GDT: We're Here: Your New Jersey Devils @ Philadelphia Flyers, 7 PM, ESPN+/Hulu

Status
Not open for further replies.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Still hoping they send Johnsson down to Utica and not stash him on IR assuming Nico plays tonight.

Would rather see Bahl over Smith, but I get it - otherwise, really solid lineup.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's bullshit.

I have no idea why Blackwood gets the first crack.

He was f***ing H.O.R.R.I.F.I.C last year, he was poor the season before and he was mediocre as it gets in the preseason, while Vanecek has been none of the above in any of these periods.

If Lindy Ruff came out and said ''Well, we're playing Blackwood because he's been really good against the Flyers in his career'' I would accept that. However, if I had to guess, we're playing Blackwood because we really want Blackwood to happen.

This is exactly what I feared would happen months ago. Blackwood would get special treatment, much like Brodeur got after we traded for Schneider. Even he didn't start the season opener that year.

If he's so good then he should be able to go outplay Vanecek and take it back when he does get in there. If I'm Vanecek, I'm annoyed that I played so well, won every game in the preseason and have to sit behind this guy for the opener.

Hey, if Lindy Ruff wants to die on the Blackwood hill then he can die on the Blackwood hill. Even Hynes wouldn't allow himself to die on the Schneider hill.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Smart way to promote the game by streaming the opener. Well, this is the future of sports. Add paying to watch it to your already $200 + cable bill.
It was more or less the same crap with the Mets only it was the third game of the season with Scherzer pitching in Washington

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If Blackwood stinks tonight, I'm sure it'll be ''Oh, it's just one game''.

No, that'll be more like 56 games, but okay.

And if he plays well, I'm sure it'll be ''You need to eat crow! He's back!''.

Big Drive

Mar 12, 2009
NJ
Smart way to promote the game by streaming the opener. Well, this is the future of sports. Add paying to watch it to your already $200 + cable bill.
Lol I was like ok, I'm going to subscribe to this fubo thing and was then wait.... whats this espn plus/hulu

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
It's bullshit.

I have no idea why Blackwood gets the first crack.

He was f***ing H.O.R.R.I.F.I.C last year, he was poor the season before and he was mediocre as it gets in the preseason, while Vanecek has been none of the above in any of these periods.

If Lindy Ruff came out and said ''Well, we're playing Blackwood because he's been really good against the Flyers in his career'' I would accept that. However, if I had to guess, we're playing Blackwood because we really want Blackwood to happen.

This is exactly what I feared would happen months ago. Blackwood would get special treatment, much like Brodeur got after we traded for Schneider. Even he didn't start the season opener that year.

If he's so good then he should be able to go outplay Vanecek and take it back when he does get in there. If I'm Vanecek, I'm annoyed that I played so well, won every game in the preseason and have to sit behind this guy for the opener.

Hey, if Lindy Ruff wants to die on the Blackwood hill then he can die on the Blackwood hill. Even Hynes wouldn't allow himself to die on the Schneider hill.

If there is one argument against this (and history doesn't necessarily mean anything), Blackwood plays the Flyers pretty well overall.

He's 8-1-2 with a .923 SV% and 2 shutouts.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LETS GO DEVILS!!!

Also f*** this only on a subscription streaming service bullshit. Ain't f***ing paying for it just to watch only 5 of our games.
What I do is I just subscribe by the month and I can subscribe and re-subscribe whenever I want.

Now, I probably will wind up paying something like $30 bucks (or maybe more, haven't really specifically checked it out that in depth yet) or something just to watch 5 games this year, but after the game against the Islanders later this month I'm unsubscribing until we come on again, which I think isn't until after the new calendar year.

That way, I'm only charged for this month.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
giphy.gif

Please let me be able to use this gif tonight.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If there is one argument against this (and history doesn't necessarily mean anything), Blackwood plays the Flyers pretty well overall.

He's 8-1-2 with a .923 SV% and 2 shutouts.
More than fair, as I went and looked it up the other night after a conversation that @Guttersniped and I were having in one of the threads about how he's barely lost to them and last year was the only one she had remembered and that one and one other where we lost in the shootout in 2021 were the only two I remembered.

That said, color me skeptical that this is the reason we're playing him and not because we're really trying to give him every chance we can to be this team's starter. I've been getting this vibe for the last 9 months, be it right from the MSG crew/production crew, Lindy Ruff, NJDTV (or whatever they call the people who do the online in studio stuff for us) crew that we want Blackwood to be the starter. We want Blackwood to be goalie of the future here and we're not gonna just let the other guy (who just traded for 3 months ago and then proceeded to sign to a deal for 3 years, at a higher salary than Blackwood) come in and audition for that role right out of the gate.

And it's weird, because Blackwood was a solid goalie the first two years, but he wasn't a great goalie. He wasn't so good that he should still be getting preferential treatment after the last two years. He's no legend that's just in his twilight and on the way out (like 2013-2014 Brodeur) He was never anywhere near on the level of Cory Schneider before the decline. But even his advanced metrics have him as just below breaking even those first two years.

I'm already getting a weird 2013-2014 vibe with the goalie stuff, but I doubt it'll go that long, because there's people working here that are absolutely on the hot seat right now, which wasn't the case in 2013-2014.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
Let's go Devils!! Super excited for the start of the season, minus the fact it's being streamed on ESPN+.

Reactions: joeskow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad