WC: Welcome to Slovakia, the host of the 2011 WC- some general info and fun trivia

Krotak

is the Legend
May 7, 2010
Slovakia
"Super crazy fantastic atmosphere" in Košice amfiteater during the game against Czech rep. Around 10 000 people. Everything's great except of the result of the game...

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
The IHWC has been visited by 333 000 fans so far and since the play-offs haven´t even started yet the originally anticipated number 350 000 will be most likely much higher. :yo:

slovakfan*

OT: Hey guys, ignorant american question:

Is there any chance of Czech and Slovakia reuniting? Are both nations happier apart?

no there is no chance for reuniting now and in the near future.

something special have to happen.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
OT: Hey guys, ignorant american question:

Is there any chance of Czech and Slovakia reuniting? Are both nations happier apart?

Nope.

Like said, something very serious would have to happen. Like world changing events.

It's always fun to sit around and think about what kind of team can be put together. The only reason that people would like for the two to get back together is for the great hockey team (And I guess football), that's it.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Nope.

Like said, something very serious would have to happen. Like world changing events.

It's always fun to sit around and think about what kind of team can be put together. The only reason that people would like for the two to get back together is for the great hockey team (And I guess football), that's it.

Actually, it´s quite the opposite, this would be pretty high on the list why people wouldn´t wish for reuniting......;)

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
I think this piece of advice can help to somebody, who want to see a lot of sights in Slovakia in a short time. In my opinion journey by rail from Bratislava to Košice is a good experience. You can respectively see all theese sights and even more:

Bratislavský_hrad
Bratislavský_hrad,_view_from_Nový_most_viewpoint.jpg

Hrad Čachtice
cachtice_4.JPG

Hrad Beckov
hrad%20beckov.jpeg

Trenčiansky hrad
Lac_Trenciansky_jpg.jpg

Považský hrad
Povazsky_hrad_jpg.jpg

Hrad Strečno
strecnoa.jpg

High Tatras + Liptovská Mara dam
Bobrovec_Mara.jpg

Vysoké-Tatry.jpg

Spišský hrad
[obrazky.4ever.sk]%20Spissky%20hrad,%20stromy,%20les,%20hrora,%20hmla%201564135.jpg

Ružín dam
33c8460a0bd23b9f5dd0f970eb59ce04.jpg

St. Elizabeth cathedral in Košice
kosice_1x.jpg

I love that as a Montrealer I can say that I've been to all of those places!!! I must've visited Slovakia more than some Slovaks :D.

I LOVE SLOVAKIA. It's a freaking understatement. The mountains are GORGEOUS, the people are amazing, the cities all have charm and the castles are grand.

Also, people say Montreal has hot women. Let me tell you something, take the hottest girl you would see on any day in Montreal, and she's the average in Slovakia. I don't understand how it's even possible, but in any given hour, in any city, you'll see at least 4-5 10s and 11s walking. It's insane.

Shadowthrone

Zombies Welcome
Sep 24, 2006
Franconia, Germany
Just arrived home from a 8 day trip to Bratislava and it was simply amazing.
We hadn't bought any tickets in advance, but due to the upsets the German team pulled in the preliminary round, it was no problem getting them even for way below face value. Among them tickets for the skybox with free food and wine for the game against the Czechs for 20 euros, hell yeah :handclap:.
The girls are amazing, and they like to show it off. Tight pants and tops, the mini skirts etc... We had to change trains in Vienna and the subway felt like a monastery in comparison to the street cars and buses in Bratislava.
Made some small trips outside of Bratislava, Pezinok/Modra, Devin Castle and it was very nice. Awesome food, wine, borovička :naughty: friendly people and great hospitality.
Bagged myself a Slovakia jersey, too. :)
All in all, me and friends had a really great time and already talked about visting Slovakia again, probably in early autumn for the start of the hockey season and some hiking in the mountains.

Last edited:

QnebO

Wheel, snipe, celly
Feb 11, 2010
Just arrived home from a 8 day trip to Bratislava and it was simply amazing.
We hadn't bought any tickets in advance, but due to the upsets the German team pulled in the preliminary round, it was no problem getting them even for way below face value. Among them tickets for the skybox with free food and wine for the game against the Czechs for 20 euros, hell yeah :handclap:.

Just wow. In finland, you wont be even close to getting the worst seats for 20€ for a game... And get ready for a beer in the arena costing atleast 6euros per one... Good seats to game probably like 100€?

Those prices sound like the prices, that would be only in heaven. No wonder if the athmosphere there is good. Got to marble at that.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
Just wow. In finland, you wont be even close to getting the worst seats for 20€ for a game... And get ready for a beer in the arena costing atleast 6euros per one... Good seats to game probably like 100€?

Those prices sound like the prices, that would be only in heaven. No wonder if the athmosphere there is good. Got to marble at that.

Lol. The only reason why he could get tickets for such a price is because some Slovaks or someone else were trying to get rid of them as they countr wasn´t playing. Originally the cheapest tickets you could get even for the games between the worst teams cost at least 40 Euro and those were games in the preliminary round (Okay, relegation cost only from 10 Euro more). Also before Slovakia´s games in the qualification round when Slovaks when most Slovaks fans didn´t have tickets for their teams game because of the preliminary group rankings the fans of other teams, mostly Finns were selling them for up to 500 Euro infront of the arena.

Quarterfinal games when you bought your tickets the legal way cost 110 or 83 Euro, semifnal 150 or 112 Euro and final 250 or 188 Euro. And I´m not talking about VIP tickets. Overall the prices for the tickets were much higher than even in Germany and Switzerland in the last two years. And the fact that one game cost around 40 Euro is the No.1 reason why the arena in Košice was pretty empty for most part of their tourney asides from games between Sweden, Canada and US, because when people pay such money for hockey they at least want to see some good hockey.

And maybe before you go on about those prices etc, ou should check out how much people usually earn it and how much they do in Finland. ;) It´s kind of annyoing to hear that song about the prices from all the Finns that are currently over here, you know, your pay checks also look like in heaven to the majority of Slovaks. The prices of not onl teh tickets, but pretty much everything are overblown during this tourney.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Lol. The only reason why he could get tickets for such a price is because some Slovaks or someone else were trying to get rid of them as they countr wasn´t playing. Originally the cheapest tickets you could get even for the games between the worst teams cost at least 40 Euro and those were games in the preliminary round (Okay, relegation cost only from 10 Euro more). Also before Slovakia´s games in the qualification round when Slovaks when most Slovaks fans didn´t have tickets for their teams game because of the preliminary group rankings the fans of other teams, mostly Finns were selling them for up to 500 Euro infront of the arena.

Quarterfinal games when you bought your tickets the legal way cost 110 or 83 Euro, semifnal 150 or 112 Euro and final 250 or 188 Euro. And I´m not talking about VIP tickets. Overall the prices for the tickets were much higher than even in Germany and Switzerland in the last two years. And the fact that one game cost around 40 Euro is the No.1 reason why the arena in Košice was pretty empty for most part of their tourney asides from games between Sweden, Canada and US, because when people pay such money for hockey they at least want to see some good hockey.

And maybe before you go on about those prices etc, ou should check out how much people usually earn it and how much they do in Finland. ;) It´s kind of annyoing to hear that song about the prices from all the Finns that are currently over here, you know, your pay checks also look like in heaven to the majority of Slovaks. The prices of not onl teh tickets, but pretty much everything are overblown during this tourney.

This is definitely true. I spent four days in Kosice and three in Bratislava, and while there were few people selling tickets in Kosice, speculation on which games Slovakia would be involed in during the qualifying round led to crazy black market prices in Bratislava (fortunately I had the good idea of buying tickets for A3-D1, which ended up being Slovakia-Czech. Could have sold them for 250€ each, but there was no way I wasn't attending that game).

About the ticket price, face value was lower than in Switzerland two years ago (about twice lower for category one tickets), but if you compare it to the overall cost of living, there no doubt it's a big spending for the average Slovak.

And by the way, I really enjoyed both cities as well as the train ride between them. Beautiful country, with people passionate about hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad