WHA - Bid for Crosby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site
Johnny Wishbone said:
I heard a rumour that Clarke is willing to pay Crosby 5 million per to join the league.

What an injection that would be!!!

With only 6 teams it would be hard to justify such investissement.

Also Syd, his father and his agent said often that the WHA is'nt an option for him. He'll play junior and go to the WJC.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
I think SC would be a fool to join the WHA. He needs time to develop into a top flight player with people his own size. He could easily get hurt in the WHA because there would be too many older players with less skill just going out to head hunt.

Johnny Wishbone

Jul 9, 2003
I meant to say Hull guys, sorry.
This "rumour" has been mouth to mouth in my area. Crosby lives 20 mins away and gossip has started that Hull has contacted Crosby expressing interest in signing him to a 1-2 yr contract for the 5M cap price.

I did not see the interview, but a guy from work said he saw Hull last night saying he would be foolish not to offer Crosby a deal. He is of big interest.

Again guys.....rumours/word of mouth stuff, but interesting.

Crosby could make 5M this coming WHA season, then go to the NHL and make 1.2M + bonuses.

I'd feel bad for RIM if he did that, but money could talk.

merlin

Mar 10, 2003
montreal
Visit site
I heard that on the radio (In montreal 98.5 FM I think, I switch a lot in the car...could be 690 AM) this morning. They didn't mention an amount but they said that the team interested is Halifax. They also said that the league would help out Halifax if a deal could be struck. I don't remember them mentioning a specific source.

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
Yeah but Crosby's Mom, Dad and Agent Want the Best For Sid... So He Will Play In The Q No Matter What... And Sid Won't Quit A Bunch Of Friend Like That.. Just To Do Some ****** Dollars... He Already Have A Lot Of Money And Will Be Millionaire In A Little More Than A Year. Crosby has brain...

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
In the WHA, there will be a 15M$ salary cap but teams will have the opportunity to pay their superstar 5M$ and it won't count on the cap. So Crosby would be a superstar in the league at 17 yrs old. I think that he won't spit on a 5M$ contract. Maybe a 1 year contract? To wait for his NHL draft year? It would be wise.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Why will he stay in the Q for sure? Hell, especially considering the rookie cap the NHLPA offered (850k, no bonuses), there's no way in hell Crosby would touch $5 million bucks until he's about 23-24 years old, and that's only if he becomes ONE HELL of an NHL'er.

Sounds like a good investment for both sides. The WHA could use a superstar.

Johnny Wishbone

Jul 9, 2003
It's all very interesting.
I think Crosby has a great head on his shoulders and great support around him. He will be a rich man very soon, but he could get 5M instead of an allowance from the Q. I think every hockey player wonders in the back of their mind, "what if I get seriously injured?"

There is a huge payday for Crosby if infact he wants it. He would be Hull's poster boy....just like Hully was many years ago.

No predictions from my end.

Also, I heard that they will try to locate players to teams that make sense. For example: Crosby would play in Halifax......Brett Hull in Dallas........even Owen Nolan in TOR.

It going to be awesome to see how this all unfolds!!

Sweeney

Nov 29, 2003
Rimouski
Visit site
Come On, I Live In Rimouski... and all you lived far far away from here... so i know what's going on for Sid Crosby better than all of you... if GM say that Crosby will be in Rimouski, he will stay in Rimouski, and he know and all his family know, that WHA is not the right path for his career

stockwizard*

CrosbyIsGod said:
Come On, I Live In Rimouski... and all you lived far far away from here... so i know what's going on for Sid Crosby better than all of you... if GM say that Crosby will be in Rimouski, he will stay in Rimouski, and he know and all his family know, that WHA is not the right path for his career
Why don't you phone Crosby up and ask him?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
*yawn*

If he's offered 5 million a year from some peanut league, and there's no hockey this coming year, he'll take it.

he could play in the WHA for a few years, light that league up and possibly become a free agent by age 21-22, having shown his stuff in an inferior league where he would at least put up decent numbers. At that point, he could basically name his price.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Jay Thompson said:
Sounds like a good investment for both sides. The WHA could use a superstar.

It's only a good investment for Crosby if he knows the WHA can pay him. How much of his $40 million USFL contract did Steve Young actually collect?

(And on the subject of that $5 million contract that's not subject to the WHA's salary cap, assuming an average ticket price of $30-40, a team would need to attract 3-4,000 extra fans a game to make that money back. If any of their teams does sign a $5 million player, I predict they'll be the one of the first to go belly-up.)

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
CrosbyIsGod said:

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad