What’s the best starting lineup you can come up with?

MyDogSparty

Yzerman & Lidstrom
Mar 3, 2008
If you had to create the best starting lineup you could and each of the original 6 franchises had to have a representative, who would make your lineup?

RULES
1.) if a player didn’t play the majority of his career with the original six franchise he’s representing then he can’t be used. (IE: Wayne Gretzky & Mark Messier don’t qualify as Rangers since they played more games for the Oilers and therefore cannot be in the lineup.)
2.) no original 6 franchise can have more than one representative in the starting lineup.
3.) forward positions matter. (IE: Maurice Richard & Guy Lafleur can’t play LW if they spent more time playing another position).

a sample lineup might be:
C: Jean Beliveau (Canadiens)
R: Gordie Howe (Red Wings)
L: Frank Mahovlich (Maple Leafs)
D: Bobby Orr (Bruins)
D: Brian Leetch (Rangers)
G: Glenn Hall (Blackhawks)

or

C: Jean Ratelle (Rangers)
R: Maurice Richard (Canadiens)
L: Bobby Hull (Blackhawks)
D: Bobby Orr (Bruins)
D: Tim Horton (Maple Leafs)
G: Terry Sawchuk (Red Wings)

What the best starting lineup you can come up with?

Last edited:

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
based on your rule, Park is a Bruin (501 games vs 465 for NYR)

Hull - Beliveau - Howe
Orr - Horton
Lundqvist

man, toronto and NYR are a lot tougher to find guys from compared to the other 4

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'll go weird and just pick Ching Johnson (NYR) to play with Orr so I can boost the rest.

Hull is a no-brainer at LW, and Howe and Orr are the only Top-4 available so I really want them.Then I can pick Beliveau too, giving me four players who are all arguably Top 5-7 of all-time.I'm fine with Broda the clutch goalie to back that squad.

Hull-Beliveau-Howe
C.Johnson-Orr
Broda

With Orr there I much rather have Ching than say Leetch.

While Ching looks like a weak player there, for his role he is not out of place.Elite defensive defenseman.Also supports Howe on the physical level making the whole unit well-rounded.

Edit: I guess you could trade Beliveau/Ching for F.Boucher/Harvey, making the lineup:

Hull-Boucher-Howe
Harvey-Orr
Broda

But I don't know I feel the first is better even if the players are better in the second group.Harvey-Orr is overkill to me, in a way that Hull-Beliveau-Howe is not.Ching is a perfect partner for Orr.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Alternatively:
Hull-Boucher-Richard
Orr-Lidstrom
Bower

I see no reason not to trade Richard/Lidstrom for Howe/Harvey in your scenario.

Edit: I can see one reason actually, but it's not that important: Lidstrom is a natural LD whereas Harvey can play both sides but played more RD.Orr is a RD, so you'd need to swap them.

Last edited:
Reactions: mrhockey193195

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
We did a similar type of thing in a draft format (on the ATD subboard a year or two ago) with one player from a different franchise, a full 20-man team.

It was fun and challenging. Lots of trade-offs to consider.

If there were 4 to 8 guys interested in GMing a team to build in a draft, it might be worth doing another such draft.

Reactions: tony d

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
We did a similar type of thing in a draft format (on the ATD subboard a year or two ago) with one player from a different franchise, a full 20-man team.

It was fun and challenging. Lots of trade-offs to consider.

If there were 4 to 8 guys interested in GMing a team to build in a draft, it might be worth doing another such draft.

Yes it was an entertaining format.

MyDogSparty

Yzerman & Lidstrom
Mar 3, 2008
This matrix may be helpful...

upload_2018-7-18_10-25-20.png

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Before reading other posts, I know I want Hull, Howe and Orr:

Bobby Hull - Frank Boucher - Gordie Howe
Doug Harvey - Bobby Orr
Turk Broda

If Brad Park is allowed as a Ranger:

Bobby Hull - Jean Beliveau - Gordie Howe
Brad Park - Bobby Orr
Turk Broda

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Before reading other posts, I know I want Hull, Howe and Orr:

hull and orr are my automatics.

but to me, the trade off between howe and rocket isn't so big that i wouldn't at least consider it if it helps me in another area. but it doesn't really, because you don't gain anything by taking lidstrom over harvey, or sawchuk over roy/plante.

you lose big by not taking beliveau, so i'd be tempted to go with the team you put together, but i feel like you lose too much having to take either a ranger of leaf in goal, so i settle for boucher at center to get plante. basically, i'm sacrificing beliveau so i don't have to sacrifice howe to get sawchuk, or hull to get hall.

hull boucher howe
orr clancy
roy

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
based on your rule, Park is a Bruin (501 games vs 465 for NYR)

Hull - Beliveau - Howe
Orr - Horton
Lundqvist

man, toronto and NYR are a lot tougher to find guys from compared to the other 4
For sure. Cook is the best Ranger, but he's not Howe or Richard. The best Leafs are Apps and Conacher, but it feels like a big dropoff to have them in this starting lineup rather than other choices.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
hull and orr are my automatics.

but to me, the trade off between howe and rocket isn't so big that i wouldn't at least consider it if it helps me in another area. but it doesn't really, because you don't gain anything by taking lidstrom over harvey, or sawchuk over roy/plante.

you lose big by not taking beliveau, so i'd be tempted to go with the team you put together, but i feel like you lose too much having to take either a ranger of leaf in goal, so i settle for boucher at center to get plante. basically, i'm sacrificing beliveau so i don't have to sacrifice howe to get sawchuk, or hull to get hall.

hull boucher howe
orr clancy
roy

Clancy is Ottawa by an hair.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Fun idea.

Hull-Beliveau-Howe
Orr-Leetch

Bower

Would be my team. Oh and @VanIslander if you decide to go with that draft again you can sign me up. Was quite fun and could get some more action on the ATD draft board.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
No Gretzky, Lemieux?
Now, that wouldn't feel fair, would it?

Even without the greatest center (forward/player some say), the opposition for the best O6 line-up is formidible. At their peak, Ov-Mess-Jagr, Fetisov-Potvin, Hasek could beat any O6 line-up.

Last edited:

Iron Mike Sharpe

Dec 6, 2017
Now, that wouldn't feel fair, would it?

Even without the greatest center (forward/player some say), the opposition for the best O6 line-up is formidible. At their peak, Ov-Mess-Jagr, Fetisov-Potvin, Hasek could beat any O6 line-up.

Ha ha, yeah, I don't think so... if you believe that, you're seriously underrating Bobby Orr & Gordie Howe, who show up on pretty much every team.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
last six roster:

kovalchuk - w karlsson - wheeler
weber - suter
bobrovsky

cheated a bit with the games played requirement for suter and karlsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad