News Article: Western Expansion Driving Proposed OVerhaul to AHL, ECHL and CHL in 2015/16

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
There are proposed changes coming to the AHL next year...

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...-ahl--echl--and-chl-in-2015-16-091626868.html

Proposal to reorganize the AHL teams to hvae them geographically closer.

For example, the article points out the case of the Abbottsford Heat, the Calgary Flames AHL team which plays in the Western Conf. but the closest teams to them are Iowa and Oklahoma over 1800 miles away.

This was a nightmare for Flames prospects, where a flight to visit a divisional rival was an all-day affair, and the youngsters were away from home 80 days out of the year -- far more than any other AHL franchise. When you're trying to turn a raw prospect into an NHLer, all that lost practice time adds up. As does the fatigue. And it's difficult to help a kid establish an organized, professional life when he's living out of a suitcase all year.

From the sounds of it, we should expect almost the entirety of the ECHL's Western Conference to join the AHL in 2015-16. Mixed with the proper Western markets already in the AHL and a dash of creativity, there might be enough to build a formal, 15 or 16-team conference.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I certainly hope this happens as it would give so many Kings fans more of a reason to drive to Ontario to watch what may be future stars with the team. I'd much prefer that than watching ECHL hockey.

rajuabju

The One & Only
Dec 30, 2006
Los Angeles
I certainly hope this happens as it would give so many Kings fans more of a reason to drive to Ontario to watch what may be future stars with the team. I'd much prefer that than watching ECHL hockey.

Couldnt agree more.

I love the Kings, but I'm not willing to drive to Ontario to watch ECHL hockey. Yes, I know, some Kings prospects play there... but they are generally 2nd/3rd tier guys.

If there was an AHL affiliate of the Kings? I'd make the trip for some games.

Also, arent the Reign one of the top ECHL teams in terms of attendance? That shows the Ontario area can support an AHL club to me. Their location is perfect in term of distance to LA/Anaheim where they have a good base aroudn them, and I'm sure as an AHL team they could draw in more people from areas such as Hesperia and Corona.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I live less than 10 minutes from Citizens Bank Arena. I would love it if the AHL affiliate moved there and would certainly attend more games.

JBernierFan

Drink up!
Jul 10, 2006
San Diego
Despite living in San Diego, I'd make the trek for a weekend game, or when I'm visiting my family in LA, if it was for an AHL game. It's too far to drive now for ECHL hockey. Honestly, I wish the Gulls never disbanded in San Diego. I loved going to those. :(

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
Despite living in San Diego, I'd make the trek for a weekend game, or when I'm visiting my family in LA, if it was for an AHL game. It's too far to drive now for ECHL hockey. Honestly, I wish the Gulls never disbanded in San Diego. I loved going to those. :(

Maybe we can see a resurrection. Loved going to those games!

Captain Mittens*

I have never been to Citizens Bank but I would see a AHL game there

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Lombardi, as well as other west coast GM's have wanted this to happen for years. It takes well over a day to get a prospect to LA when someone goes down with an injury, yet when the same injury happen to an east coast team, it may be only a cab ride away.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
I live 15 min from the Ontario arena but only go to 1-3 games a season but will take in many many more if it was the AHL well around the King home games of coarse. And I'm guessing the Reign would move to Long Beach or maybe San Diego.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I've attended NHL games at the Great Western Forum, The Pond, Staples, HP Pavilion, Air Canada Centre (oh yeah Frozen Fury too), NCAA games at Michigan and Bowling Green, took in an OHL game at Mississauga, and have attended an ECHL game in Toledo and one in Long Beach, and I must say, the quality of hockey in the ECHL is probably the least exciting hockey I've witnessed live. Having a local AHL team would be awesome.

onlyalad

The bounce
Jan 13, 2008
So the Kings would have 2 AHL teams? And some teams still sharing teams?
I like the idea of the Monarchs. I like having two tiers of players in training.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I've attended NHL games at the Great Western Forum, The Pond, Staples, HP Pavilion, Air Canada Centre (oh yeah Frozen Fury too), NCAA games at Michigan and Bowling Green, took in an OHL game at Mississauga, and have attended an ECHL game in Toledo and one in Long Beach, and I must say, the quality of hockey in the ECHL is probably the least exciting hockey I've witnessed live. Having a local AHL team would be awesome.

Never really gave it much thought until now, but yeah, it would be AWESOME!

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
So the Kings would have 2 AHL teams?

Nah, the Monarchs essentially will be moving their operation to Ontario. I would assume Manchester would pick up another franchise. I live about 10 minutes door to door to Citizen's Bank Arena, a really good hockey venue, and would become a season ticket holder in a heartbeat. It just does not interest me to see guys at the ECHL level play, since 98% of the players have very little chance of making then NHL.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I caught a game there a couple years ago during the lockout and really liked the arena. Nice and spacious, good concessions, and a great layout. They have these cool little areas with couches set up by the ice, I would imagine they are like rinkside suites.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I'm still hoping that SD can land one of the AHL squads. The Gulls were briefly the ECHL affiliate for the Ducks. Back when Brian Burke was Anaheim's GM, he was pitching a Western Division for the AHL and mentioned SD as one of the potential cities.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

I'd give an arm for a local echl level team in the uk to watch, you don't know how spoiled you are. Lol. Our now defunct Superleague was slightly better than the echl and I really miss that. I hardly attend games now as my local team plays in what is a probably lower than junior B league. It hurts.

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Count me in as well. Would be more than willing to drive over from West LA to catch some Monarchs games in Ontario. Love watching the prospects.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad