WHA Tourney a No Go?

Status
Not open for further replies.

X0ssbar

So replacements/impasse are no longer a threat to the 'PA and its clearly evident that a new league (or Europe for that matter - see Forsberg) isn't a threat to the NHL..

Bottom line: These fools need each other so lets wrap up these negotiations and move on b/c rebuilding this game will be a much bigger challenge than fighting over 2 billion dollars..!

SENSible1*

Top Shelf said:
So replacements/impasse are no longer a threat to the 'PA and its clearly evident that a new league (or Europe for that matter - see Forsberg) isn't a threat to the NHL..

Bottom line: These fools need each other so lets wrap up these negotiations and move on b/c rebuilding this game will be a much bigger challenge than fighting over 2 billion dollars..!

Bettman stated the NHL had shelved replacements for now, not forever.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You mean the WHA tournament isn't for real? NO WAY! These guys have been so credible in the past! I am shocked, I say, shocked...

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
The NHL backed off replacements, and the NHLPA backed off the WHA. Both sides put down their guns, and are now talking. The lack of any clear deadline makes things more drawn out, but we will have a CBA before July.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I'd be interested to know how they came up with the list of players who are supposed to be participating in the tournament.

i.e. Brooks Orpik of the Pens:

It doesn't matter, then, that Orpik has had no contact with representatives of the WHA, or that he's clueless about how he came to be included on a list of tournament participants posted on the WHA Web site.

"I don't know how my name got on there," Orpik said.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Chili said:
I'd be interested to know how they came up with the list of players who are supposed to be participating in the tournament.

i.e. Brooks Orpik of the Pens:
too funny.
I swear they put "high profile" names there in the hopes they'd notice and show up.(not that Orpik is high profile)

who's running this circus??

Last edited:

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
futurcorerock said:
oh no.... oh god no.... Bring Back Bucky will be devastated :cry:

Thank heavens I didn't receive this news before bedtime last night. I am for one astonished to hear that this fantastic tournament may be in jeopardy. With the fabulous Bobby Hull at the helma and a star-studded cast of characters ready to do battle on ice, I felt that the upstart league would rise like the phoenix on the wings of this super tourney and dash any hope of the NHL being viable upon its return. What will ever happen next???

Lanny MacDonald*

Bring Back Bucky said:
Thank heavens I didn't receive this news before bedtime last night. I am for one astonished to hear that this fantastic tournament may be in jeopardy. With the fabulous Bobby Hull at the helma and a star-studded cast of characters ready to do battle on ice, I felt that the upstart league would rise like the phoenix on the wings of this super tourney and dash any hope of the NHL being viable upon its return. What will ever happen next???

I feel your pain Bucky and I'm here to support you during your time of grief. Can I get you a tissue?

;)

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
The Iconoclast said:
I feel your pain Bucky and I'm here to support you during your time of grief. Can I get you a tissue?

;)

Thanks Iconclast for sharing my distress. In lieu of tissues, those wishing to pass along condolences may send cash to Bring Back Bucky, Donair Town, Nova Scotia.

Perhaps I can raise 4 or 5 hundred bucks and buy the league myself......

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Larionov said:
You mean the WHA tournament isn't for real? NO WAY! These guys have been so credible in the past! I am shocked, I say, shocked...

But, but, but. They had this really cool website and everything.

I know, this is just part of the Bain mega-billions conspiracy - to wait and then come out with an even more fabulicious (and poodle friendly) league. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
kdb209 said:
But, but, but. They had this really cool website and everything.

I know, this is just part of the Bain mega-billions conspiracy - to wait and then come out with an even more fabulicious (and poodle friendly) league. Yeah, that's the ticket.

I was looking forward to cheering for the Boston Bains.

Now, it will never be. :cry:

Phil Parent

Sorel, 'fant d'chienne!
Feb 4, 2005
Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
You know, this sucks in ways. WHA could have rivaled the AHL.

I for one miss the IHL as a rival league to the AHL. It was an extra outlet for talented little guys coming out of the junior leagues to go and play at a high level even if they weren't drafted, or if they were drafted and more or less left to themselves. Had the WHA came to be, they would have became something like the IHL eventually and would have filled that void. Also, some European players crossed the pond and played in the IHL in their draft year, as a way to adapt.

But I never believed in it as a rival to the NHL.

Crows*

This has been one of the biggest jokes in North american sports history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad