wendel clark|trevor linden

Oowatanite

Aug 20, 2010
Ontario
Clark is the myth here as Linden had the better peak, career and leadership in adjusted seasons.

I don't love Linden as much as some in this town but Clark was really overrated.

I said Clark had the better peak because he averaged over a point per game and scored over 40 goals, something Linden has never done although clark's peak was short it was better than Linden's. 1993-94 was Clark's peak and Linden has never had an all star season like that.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I said Clark had the better peak because he averaged over a point per game and scored over 40 goals, something Linden has never done although clark's peak was short it was better than Linden's. 1993-94 was Clark's peak and Linden has never had an all star season like that.

Clark had one year like that and this is the leader board for goal scoring that year.

1. Pavel Bure-VAN 60
2. Brett Hull*-STL 57
3. Sergei Fedorov-DET 56
4. Dave Andreychuk-TOR 53
5. Ray Sheppard-DET 52
Adam Graves-NYR 52
Brendan Shanahan-STL 52
8. Cam Neely*-BOS 50
Mike Modano-DAL 50
10. Jeremy Roenick-CHI 46
Wendel Clark-TOR 46
12. Eric Lindros-PHI 44
Luc Robitaille*-LAK 44
14. Steve Thomas-NYI 42
15. Gary Roberts-CGY 41
Kevin Stevens-PIT 41
Keith Tkachuk-WPG 41
Geoff Sanderson-HAR 41
19. Vincent Damphousse-MTL 40
Robert Reichel-CGY 40
Bob Kudelski-TOT 40
Mark Recchi-PHI 40
Theoren Fleury-CGY 40

Some good player in there but also soem so-so guys as well.

that was by far his best season adjusted it works out to 45-29-74 in 64 games his next best season is 33-27-60 or the 40-19-59.

Here is Linden's top 3, 34-49-83, 35-43-78 and 33-36-69.

Linden was just the better player no matter how you slice it.

Clarks "great" 93-94 year was the product of playing with Gilmour and playing on the PP with 21 goals with 2 the year before and 5 the year after

Oowatanite

Aug 20, 2010
Ontario
Clark had one year like that and this is the leader board for goal scoring that year.

1. Pavel Bure-VAN 60
2. Brett Hull*-STL 57
3. Sergei Fedorov-DET 56
4. Dave Andreychuk-TOR 53
5. Ray Sheppard-DET 52
Adam Graves-NYR 52
Brendan Shanahan-STL 52
8. Cam Neely*-BOS 50
Mike Modano-DAL 50
10. Jeremy Roenick-CHI 46
Wendel Clark-TOR 46
12. Eric Lindros-PHI 44
Luc Robitaille*-LAK 44
14. Steve Thomas-NYI 42
15. Gary Roberts-CGY 41
Kevin Stevens-PIT 41
Keith Tkachuk-WPG 41
Geoff Sanderson-HAR 41
19. Vincent Damphousse-MTL 40
Robert Reichel-CGY 40
Bob Kudelski-TOT 40
Mark Recchi-PHI 40
Theoren Fleury-CGY 40

Some good player in there but also soem so-so guys as well.

that was by far his best season adjusted it works out to 45-29-74 in 64 games his next best season is 33-27-60 or the 40-19-59.

Here is Linden's top 3, 34-49-83, 35-43-78 and 33-36-69.

Linden was just the better player no matter how you slice it.

Clarks "great" 93-94 year was the product of playing with Gilmour and playing on the PP with 21 goals with 2 the year before and 5 the year after

Linden had Bure and Mogilny in thier primes to pad his stats and don't forget when Clark scored 46 goals he played in only 64 games that's a ppg pace that Linden never had.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Clark's best game was better than Linden's best game.

But Clark was so seldom at his 'best' due to injury and ineffective play that Linden takes this easily.

Being an 8/10 every night is better than being a 10/10 one game in 5 and being a 4/10 for the others.

_________

Also worth noting that these 2 players met in the playoffs when both were in their primes (during Clark's 46-goal career year) and the Canucks destroyed the Leafs in 5 games with Linden being one of Vancouver's top players while Clark was completely invisible.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Yes Clark has a better goals per game then Linden and yes the top 3 season compared to the two. However once again you are missing the big picture. Clark missed alot of games. Would you rather a guy who scores 30 goals but only plays half the season or a guy who scores 30 and plays a full season. Now before you go and check I am just using this as an example not real stats. I would much rather have a guy who plays the full year. Linden was there when his team needed him most of the time. For the first 9 seasons Clark was with the leafs 36% of the time when the Leafs needed him he was on the sideline. Remember we are not talking about one year or two years. We are talking a career.

Yes it took Linden 500 games to score 45 more goals. Linden was just consistent especially in his career. Do not get me wrong Clark could have had a better career and maybe could have been a super star power forward like Cam Neely, but he wasn't. He was loved by the leafs and rightfully so and I might give the edge as far as skill to Clark in goal scoring in the end he just wasn't consistent enough that is all.

I think you are the one missing the point. Linden was an excellent player and, I believe, underrated.

But seriously, who would you rather have play 1000 games for your team ... ?

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Enigmatic

Both were enigmatic, one team players. Wendel Clark played significantly better in Toronto than in his other stops throughout the NHL, returning to Toronto on two occasions. Trevor Linden played significantly better in Vancouver during both his stints than he did for other teams.

Linden had a reasonably rounded game while Clark had limits with the puck. Excellent shooter but passing or handling the puck was an adventure at times. Both were excellent team players who brought value every game. Unfortunately Clark's style invited injuries and as others have stated he was rarely at the top of his game.

Starchild74

Aug 27, 2009
I think you are the one missing the point. Linden was an excellent player and, I believe, underrated.

But seriously, who would you rather have play 1000 games for your team ... ?

No you are missing the point in. I was making a point of the intangibles that Clark provided like hitting and being a leader. If a guy can score but is not their to do the other things people say is good at then how is he helping the team.

In order for Wendel Clark to play 1000 it would have taken him abother 10 years if he was lucky. Maybe playing 40-50 games a year.

That is my point. He can not score or hit or do anything when he is in the press box which he was too many times. Trevor Linden was their battling every day for his team. He might not average a point per game or even a goal per game but he is there in game 22, game 61, and game 80 to try and make sure his team makes the playoffs and of course play all those games too. Which games would Wendel play. He might be there for game 10 but not around again until game 32, who knows. That is my point

If you are going to ask a question like who would you rather play 1000 games. Make sure one fo the guys didn't Because it is about reality and what a guy did do not what could have he done.

Last edited:

Strangle

May 4, 2009
The question was who was a better player, not who played more games.

My point still stands. Clark was a better player and I would rather have him play 1000 games on my team over Linden. Although Linden is a great player as well

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Linden had the better career, Clark was the more impactful player.

^This.

Linden was a solid two-way player for a long time and was obviously more durable than Clark but Clark could completely turn a game around on his own and was one of the most dominate physical forces this side of Lindros. He had that extra level that Linden just didn't have.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Wasn't Linden the prototypical powerforward himself? I always figured that was the reason his numbers declined so quickly because of the way he played. And of course I'll gladly admit I never saw either player play in their prime.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Wasn't Linden the prototypical powerforward himself? I always figured that was the reason his numbers declined so quickly because of the way he played. And of course I'll gladly admit I never saw either player play in their prime.

Not really, Linden was more in line with Ron Francis.
Clark was the very definition of a power forward and contrary to a few opinions in this thread, Clark did instill the fear of god into folks and anyone that says different obviously never saw him in his hey day.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

Linden definitely played a much more physical and robust game than Francis. While he couldn't compare offensively, intelligently, and was still a good notch below defensively, he was stronger and would initiate contact in ways that Francis wouldn't.

I agree it's not a bad comparison though. They both looked similar skating around the rink.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Linden definitely played a much more physical and robust game than Francis. While he couldn't compare offensively, intelligently, and was still a good notch below defensively, he was stronger and would initiate contact in ways that Francis wouldn't.

I agree it's not a bad comparison though. They both looked similar skating around the rink.

Yeah agreed, Linden played more physically that Ronny for sure.
I was more referring to how they approached the game and how/where they set up on the ice.

BlackDog13

Jun 4, 2010
PA
Clark was the very definition of a power forward and contrary to a few opinions in this thread, Clark did instill the fear of god into folks and anyone that says different obviously never saw him in his hey day.

Agreed.

I did have the opportunity to see Linden when he was with the Islanders and have nothing but respect for his abilities and heart.

Starchild74

Aug 27, 2009
^This.

Linden was a solid two-way player for a long time and was obviously more durable than Clark but Clark could completely turn a game around on his own and was one of the most dominate physical forces this side of Lindros. He had that extra level that Linden just didn't have.

So because Clark was more physical then Linden he is better then Linden. I have seen Linden turn a game around as well. Linden was not flashy he just did what was needed. Basically what I am getting is that you agree that because Clark was the better goal scorer and hitter that makes him better the Clark. I just do not see how anyone can overlook the intagible that Linden had. He lined up against the top players and defended them well. He was a better leader and captain then Clark. He was better defensively. He was a better playmaker then Clark. I want to know why a player who gives out harder hits, and fights better with being a better goal scorer and when I say that it was not that much of a difference as Linden was just more consistent and Clark was more explosive. What makes Clark a better scorer which I already stated before was his awesome snapshot. These qualities automatically outway all the other categories that Linden is better then Clark at. I just do not understand.

Their were alot of other players in the NHL that could do what Clark did. Their were other players that were more feared in the NHL then Clark. Their were better hitters then Clark and their were better fighters then Clark mind you not too many. People here are making it sound like he was better then he was. Now Clark was always my favourite Leafs player and of the two he is my favourite compared to Linden. It is just that Linden is not flashy he just did everything well.

If his offense was way superior to Linden's. If he was way superior to Linden in hittng then Linden. If he was willing to fight way more then Linden then Yes that might be an argument. However he was not way superior to Linden in any of these categories. It is just that everything Clark could do so could LInden plus he had other abilities.

Like I said Clark might have been a better fighter but a lot of times it is not about winning a fight it is showing your teamates that you are willing to stick up for your team and when you see your captain willing to fight, even if he might get beat, it sparks the team. Linden did that many times for the Canucks. So the fear of god does not make a players better because Dave Semenko was one of the most feared guys in the NHL and he was not that good. I have never seen a super star playing the Maple Leafs in the 80's and 90's afraid to go to the net or score because of Clark. Wayne Gretzky, Denis Savard, Marcel Dionne, Steve Yzerman or other players that played in his division like , Federko, and Bellows, say that they were afraid for their lives to score or play against the Leafs. As a matter of fact they enjoyed playing the Leafs.

Once again not knocking Clark as he was good but just not better then Linden. In their peak years I would say it is very very close but edge to Linden for a career it is Linden no question. If I could have one of these two players for one game I would pick Linden because I know he would play as he always did with Clark you do not know what you are going to get.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
So because Clark was more physical then Linden he is better then Linden. I have seen Linden turn a game around as well. Linden was not flashy he just did what was needed. Basically what I am getting is that you agree that because Clark was the better goal scorer and hitter that makes him better the Clark. I just do not see how anyone can overlook the intagible that Linden had. He lined up against the top players and defended them well. He was a better leader and captain then Clark. He was better defensively. He was a better playmaker then Clark. I want to know why a player who gives out harder hits, and fights better with being a better goal scorer and when I say that it was not that much of a difference as Linden was just more consistent and Clark was more explosive. What makes Clark a better scorer which I already stated before was his awesome snapshot. These qualities automatically outway all the other categories that Linden is better then Clark at. I just do not understand.

Their were alot of other players in the NHL that could do what Clark did. Their were other players that were more feared in the NHL then Clark. Their were better hitters then Clark and their were better fighters then Clark mind you not too many. People here are making it sound like he was better then he was. Now Clark was always my favourite Leafs player and of the two he is my favourite compared to Linden. It is just that Linden is not flashy he just did everything well.

If his offense was way superior to Linden's. If he was way superior to Linden in hittng then Linden. If he was willing to fight way more then Linden then Yes that might be an argument. However he was not way superior to Linden in any of these categories. It is just that everything Clark could do so could LInden plus he had other abilities.

Like I said Clark might have been a better fighter but a lot of times it is not about winning a fight it is showing your teamates that you are willing to stick up for your team and when you see your captain willing to fight, even if he might get beat, it sparks the team. Linden did that many times for the Canucks. So the fear of god does not make a players better because Dave Semenko was one of the most feared guys in the NHL and he was not that good. I have never seen a super star playing the Maple Leafs in the 80's and 90's afraid to go to the net or score because of Clark. Wayne Gretzky, Denis Savard, Marcel Dionne, Steve Yzerman or other players that played in his division like , Federko, and Bellows, say that they were afraid for their lives to score or play against the Leafs. As a matter of fact they enjoyed playing the Leafs.

Once again not knocking Clark as he was good but just not better then Linden. In their peak years I would say it is very very close but edge to Linden for a career it is Linden no question. If I could have one of these two players for one game I would pick Linden because I know he would play as he always did with Clark you do not know what you are going to get.

Actually what I meant is exactly what I said, Clark was a game breaking player. Linden wasn't.
Linden did his job, put up some points, took care of his defensive responsibilities but Clark in one shift could completely change the tide and momentum of a game.

Career wise, Linden's iron-man streak speaks for itself and Clark's often reckless abandon obviously took its' toll.

I mean hell, I'm a Habs fan almost from birth and I hate the Leafs but even I found myself tuning in Leaf games in the late 80's just to watch the electricity that Clark brought to the game.
I liked Linden, liked his work ethic, liked his solid two way play and liked his durability but like I said, he didn't have what Clark had, he was no game breaker.
Clark was pure heart on skates, fire on ice.

tp71

Enjoy every sandwich
Feb 10, 2009
London
This has to be my favourite Wendel hit. It emphasizes for me what he could bring to a game. This was a tough poll for me, I idolized both players growing up, but while both were incredible players, Linden wasn't Wendel Clark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad