Post-Game Talk: We're going streaking! Oilers win 3-1

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Yeah, I'm with you here. We need to enjoy the win but I wouldn't get too high after this game.
They played better in the previous 2 games and will be embarrassed by Wash if they don't pick it up.

Gordon is currently over 60% in faceoffs. We have no one close. Sure could use that now...

Hendrix is above 60% and Lander above 55%. IMO Lander's numbers are really impressive since he still has a lot of time to improve.

Anyway, 60% is normally enough to be 1st in the league so I wouldn't use that as a point of comparison. Every team could use that but only one got it last season (Bergeron).

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Hendrix is above 60% and Lander above 55%. IMO Lander's numbers are really impressive since he still has a lot of time to improve.

Anyway, 60% is normally enough to be 1st in the league so I wouldn't use that as a point of comparison. Every team could use that but only one got it last season (Bergeron).

My comment on the draws is even when we lose we look a lot better. Wingers are in right away. They are really helping the center and go after the puck when a draw is loss. Last year it was the center loss the draw and he was the only one going for the puck.

Even on one of the clean wins the wingers jumped in for no real reason:laugh:

It is these very small things that are making this team a 'team'.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
would love to see Talbot get a SO soon ...

Tell the *******s on Sportsnet not to jinx it like last night.

Oilers up 3-0:

"Hey shutout shutout shutout shutout. Shutout wins for Cam Talbot, here are some stats about shutting out the other team. Cam Talbot shutout."

*goal*

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
My comment on the draws is even when we lose we look a lot better. Wingers are in right away. They are really helping the center and go after the puck when a draw is loss. Last year it was the center loss the draw and he was the only one going for the puck.

Even on one of the clean wins the wingers jumped in for no real reason:laugh:

It is these very small things that are making this team a 'team'.

That is good news. I am still on paternity leave from hockey so I only get to see bits and pieces of the games when I manage to get away.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Believe it or not, the best thing to happen this season is Eberle's injury. A blessing in disguise. ConYak would not be paired if Eberle was sticking around. Eberle and McDavid could work but I prefer him being with Hall-RNH.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Believe it or not, the best thing to happen this season is Eberle's injury. A blessing in disguise. ConYak would not be paired if Eberle was sticking around. Eberle and McDavid could work but I prefer him being with Hall-RNH.

Potentially. Best case scenerio is Eberle isnt injured and Conyak is formed

Either way, I bet we see Hall-RNH-Eberle reunited when hes back. Or the solid BP-RNH-Eberle line and Hall-McDavid-Yak

BP is just keeping that spot warm while LD is developing in AHL

And we also have a guy by the name of Darnell Nurse playing great in AHL, itching for a call up :popcorn:

Arctic Fox

Nov 17, 2007
I'm worried that the 1st line has been struggling to show up on the scoreboard. They've been good defensively but something is sorely missing. Hall can't seem to buy a goal. Nuge takes weak shots. So far it's been masked by the 2nd line's performance and a couple of crucial goals scored by the 3rd line. But we can't expect the 2nd line to score 2+ goals every game. It's not sustainable.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I'm worried that the 1st line has been struggling to show up on the scoreboard. They've been good defensively but something is sorely missing. Hall can't seem to buy a goal. Nuge takes weak shots. So far it's been masked by the 2nd line's performance and a couple of crucial goals scored by the 3rd line. But we can't expect the 2nd line to score 2+ goals every game. It's not sustainable.

Wait until Eberle come back to be worried.

Nothing against their recent linemates, but Klink and Hendricks are 4th liners and Miller is a minor leaguer.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010

I think they'll be OK. They're taking the hard minutes and have looked like solid, IMO, in the last three games.

I've said before that its troublesome that the RNH rookie creativty seems to have completely vanished but his all-around game is beautiful and Hall is playing a more mature game as well.

Points will come if they continue to put in those kind of efforts.

Stainsy

Time to improve
Jun 21, 2005
Ont.
www.parkerhousemotel.com
Oilers wouldn't have been outshot by Detroit last night if they had tried to play the third they way the played the first and second periods. I thought they kind of went into a bit of a shell, didn't want to play physical and dig in the corners anymore. That contributed to all the breakaways, and then dumb penalties did the rest. The Oilers looked very good in the first and second as I mentioned, and they were pushing the play. TBH, I didn't think Detroit had any answers for our forwards in their end when our guys were playing hard on the puck. McDavid, there really is nothing anyone can say other than wow :amazed: That was a ****ing beautiful goal, and the goalie is still picking his jock up off the ice.

Great game Oil, feels great to have three wins in a row!

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Tell the *******s on Sportsnet not to jinx it like last night.

Oilers up 3-0:

"Hey shutout shutout shutout shutout. Shutout wins for Cam Talbot, here are some stats about shutting out the other team. Cam Talbot shutout."

*goal*

A lot of sportscasters do that to show how they don't buy in to superstitious nonsense like the unwashed masses. Gord Miller does it all the time.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Hall seems a bit snake bitten. He has 35 shots this season and has a super damn low shooting percentage. If he had at least the average 10% he would have 3 goals at the least right now

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick

I did not realize Lander was that high that is exceptional.
I know McDavid started lower but against Detroit I noticed him winning a few. Which was encouraging.
I didn't want to be that fan and buy a McDavid jersey but after the goal last night..
I don't remember getting this excited about a player since Hemsky.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
I'm not worried about the 1st line at all. They are facing the toughest competition and still leading the team in terms of shot-attempts +/- and are about even with the 2nd line when it come to scoring chances +/-. The points will come if they keep their play up.

slaman

McOilers Fan
Oct 22, 2010
Toronto
It took me this long to type anything, since I'm still a bit speechless about what we're witnessing. A few thoughts:

* McDavid is Jesus
* Yak seems to have been completely inspired and playing infinitely better hockey - let's hope he can recover from the bad state of mind he was in that made him an awful player
* Ference was not bad yesterday - the hate for him on this board is unwarranted. He is much better than Davidson, and I personally think Reinhart needs more time (way too slow, losing footraces, losing board battles)
* Purcell looks much better when not being played in the top 6
* Miller doesn't belong in the NHL (yet?)
* Sekera seems to be stabilizing, but lots of poor decision-making
* Schultz is a completely new player this season
* Klefbom seems to be settling in now after a rough start
* Slepyshev looked better on the last line - he needs to work his way up to more ice-time
* Korps and Letestu had strong games - they add an element of grit that doesn't necessarily show up on the score sheet
* Talbot... wow. I forgot what having a goalie was like!

Kepler 186f

Red Shifted
Dec 17, 2007
I haven't mentioned it before but I have seen others do so.

Schultz has been great this season. What a turn around. He is really developing into a solid defenseman. Hope he can keep it up.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
So I've been saying for a few games now that McDavid is already the best player on the team. Does anyone disagree with this? To my eyes, he looks nearly as responsible defensively as RNH, and I don't think anyone can deny that he's more explosive offensively.

This is a guy who will always be the best player on any team he plays on. Just so, so good.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
Potentially. Best case scenerio is Eberle isnt injured and Conyak is formed

Either way, I bet we see Hall-RNH-Eberle reunited when hes back. Or the solid BP-RNH-Eberle line and Hall-McDavid-Yak

BP is just keeping that spot warm while LD is developing in AHL

And we also have a guy by the name of Darnell Nurse playing great in AHL, itching for a call up :popcorn:

Does anyone have any reports on Nurse?

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
So I've been saying for a few games now that McDavid is already the best player on the team. Does anyone disagree with this? To my eyes, he looks nearly as responsible defensively as RNH, and I don't think anyone can deny that he's more explosive offensively.

This is a guy who will always be the best player on any team he plays on. Just so, so good.

Why do u think there is no captain now. Connor McDavid will be wearing the C next year

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
I haven't mentioned it before but I have seen others do so.

Schultz has been great this season. What a turn around. He is really developing into a solid defenseman. Hope he can keep it up.

Both Schultz and Yakupov have completely turned it around this season so far. Sure Schultz isn't showing as much offense as we are used to, but if he's making it up in defensive awareness, I'm completely fine with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad