WHA just will not die

Status
Not open for further replies.

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
ockey legend Phil Esposito could take on a major role -- perhaps president -- in the World Hockey Association as the league plans a February 2005 return to fill the NHL's void, the National Post has learned.

Linky

The thing that bothers me is:

The upstart WHA is looking to snipe NHL talent as part of its plan to start playing with between eight and 10 teams, each of which will have at least one marquee player that are excepted from an approximate US$15-million salary cap.

Haven't a few players used this joke/league as a threat. Doesn't belfour have some sort of stake in a team. A brand new league with a salary cap less than half of that offered by the owners.

Someone educate me

A Good Flying Bird*

gerbilanium said:
ockey legend Phil Esposito could take on a major role -- perhaps president -- in the World Hockey Association as the league plans a February 2005 return to fill the NHL's void, the National Post has learned.

Linky

The thing that bothers me is:

The upstart WHA is looking to snipe NHL talent as part of its plan to start playing with between eight and 10 teams, each of which will have at least one marquee player that are excepted from an approximate US$15-million salary cap.

Haven't a few players used this joke/league as a threat. Doesn't belfour have some sort of stake in a team. A brand new league with a salary cap less than half of that offered by the owners.

Someone educate me

The "joke/league" could become a serious problem for the NHL if enough players jump over.

gerbilanium

Oct 17, 2003
So they will play under a salary cap? It just needs to be much lower than $40,000,000?

They will play with non-guaranteed contracts, but only in Europe?

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
I think there will be a decent talent pool of players to choose from but what you won't see is any player under contract to an NHL team going to play in the WHA.

If somebody is an UFA (Glen Murray?) or a minor league free agent they will likely consider this but no way does a Joe Thornton or somebody like that go to this league.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I agree with the sentiments here. The "joke/league" could have worked if properly planned.

One of the major problems is that they won't get prime venues in prime hockey cities to play in.

YellHockey*

The best thing for the fans is for the NHL to have a strong competitor pushing them to fight for the fans.

People should be encouraging the WHA, not bashing it.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
If there is another decent league out there, the NHL will see a serious problem and likely start making some major concessions of their own.

I can just see Goodenow dropping the puck the opening night of the WHA.

Part of the problem with this league is it just DIED, if they weren't going to move forward with it, provide some info. It's like a lego set that I started when I was 4, got bored, didn't touch it again until I was 6 and it just sat in the basement collecting dust in between. Ok, well kind of like my lego set.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Yea.. i dont get it either why players currently with the NHLPA would switch over to play for WHA with an even lower proposed salary cap.

But I can see fringe and euro players playing for the WHA and juniors graduating to play for the CBA if the NHL is still in the lockout.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
If any NHLPA member sets one foot on WHA ice under a salary cap, how could they look into a camera and state that they'd never play under a cap in the NHL? Credibility, let me introduce you to obliteration. Obliteration, credibility. :dunno:

Would the WHA owners and their numbers be that much more trustworthy and saintly? Hardly.

And if they say they're only there to stay in shape, why would a fan pay one red cent to watch glorified shinny? It sure didn't work in the OSHL.

A Good Flying Bird*

Digger12 said:
If any NHLPA member sets one foot on WHA ice under a salary cap, how could they look into a camera and state that they'd never play under a cap in the NHL? Credibility, let me introduce you to obliteration. Obliteration, credibility. :dunno:
Credibility? It's pride.

I worked for a company and I was making pretty decent money. I worked hard and did a good job.
Suddenly, management decided changes had to be made. All these new demands they made really got under my skin. After all, they knew my work. I thought they respected my work. I was insulted by their sudden attitude change.
So I went somewhere else to work. Less money. More work.
But at least I didn't feel like my new bosses turned their back on me.
It was way too hard to go to work for a company that once respected you and was now treating you like a number.
Does it make sense? Not really. But it's the truth.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
BlackRedGold said:
People should be encouraging the WHA, not bashing it.

The original WHA is one of the main reasons why salaries grew exponentially, and why "normal" fans can no longer afford to go to the game.

I curse the WHA, not praise it.

Newsguyone said:
Credibility? It's pride.

So I went somewhere else to work. Less money. More work.
But at least I didn't feel like my new bosses turned their back on me.

That's fine. There are lots of valid reasons for taking less money.

But did you previously say "I will *NEVER* work for a company that does X", and then join them? Because that's what's hypocritical.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Esposito said:
"We've talked. I won't lie to you about that, but I've got to see whether the money's there. I've got to see whether the league is going to be solvent or not. There's a lot of things to be considered before that decision is made."

That's really the crux of the matter. Are people with serious money who can withstand heavy losses willing to risk it on this venture? I think their best best is to try raise venture capital just like any other business and then have a public stock offering. It could revolutionize professional sports. The NHLPA could turn out to be their biggest investor.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Buffaloed said:
Esposito said:

That's really the crux of the matter. Are people with serious money who can withstand heavy losses willing to risk it on this venture? I think their best best is to try raise venture capital just like any other business and then have a public stock offering. It could revolutionize professional sports. The NHLPA could turn out to be their biggest investor.

The WHA is not going to happen. I've been follwing this sad story since November 2003. It was over by the Summer 2004, yet it will not die! The WHA has no teams, leases, or players, yet they expect to start play early in 2005?? Give me a break! :dunce:

Brent Burns Beard