Confirmed with Link: Wennberg to Kraken (3 x 4.5M)

StarterHart

Waffle
Feb 2, 2018
Arlington, WA
Yeah, it's an overpay. But look at what's going on around the league, if we didn't overpay him, someone would have. What's more, a lot of these 3rd line type guys are getting long terms too. With our cap space, I have no problem with overpaying by 1 mill or so to keep the term to 3 years instead of 6.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
True but Johnson + just a 2nd is a better deal than Wennberg at 4.5

Granted given Francis isn’t weaponizing cap the odds of an overpay to Wennberg hurting the Kraken is slim

It could most certainly end up being that way. But only time can tell.

Johnson has produced at a 0.5 PPG clip on a loaded TBL team for the last 3 years. He is 30 years old.
Wennberg has produced at 0.4 PPG clip in the last 3 years on a much worse Panthers team. He is only 26 years old.

If I was looking for upside, I would not sign Johnson but sign Wennberg. Not predicting anything here, just my personal preference that I would still pick Wennberg than Johnson + 2nd.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
This has to have been the only team board with a hard on for Johnson, right? The amount of discussion that guy has generated on this board is absolutely ridiculous.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If Wennberg is expected to be our 2C/3C, does this imply that Gourde is expected to be our 1C? I initially had Gourde slotted as our 2C.
I'm not sure it matters, with the current roster and a brand new team, I assume Hakstol will get out the line blender.

We can predict the lines all we want but I'm sure it'll change game to game, if not within the game. Hence I have not done a line prediction.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
If Wennberg is expected to be our 2C/3C, does this imply that Gourde is expected to be our 1C? I initially had Gourde slotted as our 2C.
Yeah. Gourde is very likely to be our 1C since getting a 1C in the expansion draft or FA was going to be tough. There is rumor of us getting Strome (from NY) in a trade as well. Without that our C depth currently is looking like:

Gourde
McCann
Wennberg
Jarnkrok
Appleton
Bastion
Blackwell

It is honestly really solid depth at the 'C' position. We don't have a legit 1C like you pointed out but it was always going to be hard starting off with one as an expansion team.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Yeah. Gourde is very likely to be our 1C since getting a 1C in the expansion draft or FA was going to be tough. There is rumor of us getting Strome (from NY) in a trade as well. Without that our C depth currently is looking like:

Gourde
McCann
Wennberg
Jarnkrok
Appleton
Bastion
Blackwell

It is honestly really solid depth at the 'C' position. We don't have a legit 1C like you pointed out but it was always going to be hard starting off with one as an expansion team.
Yeah, the depth never really concerned me. From the standpoint of being competitive right out of the gate though (which maybe never was intended), it seemed that top end scoring would need to be acquired via FA and/or trade. With that ~$30M in cap space, I bought into thinking that was the game plan management wanted to take in building this roster. It’s still super early, but now I’m starting to wonder.

Mar 20, 2010

Hopefully it's Beniers in the not-too-distant future. That one spot move up to #2 in the lottery could turn out to be franchise-shifting.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Hopefully it's Beniers in the not-too-distant future. That one spot move up to #2 in the lottery could turn 0ut to be franchise-shifting.
I am a big fan of Beniers and always wanted him but I want to temper my expectations on him as a 1C. I think he is most likely to be a solid 2-way 2C but he will need some really good wingers to work out as a good 1C.

But then again, he could just get better and exceed my expectations.

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Nice fetch. Wanted my last team to trade for him the past 2 years. Very over looked player for what he brings.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Good deal. Showed last year that the end of his run in Columbus wasn't who he truly was. Still got some offense in him and really good two way player. 3 years is perfect in allowing Berniers to develop and hopefully a Geekie or someone else steps up to push him to 3C were he would excel.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Sleestak Nation

Jul 6, 2009
Land of the Lost
Good deal. Showed last year that the end of his run in Columbus wasn't who he truly was. Still got some offense in him and really good two way player. 3 years is perfect in allowing Berniers to develop and hopefully a Geekie or someone else steps up to push him to 3C were he would excel.
This is key. Right now, sure he slots in at 2C. October 1, maybe not.

The dream scenario is he get pushed down, like you suggest.

jbron

Apr 27, 2014
West Coast
Wennberg really is a third center. Yes, he could move up till Gourde plays unless they can find someone better. His face off % wins is at 46.1% which is awful.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
This is my favorite signing. Wennberg needed a change of scenery in Columbus. He thrived in Florida last year and paced for 42 points (and a 49.2% faceoff percentage). He'll get more opportunity here and I think 50 points is not out of the question for Wennberg. He's still 26. I think this contract ends up aging very well for us. He has a decent two-way game as well. He was 6th among Panthers forwards in PP TOI last year and 2nd in SH TOI. With his FO% improved to 49% last season, he's a decent penalty killing two-way forward who I won't be surprised to see put up 50 points, which is solidly second line production. The 62nd (31x2) highest scoring center in the league last year had 36 in 70.

BeniersIsKraken

2022-23 Adopted Kraken: Matty Beniers
Jul 24, 2021
Wennberg really is a third center. Yes, he could move up till Gourde plays unless they can find someone better. His face off % wins is at 46.1% which is awful.

He was 49.2% last season with Florida, which would put him 70th amongst centers in the league. Players do improve over time.

Reactions: LokiDog

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
He struggled more and more as his time in Columbus wore on but it was not surprising to see him rebound in Florida. The money is a bit high (columbus bought out his remaining years at a similar salary and term) but he will certainly be able to be a middle six C for the next 3 years. Put a shooter with him.

Reactions: LokiDog

Marco 85

Jan 13, 2021
He struggled more and more as his time in Columbus wore on but it was not surprising to see him rebound in Florida. The money is a bit high (columbus bought out his remaining years at a similar salary and term) but he will certainly be able to be a middle six C for the next 3 years. Put a shooter with him.
Panther fan coming in peace. Wennberg is a solid third line center. Solid defensively, great penalty killer. You won’t be disappointed there. Offensively, he was lucky to play most of the season with Huberdeau. Resulting in plenty of opportunities and points. Wennberg can’t create offense by himself and you shouldn’t expect it. Based on his history. He’ll revert to his prior seasons totals.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Panther fan coming in peace. Wennberg is a solid third line center. Solid defensively, great penalty killer. You won’t be disappointed there. Offensively, he was lucky to play most of the season with Huberdeau. Resulting in plenty of opportunities and points. Wennberg can’t create offense by himself and you shouldn’t expect it. Based on his history. He’ll revert to his prior seasons totals.
What if we put him with McCann and another good offensive forward as the 2nd line C? Genuinely curious. I think with Gourde missing for the first couple of months, it is very likely Wennberg plays as our 2C, unless we make more acquisitions.

Marco 85

Jan 13, 2021
What if we put him with McCann and another good offensive forward as the 2nd line C? Genuinely curious. I think with Gourde missing for the first couple of months, it is very likely Wennberg plays as our 2C, unless we make more acquisitions.
He played a lot of second line center and was disappointing offensively. Huby would create opportunities and Wennberg was the beneficiary. Tap ins and rebounds. He doesn’t possess any offensive creativity. Pretty straight forward guy who will always be the first forward back.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He played a lot of second line center and was disappointing offensively. Huby would create opportunities and Wennberg was the beneficiary. Tap ins and rebounds. He doesn’t take possess any offensive creativity. Pretty straight forward guy who will always be the first forward back.
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
He did ok for us, I’m glad he’s getting another opportunity with my 2nd team. Our Panthers forwards depth is just stacked right now. I wonder if Vatrano will also be at play for a future trade between the Kraken and Florida.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
Really like this signing.

3 years is perfect and makes Wennberg a nice stop-gap option to transition from expansion team to legitimate NHL franchise.

People on these boards are way too hung up on labeling roles and lines. I expect Seattle to roll with a top-9, 3 solid, defensively sound lines and have a fourth line to chew up some of the softer minutes.

Which line gets the most minutes may very well vary from game to game and unless a certain combo really steps up, I expect to see a team that scores by committee rather than by a few superstars leading the way.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad