Post-Game Talk: Well.. at least we scored? Leafs lose 3-1. Onto St Louis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delicious Dangles*

Enlighten me please.
What is there to enlighten? They did a rebuild. It's right there. Quite obvious.

It's not like you have to break out the history books.

I can't help you if you choose not to accept it because it wasn't exactly how you wanted it (like all rebuilds). That's on you.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
What is there to enlighten? They did a rebuild. It's right there. Quite obvious.

I can't help you if you choose not to accept it because it wasn't exactly how you wanted it. That's on you.
Only evidence that there was going to be carte blanche for a full rebuild was when Burke came in. I think everybody was onboard for it. In his own words he accelerated it. Unfortunately he blew it. The results are here for all to see. Kessel,JVR,Kadri and Rielly I'm fine with. Bernier was a good move by Nonis. The rest of the team are just stop gaps.

Delicious Dangles*

Only evidence that there was going to be carte blanche for a full rebuild was when Burke came in. I think everybody was onboard for it. In his own words he accelerated it. Unfortunately he blew it. The results are here for all to see. Kessel,JVR,Kadri and Rielly I'm fine with. Bernier was a good move by Nonis. The rest of the team are just stop gaps.
Selling off an entire team, tanking to get 1st overall picks for 5+ years, and only playing young players is FAR from the only method of rebuild, even though we were pretty much forced to do almost exactly that because our team was just that bad to start off.

In fact, it is the worst method of rebuild.

Your own shortsightedness and stubbornness is the only reason you don't see a rebuild.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

I can't help you if you choose not to accept it because it wasn't exactly how you wanted it (like all rebuilds). That's on you.

I totally agree.:handclap:

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Selling off an entire team, tanking to get 1st overall picks for 5+ years, and only playing young players is FAR from the only method of rebuild.

That is on your own shortsightedness and stubbornness.
Is professional sports a results first business or not? Because I might be stubborn and shortsighted but the direction that this franchise has used post lockout is obviously not working. One of only 5 franchises to have only made the playoffs once in that time period while at the same time spending to the cap. The Leafs appearance probably deserves an asterisk as well because of the strike shortened season. But I guess it's just me and fans of my ilk that are too stupid to see the genius in all this. Hate to disappoint you guys but there are a lot of us and we aren't going anywhere.

Delicious Dangles*

Is professional sports a results first business or not? Because I might be stubborn and shortsighted but the direction that this franchise has used post lockout is obviously not working. One of only 5 franchises to have only made the playoffs once in that time period while at the same time spending to the cap. The Leafs appearance probably deserves an asterisk as well because of the strike shortened season. But I guess it's just me and fans of my ilk that are too stupid to see the genius in all this. Hate to disappoint you guys but there are a lot of us and we aren't going anywhere.
This team has not been doing the same thing at all since the lockout. Not even sure how anybody can justify that claim. Burke changed a TON.

It is a results oriented business, but that doesn not mean that if you don't get the results, you strip the organization from top to bottom, especially right after it has just been stripped.

You identify the weak points and make the necessary changes. We've started that by firing Carlyle. You take evaluation time and then make another move if necessary. Repeat as required.

Patient and methodical, not panicked and shortsighted.

Last edited by a moderator:

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada

if you're complaining about the shortened season not being a real season then an asterisk should be put for the 06 and 07 seasons where they missed the playoffs, but by 1 point, which is close enough right? come on there are no asterisks needed for any year. Also EVERY team missed the 05 playoffs.

Gary Batman

Aug 4, 2014
Leafs have played less playoff games than so many NFL TEAMS!!! in the past decade, and people here are taking shots at fanbase for being "self-entitled".

And the audacity to preach patience.

:biglaugh:

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
You identify the weak points and make the necessary changes. We've started that by firing Carlyle.
So we agree. It's not me saying trade Kessel just for the sake of it. That being said he is the only one of the core that I don't want moved out if the Leafs management can pull it off. The likes of Bozak,Phaneuf and Lupul should all be gradually shipped out within the next year. What I would like to see is the Leafs have a moratorium for a year on paying average players large,long term contracts to get their cap under control so that when the younger players move in the Leafs will have room to obtain players to complement them.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
if you're complaining about the shortened season not being a real season then an asterisk should be put for the 06 and 07 seasons where they missed the playoffs, but by 1 point, which is close enough right? come on there are no asterisks needed for any year. Also EVERY team missed the 05 playoffs.
No asterisks needed for missing the playoffs by one point. That was classic Leafs.

Delicious Dangles*

So we agree. It's not me saying trade Kessel just for the sake of it. That being said he is the only one of the core that I don't want moved out if the Leafs management can pull it off. The likes of Bozak,Phaneuf and Lupul should all be gradually shipped out within the next year. What I would like to see is the Leafs have a moratorium for a year on paying average players large,long term contracts to get their cap under control so that when the younger players move in the Leafs will have room to obtain players to complement them.
Good job. We have moved on to discussing the present instead of dwelling on the past 10 years.

Right NOW they are doing the right thing. Fired their coach that was the cause of a lot of problems. Now we are taking evaluation time.

IF we need further drastic moves, then Phaneuf, Bozak, Lupul, etc. could be a target, but that has yet to be seen. And you don't just throw them away, or do it all at once.

I can't see management handing out any huge long term contracts to average players this year. Really, that was only done with Clarkson, and the factors that led to it aren't really at play anymore. I suspect Nonis will be gone by free agency as well.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
No asterisks needed for missing the playoffs by one point. That was classic Leafs.

my point is if you're going to use an asterisk for the leafs making the playoffs in a shortened season is the same as saying use an asterisk for missing by 1 point, BOTH situations should NOT have an asterisk.:help:

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
my point is if you're going to use an asterisk for the leafs making the playoffs in a shortened season is the same as saying use an asterisk for missing by 1 point, BOTH situations should NOT have an asterisk.:help:
Fine don't use an asterisk if it's that important to you. Let's call it making the playoffs once in the post lockout era. A fine accomplishment with or without the use of asterisks.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Fine don't use an asterisk if it's that important to you. Let's call it making the playoffs once in the post lockout era. A fine accomplishment with or without the use of asterisks.

it seemed important to you because you said the 48 game schedule needed an asterisk, they need to make the playoffs, I think no one will argue that, but to correct you they made the playoffs 1 in 9 seasons, not 10 seasons.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
it seemed important to you because you said the 48 game schedule needed an asterisk, they need to make the playoffs, I think no one will argue that, but to correct you they made the playoffs 1 in 9 seasons, not 10 seasons.
1 in 9 sounds so much better. Make that 1 in 10 come mid April.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad