We've had no drama at all this year.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I disagree. This has been a breath of fresh air. I love how low the leafs are flying under the radar in Toronto this year considering they are so bad. Not near as toxic for the young guys.

Hopefully this is not a jinx thread.

well like i said - the poop etc - i don't miss.

but even like.
"the leafs are looking at some KHL dude."
or
"The leafs are planning to make a trade,"

that i miss. (because basically i am tired about talking for the zillionth time about if Stamkos may or may not be a leaf :laugh:)

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
well like i said - the poop etc - i don't miss.

but even like.
"the leafs are looking at some KHL dude."
or
"The leafs are planning to make a trade,"

that i miss. (because basically i am tired about talking for the zillionth time about if Stamkos may or may not be a leaf :laugh:)

The only thing I miss is the hope (delusion?) that one tweak to the team or one emerging young player could make the team a playoff qualifier. That's gone for several years from my fan mindset.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
How's this for some drama?

CNIB-bxWIAEw51v.jpg

I love a good comedy

1AM

Jan 15, 2016
Atlantic Canada
This year is all about protecting the players from the fans that are not happy :help:

with the awesome turn around, and around :popcorn:

and the media owns the Team!!! :m-dance:

:leafs Go Leafs Go :leafs

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
What a boring year. We need a blockbuster ****ing deal to go down. Blockbuster ****ing deals put ***** in the seats. Blockbuster ****ing deals allow for guys like Cox, Simmons, and Arthur to come up with their best material. Lou needs to give the fans and media what we want.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
The biggest drama has come from other teams being frustrated with Komarov lol. That guy who went ham on Leo lol.

Also Leo not even caring and focusing on the play instead ROFL

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
This year is all about protecting the players from the fans that are not happy :help:

with the awesome turn around, and around :popcorn:

and the media owns the Team!!! :m-dance:

:leafs Go Leafs Go :leafs

Always great to see another person on here shouting GO LEAFS GO this season.

Welcome aboard 1AM and good to see you again.:handclap:

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
there's no drama for 2 reasons, first the expectations of the team were to be among to worst in the NHL everybody expected bottom 5, which is right where we are so how would there be any drama there? and the 2nd reason is most players are playing up to there potential or exceeding it so far this year. people expected Bozak and JVR to regress without Kessel, hasn't happened, people though Komarov contract wasn't very good and he's exceeding expectations by alot, Kadri's been solid, PAP's been good, Phaneuf has been better then last year, Gardiner hasn't struggled, Reilly's taken a step forward in his development, Lupul got injuried, pretty much everything has gone right with the team so far minus Bernier. very few players have not met or exceeded expectations.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
there's no drama for 2 reasons, first the expectations of the team were to be among to worst in the NHL everybody expected bottom 5, which is right where we are so how would there be any drama there? and the 2nd reason is most players are playing up to there potential or exceeding it so far this year. people expected Bozak and JVR to regress without Kessel, hasn't happened, people though Komarov contract wasn't very good and he's exceeding expectations by alot, Kadri's been solid, PAP's been good, Phaneuf has been better then last year, Gardiner hasn't struggled, Reilly's taken a step forward in his development, Lupul got injuried, pretty much everything has gone right with the team so far minus Bernier. very few players have not met or exceeded expectations.

Not so much for Grabner, Matthias and Marincin, they're playing kinda meh.

But what we've seen from Bernier speaks volumes about him because literally every other returning Leaf has met or exceeded expectations.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Isn't it a beautiful thing?

Leafs had a circus mentality previously, rumors and player movement stuff leaking. GM on the radio all the time, or making dumb bold predictions (Burke saying he'd trade up to get Tavares).

Lou and our management staff is just all business, what needs to be done, gets done, and that is all that matters.

LeafsMonster

Marlanderthews
Feb 3, 2012
Toronto
Leafs had a circus mentality previously, rumors and player movement stuff leaking. GM on the radio all the time, or making dumb bold predictions (Burke saying he'd trade up to get Tavares).

Lou and our management staff is just all business, what needs to be done, gets done, and that is all that matters.
This. Its like the leafs are in therapy atm, working through the issues, building themselves back up. And fans are backing up, as is media, and letting them do their thing until they are ready.

Fans are still chanting go leafs go for a team that is close to last place. Its all because the management has clarified we are rebuilding. We know what to expect and I think a lot of us see and appreciate the positive changes in structure, attitude and play. We trust our coach and gm.

Just a breath of fresh air. I love it.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
This. Its like the leafs are in therapy atm, working through the issues, building themselves back up. And fans are backing up, as is media, and letting them do their thing until they are ready.

Fans are still chanting go leafs go for a team that is close to last place. Its all because the management has clarified we are rebuilding. We know what to expect and I think a lot of us see and appreciate the positive changes in structure, attitude and play. We trust our coach and gm.

Just a breath of fresh air. I love it.

Yeah, it's a realistic promise on management's part.

Personally speaking...

Much easier to watch then Nonis fumbling and signing guys like Robidas and Clarkson in a desperate bid to try to make 7-8th place, it was such a mediocre goal to achieve and the results were even more disappointing, we couldn't even do that.

We're a bad team, but I can see the structure and work ethic. It's all I ask, I see this style of hockey having a future for us. Unlike the run and gun we played before which would never bring in a cup.

In regards to the media, I don't care. There is only a select few I respect outside of the TSN guys (Mirtle and Zeisberger). Hate Simmons, Cox and guys who have agendas and try to do sensationalistic articles for hits.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
No drama just speaks to the professionalism that's being demonstrated by the team ... The culture is changing.

That is the way I would have put it as well.

I'm sure MLSE ownership loves the professionalism at which this current dream management team conducts business in a professional way.

I think the way they treat the media and public has gotten everyone on board that his is turning a corner and everyone is seeing progress and thus the patience required is being accepted.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The team finally has strong leadership where it counts the most - Management and coaching rather than any individual players.

Shanahan/Lou/Babcock have done an amazing job at sheltering players.

Lou shuts down rumors, Babcock is a great communicator with his players and avoids throwing them under the bus to the media even when they've underperformed.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
The team finally has strong leadership where it counts the most - Management and coaching rather than any individual players.

Shanahan/Lou/Babcock have done an amazing job at sheltering players.

Lou shuts down rumors, Babcock is a great communicator with his players and avoids throwing them under the bus to the media even when they've underperformed.

No one is on the block.

Burke over promised and under delivered.

Lou and our management team have been pretty consistent in the "rebuilding" message. Zero expectations, and there won't be for a bit. I don't see next year going much differently.

Dreger actually put it quite well the other day, he thought we'd be more skilled next year, but because of the nature of playing younger players with the highs and lows, we may get the same result.

It'll be a while to put it lightly.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
Not so much for Grabner, Matthias and Marincin, they're playing kinda meh.

But what we've seen from Bernier speaks volumes about him because literally every other returning Leaf has met or exceeded expectations.

you expected more out of those 3? because most didn't. Marincin was always expected to be a 6/7 guy, Grabner was expect to kill some penalties and be a healthy scratch at times, and Mathias I guess you could say he should have a bit more offense right now, but he's created/had a lot of chances to score just has no finish so it's pretty hard to say those guys havent met expectations.

TLeafsFan

A True BeLeafer
May 16, 2014
Eastern Ontario
you expected more out of those 3? because most didn't. Marincin was always expected to be a 6/7 guy, Grabner was expect to kill some penalties and be a healthy scratch at times, and Mathias I guess you could say he should have a bit more offense right now, but he's created/had a lot of chances to score just has no finish so it's pretty hard to say those guys havent met expectations.

Expectations, no. Hopeful, yes.

Bernier has been an utter disappointment through and through.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Agreed with the OP. I think having Babcock, but perhaps more importantly, Lou, come on board has really helped that. It's put a bit of a distance between the team and the media, for one, and it's also helped to ensure that not only do the players understand the new standard, but it allows them to feel a bit more protected in this ruthless market.

No drama? What about the goaltending drama, more specifically the Bernier drama?

That's on-ice drama, and that's going to occur in every market.

What we haven't had any of this year, is the litany of non-hockey issues like we had last year; Kessel's skate-gate, Kadri missing practice / being suspended by the team, players showing up late for practice, players getting into it with the media, etc.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Other thing I wanted to add - I think Babcock's pressers have also contributed to that; even with the Bernier struggles going on, he always delivers very bland, dull pressers and responses to questions deliberately - so as to not give the media any sensational quotes to run with.

Does anyone remember Babcock saying anything explosive or lending towards a big story this year? He's very good with the media here. The Leafs this year are pretty much a closed shop, which is great.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
No offense but most persons in my aquantance have long given up on the leafs. I think I am the last one standing. The leafs used to be a much bigger deal than they are now.

Don't confuse apathy for approval.

OvenMittz*

I hope it stays this way and the media doesn't chip away at the wall and fond ways to leak through..

I can't see the media being okay with this, they will be pressured to try harder.

I hope this new management never changes

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Other thing I wanted to add - I think Babcock's pressers have also contributed to that; even with the Bernier struggles going on, he always delivers very bland, dull pressers and responses to questions deliberately - so as to not give the media any sensational quotes to run with.

Does anyone remember Babcock saying anything explosive or lending towards a big story this year? He's very good with the media here. The Leafs this year are pretty much a closed shop, which is great.

yes. his lovefest on Chicago :laugh:
it was like did ya watch the game? I love that team!

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Management has settled in nicely, looking for some action before trade deadline day though. We need a good run until then. I think Reimer is our most tradable player besides the untouchables right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad