News: Werenski fires his agent

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
.....and this note about the fired agent makes it more interesting

"Brisson still has one major client in the Blue Jackets’ dressing room — defenseman Seth Jones, who plays on the top pairing with Werenski and is one of his best buds off the ice. As of now, it appears that Jones is still a Brisson client."

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
How much is this guy worth on a long term contract ? Only looking at his offensive stats i'm thinking 7m minimum and probably more than that but i haven't watched him play in a long time and missed all the Habs Jackets games last year so just wondering

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
How much is this guy worth on a long term contract ? Only looking at his offensive stats i'm thinking 7m minimum and probably more than that but i haven't watched him play in a long time and missed all the Habs Jackets games last year so just wondering
Trouba got $8 mill per on a 7 year deal when he was in the same situation as Werenski, a year out from UFA.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Werenski, when healthy is an excellent player. Tremendous instincts and competent in his own zone. He would elevate any team's PP and overall offensive scheme. One of the legit play drivers from the backend.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
A bit off topic but can Pat Represent his son Brendan? Was curious about that.
If anything it would be the reverse of conflict of interest, because he would truly want the best deal possible for his “client”. There are a lot of lesser-known players and some big-name players from a couple of decades ago who used their dad as their agent. You just hope it doesn’t go all Jack Johnson on you.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If anything it would be the reverse of conflict of interest, because he would truly want the best deal possible for his “client”. There are a lot of lesser-known players and some big-name players from a couple of decades ago who used their dad as their agent. You just hope it doesn’t go all Jack Johnson on you.

That was a terrible situation. His family was in charge of his money though not representing him as an agent right?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Werenski still has one year on his current deal & one year of team control after. Didn’t Trouba just have one year when being dealt?
Same situation, meaning when Werenski's current contract expires next season. He would have put in his 3 year ELC, plus a 3 year bridge. Trouba did his ELC, 2 year bridge, a 1 year arbitration award. So, both would have accrued 6 of the 7 years needed towards free agency.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Is Brisson less popular with players these days ? I watched as both Domi and Patches both let him go but I thought that was more because Brisson is good friends of Bergevin and these players were on the outs with the team.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Same situation, meaning when Werenski's current contract expires next season. He would have put in his 3 year ELC, plus a 3 year bridge. Trouba did his ELC, 2 year bridge, a 1 year arbitration award. So, both would have accrued 6 of the 7 years needed towards free agency.
What I’m saying is it would be the same situation next year and not this offseason.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is Brisson less popular with players these days ? I watched as both Domi and Patches both let him go but I thought that was more because Brisson is good friends of Bergevin and these players were on the outs with the team.

I was wondering the same thing. Seemed like not long ago Brisson represented almost every high profile player.

Or maybe that's the issue? Maybe some players feel he and his firm don't focus enough on them because they've got too many clients?

Reactions: yianik

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I was wondering the same thing. Seemed like not long ago Brisson represented almost every high profile player.

Or maybe that's the issue? Maybe some players feel he and his firm don't focus enough on them because they've got too many clients?
Brisson lost at least one key person with his agency when Judd Moldaver left for Wasserman/Orr. He was the primary point-man with Matthews, which is why Matthews left with him. Wouldn't be surprised if he had strong relationships with some of the other young guys under Brisson.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

There's a montreal thing there though. Brisson and Bergy are really good friends and some player don't like that relationship so if they play for Montreal they change agents.

WidgitRibbit

Mar 25, 2021

Wouldn’t be surprised if Klutch Sports gets into hockey like they are starting to do in the NFL. Lebron James is taking sports by storm. Wouldn’t be surprised this off season when they announce a few NHLers. Werenski May be one of those players

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Wouldn’t be surprised if Klutch Sports gets into hockey like they are starting to do in the NFL. Lebron James is taking sports by storm. Wouldn’t be surprised this off season when they announce a few NHLers. Werenski May be one of those players

The article already says he's hiring Judd Moldaver.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Plus the contract didn't age very well either.

That's more because Trouba isn't a high-end talent. What he's done in New York resembles much of his time in Winnipeg. Gorton just messed up.

Werenski is a much rarer talent, he can break a defense with movement from the blueline, not just blast pucks.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
when he signs he is probably taking the NHL minimum salary for his 1st year with a very small signing bonus if any according to other agents.

the year after he takes an insanely large bonus when the escrow lowers its smallest percentage.

the next 2 years are the problem for players getting money

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
when he signs he is probably taking the NHL minimum salary for his 1st year with a very small signing bonus if any according to other agents.

the year after he takes an insanely large bonus when the escrow lowers its smallest percentage.

the next 2 years are the problem for players getting money

explain?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad