Post-Game Talk: We're going streaking! Oilers win 3-1

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I guarantee it. Listen to him already. If he aint captain, i will eat the paper this is written on

Yea, take out the marketability and recognition (eventually internationally) and you still have a guy who will be your leading point leader on team, eventually in league and a guy everyone has tremendous respect for at 18 years old. This would be like saying Federov or Shanahan should be the captain over Yzerman. Its 5 years in if Hall was going to be captain it would have been done this year.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
I said coming into the season that Yakupov and Schultz would be the big darkhorses and if they can become the players we all had hoped they would be, this team would be so much further ahead because of it. Its still very early, but so far I'm very pleasantly surprised by their games.
Its amazing to see the differences in both their games this year compare to last.

Getzlafoutloud

Sep 15, 2015
Yea, take out the marketability and recognition (eventually internationally) and you still have a guy who will be your leading point leader on team, eventually in league and a guy everyone has tremendous respect for at 18 years old. This would be like saying Federov or Shanahan should be the captain over Yzerman. Its 5 years in if Hall was going to be captain it would have been done this year.

While Hall has improved his attitude he still gets pouty when the team is losing or he doesn't get a call. Leaders need to pick guys up when things are bad. That being said i love what Hall brings and his real value will be what he does when he gets into the playoffs, people forget he lead ohl playoffs and mem cup in points in both his 16 and 17 year old season.

oilz89*

Didn't like the game management by the club last night. Got up 3-0 on pretty fortunate circumstances with Detroit scoring an own goal. Then continued to take penalties, let opposition back in game. Red Wings hot 2 posts and scored a goal to make it 3-1. We then give up a breakaway in that situation (no excuse of that in that point in a game.)

The Wins are great, and its a lot better than the alternative but tonight is not a great example of the team playing well. This would be the poorest Red Wings lineup seen here in decades.

How on Earth do you get outshot at home by this Red Wings lineup who are getting outshot badly thus far this season?

I'll take the 2 pts but if we're this lax against the Caps they'll kill us.

Uhhh they outshot us because they had 6 powerplays and because they wanted to come back really badly? How is this news to you? :help::help::help::help:

oilz89*

They dug down in the Nucks game in a back to back on the road facing that adversity and being tired.

Last night they're at home against one of the easiest lineups you're ever going to face in the NHL (with injuries this Wings lineup is just brutal) and they allowed Detroit to hang around in this one. Guess what happens if Red Wings score on the breakaway? Total panic.

We're not that good a team yet to have those kind of errors. You just can't give up breakaways with a 2 goal lead and 6mins left in a game.

Add several stupid penalties last night, some loose ownzone play and it wasn't much of a performance. Oilers should have been fresh and full of jump last night. Instead they didn't play anything close to 60mins, and had a very indifferent last half of the game.

The team also had a poor practice on Tuesday and an "eye opening" bad game day skate that had Mclellan and the coaching staff concerned.

Really if this is anything but a lousy Wings lineup, or Columbus, we likely loose this game. We didn't have everybody on board last night and not an effort that is going to result in Wins on many nights.

Buddy you have a weird definition of a team playing a good or bad game. We were outshot badly by the canucks and only by 1 shot by the wings...

Jeff Lebowski

Jan 12, 2008
I will bet you $100 dollars that McDavid is captain of this team by the time he's 20.

Absolutely. You can see it in him already. Whenever the media tries to get him to talk about himself, he's quick to start pumping the tires of his line mates. If they try to single out one specific line mate, he makes sure to pump the tires of both. He'll be the next captain. Theyre just holding it for him until he gets some time in. Within a year or two, he will emerge as captain.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Buddy you have a weird definition of a team playing a good or bad game. We were outshot badly by the canucks and only by 1 shot by the wings...

Red Wings were icing a poor lineup without either Datsyuk and Franzen and that should be a comfortable win. Wings have lost 3 in a row and looking poor doing it being dominated every game.

Nucks imo have been playing some good hockey and were a much harder test, also, it was the 2nd of a back to back and the best you can do on the road against a team playing well is give yourself a chance to Win. The Oil did that. Detroit comparatively was a speedbump.

Those are the respective games I saw.

Look at even tonight. Caps are blowing everybody out of the ballpark and yet Nucks were beating them going into the 3rd. Caps finally got the game winning goal with 5mins left but extended playoff like energy in doing it against a very good checking Nucks club.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Uhhh they outshot us because they had 6 powerplays and because they wanted to come back really badly? How is this news to you? :help::help::help::help:

WE let a very poor lineup back into the game. Due to injuries Red Wings are barely an NHL team past first line. Mark my word but Wings are going into a deep hole and just trying to hang on. This is a bad Red Wings club right now.

I predicted victories in the Calgary and Detroit games and stated we'd win both with a comfortable 2 goal margin.
Nucks were the much harder test in my book. Turned out to be correct.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just reading through the REd wings GDT. Fans there completely disgusted and realize nothing is going to fix this tired wagon. Just a hopeless NHL lineup without Datsyuk and Franzen.

Theres about a dozen players in the lineup that are pretty weak. Red Wings are one of the easier clubs in the league to play against. Not physical, not fast, not particularly good at anything anymore.

Babcock got so much out of this team people figured it would just keep going. This is going to look like Yotes collapse last season. Red Wings look tired already. Gonna be a long year. Also we got benefit of seeing Mrazek instead of Howard. That's 1 extra goal allowed right there.

Even Detroit fans we're calling them the Dead Wings after last nights game. not because the Oilers played great, they didn't. just because of how awful this Red Wings team is.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria

Exactly. They made a late game push which left them defensively open. Meanwhile we defended a lead which killed all offense. It's not rocket appliances.

Oilfan2

13.5%
Aug 12, 2005

Yes..because shots are the most important element when deciding how well a team played, right? :shakehead

Did you watch the games or just the stats?

The Oil didn't play well against a weak Wings team but did so against a better Canucks squad..despite the shot clock.

Section337

Jul 7, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Just reading through the REd wings GDT. Fans there completely disgusted and realize nothing is going to fix this tired wagon. Just a hopeless NHL lineup without Datsyuk and Franzen.

Theres about a dozen players in the lineup that are pretty weak. Red Wings are one of the easier clubs in the league to play against. Not physical, not fast, not particularly good at anything anymore.

Babcock got so much out of this team people figured it would just keep going. This is going to look like Yotes collapse last season. Red Wings look tired already. Gonna be a long year. Also we got benefit of seeing Mrazek instead of Howard. That's 1 extra goal allowed right there.

Even Detroit fans we're calling them the Dead Wings after last nights game. not because the Oilers played great, they didn't. just because of how awful this Red Wings team is.

Don't most opposite team GDT's, during an Oilers win, consist of:
  • 50% I hate this player <insert player>
  • 24.5% Our coach or coach's <system/lines/d-pairing> sucks
  • 18% I can't believe we are losing to a horrible team
  • 6% Small sample / don't panic / positivity
  • 1% Our defense can't keep up with their speed.
  • .5% The Oilers played a good game.

Last edited:

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Red Wings were icing a poor lineup without either Datsyuk and Franzen and that should be a comfortable win. Wings have lost 3 in a row and looking poor doing it being dominated every game.

Nucks imo have been playing some good hockey and were a much harder test, also, it was the 2nd of a back to back and the best you can do on the road against a team playing well is give yourself a chance to Win. The Oil did that. Detroit comparatively was a speedbump.

Those are the respective games I saw.

Look at even tonight. Caps are blowing everybody out of the ballpark and yet Nucks were beating them going into the 3rd. Caps finally got the game winning goal with 5mins left but extended playoff like energy in doing it against a very good checking Nucks club.

It was a comfortable win. A two goal lead with 3 minutes remaining? A two goal, regulation time win, in today's game, is a clear win.

And it wasn't total panic at the end. They kept the Wings to the outside. It was 6 on 4, btw, and they still really didn't give up much. If anything, they looked comfortable playing in their own end.

Think about this. They used to get owned by even the worst teams. They had to play a perfect game, and get lucky, to eek out a win.
Now, they r getting wins against teams they should beat. That's a good sign. They r getting wins even when they don't play perfectly. Another good sign.

It's still early, let's not get ahead of ourselves, but, how can u not be happy with what you've seen?

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
It was a comfortable win. A two goal lead with 3 minutes remaining? A two goal, regulation time win, in today's game, is a clear win.

And it wasn't total panic at the end. They kept the Wings to the outside. It was 6 on 4, btw, and they still really didn't give up much. If anything, they looked comfortable playing in their own end.

Think about this. They used to get owned by even the worst teams. They had to play a perfect game, and get lucky, to eek out a win.
Now, they r getting wins against teams they should beat. That's a good sign. They r getting wins even when they don't play perfectly. Another good sign.

It's still early, let's not get ahead of ourselves, but, how can u not be happy with what you've seen?

I am happy. The last few games have been great compared to what we've seen before. The victory against the Flames particularly was fantastic.

chance

Embrace the Hate
Oct 9, 2006
I can see McDavid being captain over Hall, or they could avoid the awkwardness and make Nurse captain as the darkhorse.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Wouldn't it be something if Yakupov were to turn his career around and be the 1st overall talent that he was projected to become.

Then you would have to admit to Replacement that he was right while all of you were wrong.

Do you really think it's worth it? ;)

488fitter

May 25, 2010
Edmonton
I can see McDavid being captain over Hall, or they could avoid the awkwardness and make Nurse captain as the darkhorse.

There shouldn't be any awkwardness. Same thing as Lando over Duchene. Some are just better suited to be captains more than others no matter the length of time spent on the team. Pretty sure Hall's smart enough to realize that he's gotta hand the keys over to McDavid eventually.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad