugent-Hopkins yesterday what his kid's name will be (still six months away), "what it would mean to him" to finish his career as an Oiler (awkward because players can't make promises like that or incur the NHLPA's wrath), and ended by asking him if he'll finally be able to grow a playoff beard this year. He always asks these kinds of Qs. It's well intentioned, but he does ask dumb questions.

Good guy, though.

EDIT: Oh, and because Scott Oake is possibly the whitest guy who's ever lived, I enjoyed when he said 'fo shizzle my nizzle" to Snoop Dogg at a Ducks' game.

Reactions: tfwnogf

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Hmmm.

Does anyone else remember the time Oake chased down Alfredsson post-game

... and angrily demanded to know if he thought his game-winning should've counted?

Twas around 20 years ago in a playoff game against the Leafs.

The HNIC broadcast crew was screaming for a penalty on Alffy just before he fired it home. late in the game.

The entire crew was seething with rage.

It has stuck in memory banks all these years because it was so bizarre.

And the look on Alffy's face was like 'From whence did this nut escape??"

Priceless!

Now, Oake has seemed very nice on air for the two decades since, so just a one-off.

But still, does anyone else remember the incident?

I've never seen it talked about anywhere. Sens fans?

Last edited:

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Good post, and while I don't mind Scott Oake at all, he ALWAYS asks dumb and embarrassing questions on 'After Hours'. I don't know if it's Hockey Night's policy to try to embarrass each guest as much as possible or what, but he is always the one who does it. He asked Nugent-Hopkins yesterday what his kid's name will be (still six months away), "what it would mean to him" to finish his career as an Oiler (awkward because players can't make promises like that or incur the NHLPA's wrath), and ended by asking him if he'll finally be able to grow a playoff beard this year. He always asks these kinds of Qs. It's well intentioned, but he does ask dumb questions.

Good guy, though.

EDIT: Oh, and because Scott Oake is possibly the whitest guy who's ever lived, I enjoyed when he said 'fo shizzle my nizzle" to Snoop Dogg at a Ducks' game.
It's weird that you point these questions out as dumb. As a fan I enjoy them and especially the beard one ifind just a fun bit of silliness to try and pull the players personality out.

I'd rather that then asking about how they dug down, fought hard, got pucks deep, got pucks on net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad