Post-Game Talk: We'll never get a power play again. Oilers lose 2-1.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I don't disagree, I've been annoyed at them not trying him as a winger with McD or Leon, but I don't get why they don't want to acquire wingers to run all three C's. They'll get their ice time, the 4th line doens't need to play as much as it does.

Looking at top teams' 3rd lines, you see how much better they are than the Oilers. I'm just going in the team's past GDT and finding their third line or checking Daily Faceoff.

Pittburgh: Wilson-Cullen-Hornqvist.
Washington: Connolly-Eller-Sanford
Chicago: Kero-Hinostroza-Hartman
San Jose: Goldobin-Hertl-Ward
NYR: Grabner-Hayes-JT Miller
St. Louis: Barbashev-Lehtera-Perron

The Oilers third line of Caggiual-Letestu-Kassian/Slepyshev just doesn't cut it. That's not a playoff caliber third line. One key thing about most of these lines is there is usually only one rookie or lesser player on the line. The Oilers can't have both Caggiula/Kassian/Slepyshev taking both wings, and Letestu needs to be the fourth-line center.

As a part-time (mostly playoffss) Caps fake, I can tell you that Burakovsky is usually in Sanford's spot (Bura is injured). So Washington's 3rd line is actually even better.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Unless you want to play the top 4 50+ minutes a game, there isn't much option. A pairing that features Gryba on it needs to be as heavily sheltered as possible. And even then, you're probably going to end up having him be a minus at the end of the night.
Bs this is the playbook of Eakins play not to lose instead of playing to win . If the 3rd pairing is that shelter needing time to change the players. McDavid loves to feed the points put dmen who can pm and shoot , then you will see them score a lot more and try and not lose in a 1-1 game.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Maroon hasnt been good for a while... we might need a LWer more than a RWer this deadline

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
The team looked a little disjointed, but damn, the Caps are a good team. I think Caggiula's time is nearing an end. Someone commented in the GDT, how he's starting to look like Pulju towards the end of his time here and his lack of offencive confidence. I wouldn't be against taking him out and putting Pouliot in his role on the "checking line".

Maroon-McDavid-RNH
Lucic-Draisaitl-Eberle
Pouliot-Letestu-Kassian
Khaira-Lander-Pakarinen
Hendricks

Caggiula, Slepyshev to Bakersfield.

I'm not a fan of Letestu on the 3rd line, but at least he's the 3rd wheel there.

Hendricks and Lander are a toss up. Hendricks brings a bit more grit and drive to go to the dirty areas, Lander's the better PK'er and faceoff man.

Ideally though I would bounce Letestu down to the 4th, and find 2 quality 2-way 3rd liners to play with Kassian.

Maroon-McDavid-RNH
Lucic-Draisaitl-Eberle
Burrows-Moore/Boyle-Kassian
Khaira-Letestu-Pakarinen

Yes, people hate Burrow, but considering who the RW is on that line, history's shown we can get over it.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Looked a little disjointed, but damn, the Caps are a good team. I think Caggiula time is nearing an end. Someone commented in the GDT, how he's starting to look like Pulju towards the end of his time here and his lack of offencive confidence. I wouldn't be against taking him out and putting Pouliot in his role on the "checking line".

Maroon-McDavid-RNH
Lucic-Draisaitl-Eberle
Pouliot-Letestu-Kassian
Khaira-Lander-Pakarinen
Hendricks

Caggiula, Slepyshev to Bakersfield.

I'm not a fan of Letestu on the 3rd line, but at least he's the 3rd wheel there.

Hendricks and Lander are a toss up. Hendricks brings a bit more grit and drive to go to the dirty areas, Lander's the better PK'er and faceoff man.

Ideally though I would bounce Letestu down to the 4th, and find 2 quality 2-way 3rd liners to play with Kassian.

Maroon-McDavid-RNH
Lucic-Draisaitl-Eberle
Burrows-Moore/Boyle-Kassian
Khaira-Letestu-Pakarinen

Yes, people hate Burrow, but considering who the RW is on that line, history's shown we can get over it.

Can't forget Caggiula's still a kid and he just came out of the college league. Obviously not used to the tough rugged NHL schedule yet either.
I've been a huge critique of Nuge this year but I agree with giving him a shot with McDavid. It would allow Draisaitl to drive the damn 2nd line with McDavid driving the other. Somebody from the oilers media should suggest it to Todd.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Can't forget Caggiula's still a kid and he just came out of the college league. Obviously not used to the tough rugged NHL schedule yet either.
I've been a huge critique of Nuge this year but I agree with giving him a shot with McDavid. It would allow Draisaitl to drive the damn 2nd line with McDavid driving the other. Somebody from the oilers media should suggest it to Todd.

Yeah I'm not wanting to be too negative with the Drake.

He's done well for what's been asked for him, but I think that well has been fully tapped, and we're to the point where keeping him up is a detriment to him. He knows what he needs to do to be successful at the NHL level, now let him go to an easier environment and hone his game and endurance.

As for Nuge, I see Staples has started pushing the "move him to wing" idea. It's not an unprecedented move, as Duchene had the same happen last year and showed a ton of improvement afterwards.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Wow, that Washington game of doing 0 penalty worthy things

Magneto-perfection.gif

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
The Oilers fared pretty well considering they're in the middle of a long road trip and are missing Klefbom, Sekera, and Nurse. Nice to see what our depth can do against the best team in the NHL

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
I guess but I'm just saying that reffing is poor in general, not just for the Oilers. The Flames just got their 1st PP of the game, refs aren't calling much nowadays.

Likely true, but it could of easily been the Oilers with the 2PP's and none for the Caps in the game. It looks like their decision had been made before the puck was even dropped. Make sure to keep their winning streak alive. Bush League

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Maroon hasnt been good for a while... we might need a LWer more than a RWer this deadline

That's reasonable. Maroon went through a very good streak, but he isn't a true first line LWer. He is over-performing his contract and a solid second liner who looked really good playing with McDavid.

Alas the Oilers have a lot of money being wasted on Pouliot. Thanks MacT!

If the first line isn't addressed at the TDL it definitely needs to be an off-season priority.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad