Series Talk: WCQF: Winnipeg Jets Vs. Colorado Avalanche (COL lead 3-1)

What's your prediction for the series result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lions67

Mar 6, 2018
Winnipeg
There are probably four, and at least three players on Colorado who are better than any Jet players. It would be stupid to deny this.
After that, however, there are about 20 Jet players who are as good as, or better than every Colorado player after their top four. I'm exaggerating, but not by all that much. Underestimate the Jets talent at your own peril.
The Jets, when playing their best, play a game that no one has been able to beat this season. During November and December, when they went 34 games without giving up more than three goals, there wasn't a team in the league that could beat them in a seven game series. Not one. If that Jets team shows up for the playoffs they will be very, very tough for anyone to beat.
On the other hand, the Jets have had a couple of streaks when they haven't played their best, and when that happens, quite literally anyone can beat them. Anyone. So the question is which Jets team shows up. If it's the good Jets, they win the series no matter how well Colorado plays. The combination of an incredible defensive system and possibly the best depth in the league makes them unbeatable.
I just don't know if that will be the Jets team that shows up. That's why I'm not making a prediction.
Jets fan here and you summed this up perfectly.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
What about Colorado’s “good” team.

In the 2022 playoffs, Nuke, Lehkonen, and Toews all played out their gawd damn minds.( along with Kadri and Byram)

If the Avs get those 3 performances again along with the other big 3, they’re going to be tough to beat.

and if someone can just convince Georgiev that he’s playing every game agains the Rangers.. we might just see another cup run this year.

A lot to ask, but at least the potential is there.
Oh sure, the potential is there for any team to beat any other team. Some teams just seem to have other team's number, though. For whatever reason, the Jets have Colorado's number this season. On the other hand, they can't beat Vegas to save their lives. Makes no sense.

My personal opinion, which is based on me asking myself "What do you think?" is that the "good" Jets beat the "good" Avalanche, the "medium" Avalanche beat the "medium" Jets, and the "bad" Jets and "bad" Avalanche never get to play, because they get lost trying to find the ice from their dressing rooms.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Surprised Colorado's road record is so bad this year. Jets going on a streak to get home ice might end up being huge.

Reactions: Summer Rose

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
Avs goaltending the X factor here and I suspect it will be serviceable, Avs in 6 cause of the star power, and cause they’re terrible in game 7 in this era.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Avs are a long shot with our goaltending, if it wasnt for our Goalies I’d vote Avs.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
This is the easiest series to predict; Avs win in six if goaltending is average, Jets win in five if Avs goaltending has been what it has been this season. Lol.

The Jets can play against the Avs quite well, but some of their wins were sort of flukey like when MacKinnon was out for one or two of those games. I don't think the regular season will showcase the disparity that happened, Avs will raise their game and I suggest that Bednar is competent enough to figure out what went wrong and make adjustments.

This doesn't mean I am undervaluing the Jets ability to shut down teams though, Lowry is one of the best in the league and will get to play a lot against MacKinnon due to having home-field advantage. I very much respect that ability and factor in Hellebuyck who quite easily is a top 3 goaler in the league. With that said, I do think Avs possess superior depth throughout, especially offensively. Has that shown up lately? No, not really, but I give Avs the edge in that ability on paper, I could see the Jets defensive core as a unit struggling against Avs speed, ferociousness, and talent to roll four lines one after each other. That doesn't mean the Jets do not have options as well, and can absolutely expose Avs defensive issues as well along with potentially super poor goaltending. That's exactly what they did during the season series, but again, Bednar is no doofus, he likely knows how Winnipeg won all the games and will come up with a gameplay against that. The problem then comes back down to goaltending where if Avs can overcome leaky goals constantly...so that question is a no.

• Haha
Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
The Avs are one of the teams I'd be ok with winning it all if my Jets and Rangers don't. Hopefully it's a good clean series!

Reactions: Avsfan1921

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Bowness coached teams seem to play pretty well against the Avs.

I think Winnipeg is pretty dangerous, as long as their offense doesn't dry up cause of his system. But Bowness hockey is playoff hockey and this Winnipeg team is probably deeper than the Stars teams Bowness coached. Will be interesting to see if the Avs can flip the script based on how the regular season series went.

I'm saying Jets in 6, primarily cause of goaltending.

Johnny HFBOARDS

Trade you!
Dec 10, 2011
Earth
There are probably four, and at least three players on Colorado who are better than any Jet players. It would be stupid to deny this.
After that, however, there are about 20 Jet players who are as good as, or better than every Colorado player after their top four. I'm exaggerating, but not by all that much. Underestimate the Jets talent at your own peril.
The Jets, when playing their best, play a game that no one has been able to beat this season. During November and December, when they went 34 games without giving up more than three goals, there wasn't a team in the league that could beat them in a seven game series. Not one. If that Jets team shows up for the playoffs they will be very, very tough for anyone to beat.
On the other hand, the Jets have had a couple of streaks when they haven't played their best, and when that happens, quite literally anyone can beat them. Anyone. So the question is which Jets team shows up. If it's the good Jets, they win the series no matter how well Colorado plays. The combination of an incredible defensive system and possibly the best depth in the league makes them unbeatable.
I just don't know if that will be the Jets team that shows up. That's why I'm not making a prediction.
What are you sniff'in?

If the Jets didn't go to Colorado on the regular ride the Avs like little ponies, you wouldn't even be able to point out Winnipeg on an a map without the help of Miss South Carolina and such.

4F5TGO.gif

Avs in 3 and such.
b2775478-48f5-4214-b27a-d281499e2b42.jpg

Last edited:

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs goaltending situation is a massive question mark. Doesn´t bode well when you go into a bunch of games needing 4+ goals a night.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
The Avs goaltending situation is a massive question mark. Doesn´t bode well when you go into a bunch of games needing 4+ goals a night.
^this

I dont trust Georgiev in goal for the Avs . He had a season where he gave up 1-2 goals every 10 shots. In regular season you can get away with it by winning 5-4 and 6-5 , but not in the playoffs.

Reactions: Summer Rose

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
This is the easiest series to predict; Avs win in six if goaltending is average, Jets win in five if Avs goaltending has been what it has been this season. Lol.

The Jets can play against the Avs quite well, but some of their wins were sort of flukey like when MacKinnon was out for one or two of those games. I don't think the regular season will showcase the disparity that happened, Avs will raise their game and I suggest that Bednar is competent enough to figure out what went wrong and make adjustments.

This doesn't mean I am undervaluing the Jets ability to shut down teams though, Lowry is one of the best in the league and will get to play a lot against MacKinnon due to having home-field advantage. I very much respect that ability and factor in Hellebuyck who quite easily is a top 3 goaler in the league. With that said, I do think Avs possess superior depth throughout, especially offensively. Has that shown up lately? No, not really, but I give Avs the edge in that ability on paper, I could see the Jets defensive core as a unit struggling against Avs speed, ferociousness, and talent to roll four lines one after each other. That doesn't mean the Jets do not have options as well, and can absolutely expose Avs defensive issues as well along with potentially super poor goaltending. That's exactly what they did during the season series, but again, Bednar is no doofus, he likely knows how Winnipeg won all the games and will come up with a gameplay against that. The problem then comes back down to goaltending where if Avs can overcome leaky goals constantly...so that question is a no.
The Avs have superior depth? Their lack of depth makes their road record what it is. The Jets have a guy with 17 goals not even dressed. Their back up goaltender has a .928 sv%.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
Oooh. A little bit of spicey hate already happening. Love it!

Should be a fun series - im hoping for 4 entertaining games before the jets move on to round 2. His name is Fourgiev - seems fitting he would be swept.

In all seriousness - the closer we get to game 1 im getting more nervous. Hoping the jets win game one to get it out of the way and ease the nerves. If they don’t and the first game is a disaster for the Jets - I could see Colorado taking it easily too. Both teams are just so good minus Georgiev

I always cheer for the team that knocks out the jets to win the cup so we can say we were beaten by the best. So Avs fans - IF the Jets do get knocked out - you’ll have one Jets fan rooting for you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad