Werenski & McAvoy vs Provorov & Chabot

sanitysrequiem

Nov 14, 2009
I've been thinking about it and sometimes prospect defensemen rise to prominence in inseparable duos. I remember Alex Pietrangelo and OEL were always compared to each other before they were in the NHL (and still are now, it's that close).

Then it happened again with Werenski and Provorov, who have different playing styles but had a razor thin margin between them as prospects (both also had great rookie seasons in the NHL).

And now it seems as though McAvoy and Chabot are that next duo. Drafted in the same year. The #1 Canadian d-man in the juniors versus the #1 American. One tore up the CHL while the other tore up the NCAA. And they are now primed to step into the NHL.

My question is, long-term would you rather have Werenski & McAvoy or Provorov & Chabot?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Werenski > Provorov > McAvoy > Chabot

McAvoy played well in the playoffs, Chabot still hasn't proven anything in the NHL.

Werenski/McAvoy for me.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Chabot had a very decorated Juniour campaign this previous year,

that has to garner some value despite not playing at the NHL level...

1/ Werenski

2/ Provorov

3/ Chabot

4/ McAvoy

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
werenski is better than provorov. the other 2 prospects are a wash

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Werenski and McAvoy quite easily for me

Werenski=<Provy
McAvoy>>Chabot
for me
I see McAvoy and Werenski as future 1D (top 20 or top 15 D)
And while I like Provy the best here and think he will become a top 10 D, I see Chabot as a future excellent 2D

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Chabot had a very decorated Juniour campaign this previous year,

that has to garner some value despite not playing at the NHL level...

1/ Werenski

2/ Provorov

3/ Chabot

4/ McAvoy

It doesn't count for much when McAvoy saw so much success in the NHL playoffs already. At this point, until Chabot moves to the NHL it isn't close.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Werenski right now, even though I adore Provorov and think he has #1 d potential.

McAvoy is a hell of a prospect and he really impressed me in the playoffs, but I think I've got Chabot ahead of him slightly. Not a big enough gap or enough time in the NHL from either to make a definitive statement yet.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
It doesn't count for much when McAvoy saw so much success in the NHL playoffs already. At this point, until Chabot moves to the NHL it isn't close.

Chabot was better head to head in the World Juniors and had a much more impressive year in the QMJHL than McAvoy had in the NCAA.

McAvoy was very impressive in the playoffs, but who's to say Chabot wouldn't have been too if his team had gotten knocked out of the playoffs early?

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Would be inclined to see how Werenski and Provorov do with their partners reversed. McAvoy had a great playoff debut, but it was only 6 games, while Chabot needs to show what he can do in the bigs.

Voted too close to call at this point

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Option 2 for me. I'm going to be a bit of a homer here but I think Chabot is going to be the best of these 4 defenseman.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Would be inclined to see how Werenski and Provorov do with their partners reversed. McAvoy had a great playoff debut, but it was only 6 games, while Chabot needs to show what he can do in the bigs.

Voted too close to call at this point

No kidding.

poor Provorov dragging around the corpse of Andrew MacDonald. But it seems to be a hazing ritual, lol. Ghost did it when he was a rookie. Then Provorov. I guess Sanheim gets that task this coming year?

What's honestly bad, is that Hakstol actually thinks AMac is good. Called him a top 4 Dman. That has Flyers fans the most worried as we expect AMac to be paired with AMac again this year despite better options.

But FWIW, the big gap between Werenski and Provorov was on the special teams. Werenski got #1 PP time, Provy got #2 time. Provy was the go to PK guy, Werenski was used sparingly. And with Philly having Ghost for the #1PP unit, that is not likely to change for Provy.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
No kidding.

poor Provorov dragging around the corpse of Andrew MacDonald. But it seems to be a hazing ritual, lol. Ghost did it when he was a rookie. Then Provorov. I guess Sanheim gets that task this coming year?

What's honestly bad, is that Hakstol actually thinks AMac is good. Called him a top 4 Dman. That has Flyers fans the most worried as we expect AMac to be paired with AMac again this year despite better options.

But FWIW, the big gap between Werenski and Provorov was on the special teams. Werenski got #1 PP time, Provy got #2 time. Provy was the go to PK guy, Werenski was used sparingly. And with Philly having Ghost for the #1PP unit, that is not likely to change for Provy.

Werenski wasn't just gifted the minutes, he happens to be an elite PP producer. He'd push Ghost to second unit.

And if you think at evens Werenski only looks better because of Jones, look at his relative corsi. Werenski has the highest relative corsi among rookie D ever recorded.

The things Flyers fans tell themselves about Werenski are usually misinformation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad