TV: Welcome to Derry ( Prequel to " It " ) Coming to HBO Max

BostonBob

4 Ever The Greatest
Jan 26, 2004
Vancouver, BC
from hollywoodreporter.com:

8dd55cb7-794d-48e1-ae64-dc412ffa8f4e.jpeg

Pennywise the Dancing Clown is coming to HBO Max.

The streamer has given a straight-to-series order for a drama based on Stephen King’s beloved horror novel IT.

Filmmakers Andy Muschietti and Barbara Muschietti (who made the successful big-screen adaptations IT and IT Chapter Two) and Jason Fuchs (IT Chapter Two) are on board the project from Warner Bros. Television. Andy Muschietti will direct multiple episodes of the series, including the first episode. The show’s working title is Welcome to Derry.

Creative details are scarce, except that the series will be a prequel to New Line’s IT films, promising to “expand the vision” of the movies. Fuchs will write the first episode, which is based on a story by the Muschiettis and Fuchs. Fuchs and Brad Caleb Kane will serve as co-showrunners on the project.

“As teenagers, we took turns reading chapters of Stephen King’s IT until the thick paperback fell to pieces,” the Muschiettis said in a statement. “IT is an epic story that contains multitudes, far beyond what we could explore in our IT movies. We can’t wait to share the depths of Steve’s novel, in all its heart, humor, humanity and horror.”

“I’m excited that the story of Derry, Maine’s most haunted city, is continuing, and I’m glad Andy Muschietti is going to be overseeing the frightening festivities, along with a brain trust including his talented sister, Barbara,” King said. “Red balloons all around!”

Full story: HBO Max Orders ‘IT’ Prequel Series ‘Welcome to Derry’ From Andy Muschietti

Reactions: Magic Man

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
It says series and not mini-series, so I'm guessing it could be several seasons if successful. Early times though..

Right now, I would guess each season focuses on the each time IT awakens every 27 years. First season could be when IT kills that first settlement of 300 people after being asleep for a real long time. I can't remember if that was in the 1500s, 1600s or 1700s? Or maybe they focus on the Native Americans who tried to kill IT the first time during the Ritual of Chud?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad