News Article: Werenski will miss The Joe

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Zach Werenski has a nice article up at the Blue Jackets' web site.

Everyone says it, and they're right: all you have to do is look up in the rafters or walk around the concourses to see how special the building is: decades of tradition, dozens of the game's all-time greatest players, and a large handful of Stanley Cup championships. The Red Wings and Joe Louis Arena embody what every kid who aspires to be a National Hockey League player wants or wanted.

Hope the next barn can live up to its predecessor.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
:p honestly, kinda wish Holland could have some better luck at tapping into some of these kids who grew up Wings fans. I still think Trouba looks to come to Detroit in a few years, though that doesn't help us now.

Tapping into these players how? When they become free agents? I don't think Holland has to sell local Michigan players on why playing for the Red Wings is awesome. I just don't put too much stock in players "coming home." It rarely happens. Hatcher, Rafalski, and Modano are the last star players I can think of that did so, and that was well later in their careers. Also helps the Red Wings were a legit team.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Tapping into these players how? When they become free agents? I don't think Holland has to sell local Michigan players on why playing for the Red Wings is awesome. I just don't put too much stock in players "coming home." It rarely happens. Hatcher, Rafalski, and Modano are the last star players I can think of that did so, and that was well later in their careers. Also helps the Red Wings were a legit team.

Yep. We don't see it very often because the situation doesn't come up very often, but given the parity of the league I don't see a lot of difference between the majority of organizations. If a guy like Trouba hits free agency and can sign with one of the handful of teams noticeably better than the rest, yeah, being the hometown team has some pull, imo. Unless we're just a cluster bomb of disaster at that point.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It was one of the worst sports stadiums I have ever been to with one of the best teams I have ever seen assembled.

The pistons ruined the next building. Give me Olympia.

The sweet irony of the article coming from a team with one of the nicest stadiums. Its only blemish being named after a bank.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
A 19 year old waxing poetic about a poorly built arena which wasn't made for hockey that's been around all of what, thirty something years? Back in the old days when he was just a kid?

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
A 19 year old waxing poetic about a poorly built arena which wasn't made for hockey that's been around all of what, thirty something years? Back in the old days when he was just a kid?

What's your point? JLA holds different memories for everyone who's seen a game there.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

I smiled at the title of the next article calling the Joe "historic". I guess the second oldest arena next to MSG it is actually historic after 38 years. The Joe for me will be tied into the beginnings when Yzerman was drafted, to Lidstrom, and Zetterberg. That's stability having 3 captains in 30 years as opposed to 18(?) captains in 13 previously. The Joe was a great era for the Wings.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Jacob Trouba
Aaron Ekblad
Zach Werenski

All grew up fairly big Red Wing fans, no? ;)

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
werenskis letter to the red wings just makes me think he's gonna be a wing way down the road

Suavecito

Oct 8, 2016
Milwaukee
werenskis letter to the red wings just makes me think he's gonna be a wing way down the road
Yeah - very touching letter indeed.

Funny - he wants a 'chair' from the Joe, but what concerns me most is what will become of the troughs from the men's bathrooms?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad