SIHR Blog Wembley Lions versus Soviet Union 1955 – A view from the Russian side

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
In his SIHR blog entry from April 5 ("A Londoner upsets the Reds – Wembley Lions versus the Soviet Union 1955"), Stewart Roberts takes a look at the series of games the Soviet national team played in England in November and December 1955, most notably the narrow 3-2 win over Wembley Lion on December 1. The game report by English weekly "Ice Hockey News" highlights the stiff bodychecking by Wembley players Lawson Neil and Roy Sheperd and as Roberts rightfully points out, the series was an "opportunity for the Soviets to get a good work-out against Canadian opposition" after they had been defeated 0-5 by Canadian club Penticton at the 1955 World Championship. In this entry, I'd like to take a look at the series and its background based on Russian sources.

Prior to 1945, only "hockey with the ball" (in England known as bandy) had been practiced in Russia. Then Nikolai Romanov, head of the Soviet government committee overseeing sports, decided that Canadian hockey should be picked up since it was an Olympic sport and bandy wasn't. Some of the best bandy players of the country were recruited to switch to the new game. Their bandy background gave them an excellent foundation in skating: all of them were professional athletes (not in name though) that would annually spend their winters speeding over the soccer-sized ice rinks that were used for bandy competitions. Other aspects, however, had yet to be learned: the tactics of the game and many techniques, including physical play. There was no bodychecking in bandy.

When LTC Prague, one of the leading clubs in Europe, arrived in Russia in February 1948, the Soviets were shocked as they had no concept of bodychecking as customary in international hockey. Their referee Sergei Savin kept sending Czechoslovak players to the penalty box for actions that wouldn't have resulted in a penalty elsewhere. Overall LTC Prague left a big and favourable impression on their hosts, but the praise was mixed with complaints about "excessive roughness". It's perhaps no coincidence that those of the Soviet observers and participants who went on to become all-time greats in Soviet hockey (e.g. Anatoli Tarasov and Vsevolod Bobrov) are the ones who didn't complain but took the experience as a learning opportunity. The same can be said of Arkadi Chernyshov, one of the members of the Soviet coaching Council, who put it bluntly: "The matches have demonstrated a number of holes in the game of our players, a typical example of which is the inability to play the body."

1955-picture-1-jpg.377139

Arkadi Chernyshov

By 1954, Arkadi Chernyshov was the head coach of the Soviet national team when they won their first World Championship. In their first encounter with a Canadian team, the Soviets upset the East York Lyndhursts 7-2 with their speed and their passing. The Canadian Amateur Hockey Association reacted by sending a better team: the Penticton Vees led by former NHL player Grant Warwick. Not only did they win the 1955 World Championship and defeat the Soviets 5-0, they also introduced them to the tougher Canadian bodychecking. Their main target was Soviet star Bobrov who was famously knocked over by Canadian defenceman Hal Tarala with an open-ice hit.

The Soviets were in for another learning experience. Chernyshov put it in the following terms: "At the 1955 World Championship, our team lost to the Canadians. One of the weaknesses of our hockey players was the inability to conduct a successful fight against a team whose players act rough and tough and make extensive use of bodychecking. Last year's world champion Penticton (Canada) was just such a team."
For the winter of 1955-1956, an extensive schedule against English clubs with their many Canadian players and their Canadian style of play was organized. The trip to England was the first part of that schedule. One of the goals Chernyshov named for those encounters: "Learning to withstand physical play."

1955-picture-2-jpg.377140

Chernyshov's 1956 review in the magazine Спортивные игры ("Sporting Games"), February January 1956

As the protests of the Soviet bench after Sheperd's checks against Khlystov and Uvarov show, the lesson wasn't all that easy to take in, but after the fog had cleared the Soviets weren't too vocal about the hits. Reviewing Game 2 (5-4 vs Harringay Racers), Chernyshov says: "Having studied the Soviet manner of play, the British began to play more harshly and roughly." Game 3: "At the beginning of the second period, the English defenceman knocked Khlystov out of action with a rough check. He was taken off the ice unconsicous. A minute later, the same check was repeated and Uvarov left the ice." So the actions of the British club were labeled as "rough" or "rude", but that's as far as the criticism goes. No further complaints or more vocal accusations were made. The Soviets did indeed decide to take those encounters as an opportunity to learn and it served them well in regard to the 1956 Olympics. Stewart Roberts' conclusion that perhaps those hits in 1955 "taught the USSR a valuable lesson, helping them to adapt their fast, skillful game to cope with the more rumbustious Canadian style" is indeed not just wishful thinking.

Posted on Behind the Boards (SIHR Blog)

Last edited:

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Nice piece, Theo. I like that my home city is marked on that map alongside London, Paris & Moscow. Makes me feel very metropolitan.

Reactions: Sentinel

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I like that my home city is marked on that map alongside London, Paris & Moscow. Makes me feel very metropolitan.

:laugh:

Chernyshov's article actually reviews the entire schedule that winter, not just the games played in England. Hence the map with all the locations where the Soviets had played. Full schedule:

Nov.26, London: Harringay Racers – USSR 1-11
Nov.28, London: Harringay Racers – USSR 4-5
Dec.01, London: Wembley Lions – USSR 2-3
Dec.04, Paris: Brighton Tigers – USSR 1-2
Dec.06, Stockholm: Harringay Racers – USSR 2-9
Dec.08, Stockholm: Sweden – USSR 3-2
Dec.09, Stockholm: Sweden – USSR 2-6
Dec.12, Moscow: USSR – Harringay Racers 7-1
Dec.15, Moscow: USSR – Harringay Racers 4-0
Dec.17, Moscow: USSR – Switzerland 11-1
Dec.18, Moscow: USSR – SC Riessersee (West Germany) 8-1
Dec.20, Moscow: USSR – Czechoslovakia B 2-2

Seven games against English clubs. The Soviets really wanted to get to practice against Canadian players.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
I see, Montreal Victorias played here already in 1927 so from that perspective it isn't such big of a deal. I actually have an anecdote (not personal) from the 1927 games but since we're doing these articles now I figure I wouldn't want to risk to ruin someones arrangement, which has happened in the past.

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Very interesting. I wonder: what were the direct implications (if any) of this European tour on perceptions toward the Soviet program heading into the 1956 Winter Olympics in Cortina?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Very interesting. I wonder: what were the direct implications (if any) of this European tour on perceptions toward the Soviet program heading into the 1956 Winter Olympics in Cortina?

Good question. Firstly, they were winning a lot of games. We can discuss about the level of opposition, but it sure didn't hurt the perception. Secondly, I 'm sure it was viewed as what it really was: the Soviets improving their ability to handle physical play.

Maybe Stewart Roberts (@Stewart) can tell us whether the British hockey weekly Ice Hockey World had something to say about the perception of the Soviet national team prior to the 1956 Winter Olympics?

Reactions: vikash1987

Stewart

Jul 16, 2020
Sussex, England
As far as I can trace, Ice Hockey World didn't really say much about this. It often carried only four pages at this time and it was more interested in how the British clubs would fare against the Soviets.
I tried to attached the 'editorial' from the edition just before the Wembley Lions-USSR game where Bob Giddens, who coached a bit in London, gave his advice on how to beat the Ruskies but I got a 'security error' message. Any advice?

EDIT:
IHW1.jpg

IHW2.jpg

IHW3.jpg

IHW4.jpg

IHW5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
I tried to attached the 'editorial' from the edition just before the Wembley Lions-USSR game where Bob Giddens, who coached a bit in London, gave his advice on how to beat the Ruskies but I got a 'security error' message. Any advice?

No idea what the issue is. Could you send the picture to me by e-mail?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Particularly interesting are Ahearne's comments on the red line. Obviously he didn't like this innovation (introduced in the NHL in 1943 – I guess it was adopted in Europe after the war?) as it fostered a game of long passes, at least among teams in Great Britain and perhaps also in other Canadian-dominated countries of Europe. Whereas the Soviets "ignored" the red line and "didn't play" it. That is: they preferred short passes instead of long passes from the own end up until the red line.

In hindsight, Ahearne's interpretation (the success of the Soviets suggested the short-passing game was more efficient than the long-passing game) seems a little misguided and outdated: the Soviets themselves would indeed proceed to develop a game that put great value on long passes. But it's interesting to learn about the debates the red line led to. I've seen North American pundits from that time argue that it hurt the stickhandling skills of the players (which makes sense: before you couldn't pass over your own blue line, you had to carry the puck out by yourself). And now we have the argument that it fostered long passes which were less effective – I assume that means they were less accurate than short passes.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Did the Soviets really avoid long passes as Ahearne suggested in December 1955?

Two months later, the magazine cited in the first post upthread (Спортивные игры, February 1956) printed the following recommendation for an attacking play:

Short.jpg

Two forwards should skate in parallel courses in a short distance and pass the puck back and forth. One club singled out for making good use of this play: Dinamo Moscow, coached by none other than Arkadi Chernyshov.

Confirmation of this can be found in the autobiography of Nikolai Sologubov (1967):

"Nowadays hockey fans would probably laugh at a trick that was repeated time and time again: two forwards (with Dinamo Moscow, they were Boris Petelin and Alexander Uvarov) skated in parallel courses and made one-touch passes between each other in an attempt to break through the defence. The trick is simple, but I have to say that it was not easy for the defencemen to keep track of the puck which changed its address all the time."

Of course, it's safe to say that the Soviets did not exclusively use short passes. But with Arkadi Chernyshov doubling as the head-coach of the Soviet national team, it would make sense to see short passing also being employed by Team USSR, even if Boris Petelin wasn't part of the national squad. Alexander Uvarov was: he scored three goals in the 11-1 victory over Harringay that Ahearne was commenting on.

If, however, the Soviets shied away from long passes, it's probably because they did not yet have the ability to make them regularly with accuracy. In another Спортивные игры article from July 1955 taking a look at the performance of the Penticton Vees at the World Championship, the Canadian defencemen were actually praised for their ability to make long longitudinal and diagonal passes, for example from their own end to the red line – exactly what Ahearne did not want to see:

Long.jpg

So we get the following picture from those 1955/1956 English and Russian articles:

The Soviets played a fast game of short and medium passes, but long passes to the red line were not yet part of their repertoire. They admired the Penticton Vees for that ability to make those passes. The English clubs (with their Canadians) employed long passes too, though with less accuracy than Canadian top clubs such as Penticton. Impressed by the Soviet game, J. F. Ahearne thought the English club should follow the Soviet example and quit on long passes, but in reality, the develoment went in the other direction: the Soviets tried to follow the example of Penticton and proceeded to become masters of the long pass. A few years later Nikolai Sologubov would write that the short passing of the 1950s would be laughable now and Anatoli Tarasov would blast a focus on short passes as a sign of lacking quality.

Reactions: Stewart

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
"Looks just like Aurel Joliat." – Fred Denny (of Harringay Racers) on Nikolai Khlystov. Possibly the earliest ever comparison drawn between a Soviet player and an NHL great?

Interesting comments on the Soviet prospect against Canada:

Bob Giddens: "The U.S.S.R. are determined to win the VII Winter Olympics at Cortina in late January, and if they reach peak form then, not even Canada will stop them."
John Francis Ahearne: "was convinced that not even Penticton V's could have beaten Russia on Saturday night."

Gidden's prediction turned out right. As for Ahearne's claim, I'm not so sure about that though. @DN28, you have expressed a similar opinion in the 1955 World Championship thread:

Overall this Team Canada does not look too good on paper and they outclassed the Soviets clearly at this point... But I think the Soviets would be able to beat this exact team just next year when they were one more year smarter and experienced.

The Soviets sure improved from their 1955 World Championship performance, but the Canadian team they faced at Cortina, the Kitchener-Waterloo Dutchmen, were not quite as good as Penticton had been and in the following World Championship & Olympic encounters (1958, 1959, 1960, 1961) the Canadians always kept the upper hand over the Soviets.

Was the Soviet team better in 1955-56 than in the subsequent seasons?

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Some video footage from the Soviet – British/Canadian encounters in December 1955:

December 3, Paris: Brighton Tigers – Soviet Union 1-2

In France, the Soviet opponent was advertised as "Selection of Canadians in Europe". I guess "Brighton Tigers" wasn't as much of a sell in Paris.

December 12, Moscow: Soviet Union – Harringay Racers 7-1

Includes footage from the dressing rooms of both teams. At 3:07/3:10 we see one of Bobrov's trademark breakaways.

December 15, Moscow: Soviet UnionHarringay Racers 4-0

Last edited:

DN28

Jan 2, 2014
Prague
Bob Giddens: "The U.S.S.R. are determined to win the VII Winter Olympics at Cortina in late January, and if they reach peak form then, not even Canada will stop them."
John Francis Ahearne: "was convinced that not even Penticton V's could have beaten Russia on Saturday night."

Gidden's prediction turned out right. As for Ahearne's claim, I'm not so sure about that though. @DN28, you have expressed a similar opinion in the 1955 World Championship thread:

I only said it on the basis of how strong performance was shown by the Soviets at the '56 OG. Soviets crushed every opponent they faced: 5:1 Sweden, 10:3 Switzerland, 4:1 Sweden again, 8:0 Germany, 7:4 Czechoslovakia, 4:0 USA, 2:0 Canada. Not a lot of Olympic winners with such a record (well, from the WW2 anyways..).

That, plus the ability of Tarasov & Co. to learn from past mistakes.

I didn't consider variable strength of different Canadian teams though...

Last edited:

Stewart

Jul 16, 2020
Sussex, England
Some video footage from the Soviet – British/Canadian encounters in December 1955:

December 04, Paris: Brighton Tigers – Soviet Union 1-2

In France, the Soviet opponent was advertised as "Selection of Canadians in Europe". I guess "Brighton Tigers" wasn't as much of a sell in Paris.

December 12, Moscow: Soviet Union – Harringay Racers 7-1

Includes footage from the dressing rooms of both teams. At 3:07/3:10 we see one of Bobrov's trademark breakaways.

December 15, Moscow: Soviet UnionHarringay Racers 4-0

Thanks for posting these. Great finds! According to my book, 'Brighton Tigers, A Story of Sporting Passion', the Eurocanadians game was played on 3 December 1955 and Brighton's goal was scored by an Englishman, Johnny Oxley.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Thanks for posting these. Great finds! According to my book, 'Brighton Tigers, A Story of Sporting Passion', the Eurocanadians game was played on 3 December 1955

Thanks. The date I've found may very well be off by a day and since you did the actual research for your book, I assume December 3 was the actual date.

Brighton's goal was scored by an Englishman, Johnny Oxley.

The revenge of the Englishmen! That's what the French got for advertising Brighton as "Eurocanadians".

Reactions: Stewart

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Also interesting: Jim Stenner of "Evening News" thought the Soviets got away with a lot of interference. 20 years later, North American observers would say exactly the same thing when the Soviets faced NHL clubs in the mid-1970s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad