GDT: Western conference side story 4pm

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
He hasn't been playing 11.5mil good (really, no one's been playing up to their contracts this year), but he's been consistently a top-2/3 player on this team.

Thank you.

I watched about 10-15 games of Karl last season, at the start. Then he mostly floated and never played like he really cared. Very little effort.

Is that still the biggest problem, or something else?

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Thank you.

I watched about 10-15 games of Karl last season, at the start. Then he mostly floated and never played like he really cared. Very little effort.

The team sucks is the biggest problem

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Thank you.

There are two things that personally stick out to me the most:

1. He gets beat often to the inside defensively, and sometimes makes baffling pinches and stand-ups
2. The coaching staff has no idea how to use him effectively (Boog's better, but PDB had no clue)

Earlier in the season he had a kid, so most of us assume that he was probably just worn out from that.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
There are two things that personally stick out to me the most:

1. He gets beat often to the inside defensively, and sometimes makes baffling pinches and stand-ups
2. The coaching staff has no idea how to use him effectively (Boog's better, but PDB had no clue)

Earlier in the season he had a kid, so most of us assume that he was probably just worn out from that.

I've actually thought the same thing, from what I saw.

Either he stopped doing the things that set him apart from all other defencemen during his peak years in Ottawa (skating the puck out of the zone and into offensive zone at will, making incredible tape to tape passes cross ice, run the power-plays, break up counters by amazing skating and positioning), or the coaches told him to act more conservatively, stripping him from everything that at one point made him the best in the world.

Too bad SJ lacks 2-3 high end forwards that he can build chemistry with.

Guess your hope is to land some free agents, but there isn't much cap room anyway?

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I've actually thought the same thing, from what I saw.

Either he stopped doing the things that set him apart from all other defencemen during his peak years in Ottawa (skating the puck out of the zone and into offensive zone at will, making incredible tape to tape passes cross ice, run the power-plays, break up counters by amazing skating and positioning), or the coaches told him to act more conservatively, stripping him from everything that at one point made him the best in the world.

Too bad SJ lacks 2-3 high end forwards that he can build chemistry with.

Guess your hope is to land some free agents, but there isn't much cap room anyway?

I think it's somewhere along these lines. The same thing happened with Burns as well, whereas in 2016 he was an absolute monster and a true rover all over the ice. Eventually the system under PDB became "pass to the point, fire from there, try to get tips", which obviously became incredibly easy to defend. There was less of an initiative for creative offense, which is obviously Karlsson's bread and butter. Again, it's been better under Boughner, but it still almost feels like no one is ready for EK's plays or that the forward group is just too bad to do anything with.

We're hoping to shed some cap soon; Dillon will probably be on the way out, and I'd imagine Doug will try to unload one of the bigger contracts on our roster (Vlasic, maybe even Burns or Couture if he gets real desperate). It'll probably be a couple years of missing the playoffs or just barely making it in, trying to gather picks and prospects. It's not like 2015 where the team was only a piece or two away from being a contender again.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
I think it's somewhere along these lines. The same thing happened with Burns as well, whereas in 2016 he was an absolute monster and a true rover all over the ice. Eventually the system under PDB became "pass to the point, fire from there, try to get tips", which obviously became incredibly easy to defend. There was less of an initiative for creative offense, which is obviously Karlsson's bread and butter. Again, it's been better under Boughner, but it still almost feels like no one is ready for EK's plays or that the forward group is just too bad to do anything with.

We're hoping to shed some cap soon; Dillon will probably be on the way out, and I'd imagine Doug will try to unload one of the bigger contracts on our roster (Vlasic, maybe even Burns or Couture if he gets real desperate). It'll probably be a couple years of missing the playoffs or just barely making it in, trying to gather picks and prospects. It's not like 2015 where the team was only a piece or two away from being a contender again.

Yes.

Sadly, SJ is in a pretty bad spot right now. The forward group has to be bottom-5 in the NHL, with no real gems in the pipeline either, from what I've seen and heard?

Karl is "only" 29 and should still have 3-5 very productive years left, so there is a chance that you'll be back in the race around 2023-2024. :)

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Yes.

Sadly, SJ is in a pretty bad spot right now. The forward group has to be bottom-5 in the NHL, with no real gems in the pipeline either, from what I've seen and heard?

Karl is "only" 29 and should still have 3-5 very productive years left, so there is a chance that you'll be back in the race around 2023-2024. :)

Doug put all of his eggs in one basket this season, namely that our prospect pool would reap rewards. So far, it really hasn't done that, and a lot of guys we expected to succeed have taken a step back or just haven't taken the reins with their time up here.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Doug put all of his eggs in one basket this season, namely that our prospect pool would reap rewards. So far, it really hasn't done that, and a lot of guys we expected to succeed have taken a step back or just haven't taken the reins with their time up here.

I mainly follow Buffalo now, so I can sympathise with you.

Let's hope for some more of this next season....

Reactions: Pavelski2112

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yes.

Sharks will contend next season. DW is constant in his ability to reload and refresh his roster. Whatever he does to fix the team it's likely no one here has thought of it yet.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Sharks will contend next season. DW is constant in his ability to reload and refresh his roster. Whatever he does to fix the team it's likely no one here has thought of it yet.

In order for that to happen and him hsving csp to work with, he pretty much has to trade Karlsson?

The better UFA:s get the bank thrown at them.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
In order for that to happen and him hsving csp to work with, he pretty much has to trade Karlsson?

Why Karlsson? Players like Burns, Vlasic, Couture are more likely to get moved before we ever move Karlsson. Also, the Sharks have 18M+ in cap space for next season. We cannot rebuild our entire roster but the only glaring hole(s) are in the top-6. We have decent bottom-6 depth for now and the future. If DW makes one top-6 acquisition via trade/UFA we are a much better team. if he can somehow work his magic and land us two, we are going to be a playoff team next season.

Reactions: themelkman

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

Trade EK65? Dude, that makes no sense. Sharks really only need 1 right winger from UFA and maybe a decent goalie. Doesn't even need to be super star. Somebody to put in 20 to 25 goals and 50 or more points and not be a liability in the D zone. If they can move any contracts it's likely Jones, or Vlasic, or Burns and in that order. Moving just one should give them enough room to retool the roster into a contender assuming everyone is healthy to start the season. Sharks bottom 6 should be set for a few years with the prospects in the system and I'm still holding out hope that at least 1 develops into a top 6 player. I think the Sharks and most of us were a year early on our anticipation for the AHLers development. Next season the young guys will look better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad