Welcome the Devils

Matt Y

Jan 1, 2021
January 1/21 - New Jersey

In a stunning turn of events, the entire sports community was called together to a press conference earlier in the day to announce the appointment of the rather handsome Matt Young as General Manager of the New Jersey Devils in the HFNHL.

After introductions, it was time for the meat and potatoes - also known as the question and answer period.

Herb Johnson of the NJ Gazette: Matt it's nice to meet you. Can you tell us a bit about yourself? Specifically what makes you qualified to become the general manager of this team?

Matt: Well Herb it's pretty simple. I've been managing (fantasy) teams now for 22 years across both the Simon T and APBA platforms so I think I'm ready to take on the challenges of this franchise and league. I'm told that it is a great league and I'm looking forward to getting to know the other General Managers as time goes on.

Billy Squire of the Tri-Cities Sports Paper: Thanks for letting us know that information. Where do you see the team right now? Do you think it can be a contender or do you need to do work to rebuild?

Matt: I think that there are pieces here to be a very successful club. Having said that, we're an older group and while we have a good group of prospects, the mix just doesn't seem right to me. Things could go incredibly bad quickly so I'm open to moving guys like Tarasenko, Wheeler, Subban, Vlasic, and Bishop if there is a deal that makes sense for us. I think there are teams that could use players like this and with the direction, I'd like to go, I think it might be hard for them to win a cup here as major contributors.

Herb Johnson: So you want to rebuild, that's what I'm hearing...

Matt: Herb, I like you. You're pretty perceptive and we just met! Yes, I think we need to do some things, but I would not use the term rebuild but rather re-tool. I like some of the pieces here but given where I feel the team is at, I think we need to explore deals for some of our veterans to give them a shot at winning a cup.

Squire: So are you looking for draft picks, players or prospects if you are trying to make deals?

Matt: All of the above Billy, all of the above. I'm pretty open-minded. The league is just getting to know me so I think we need to keep an open mind. If there is a fit to help them meet their goals and ours, we should definitely examine things. The one thing is we need to make hockey trades, I don't believe in salary dumping from our standpoint.

Moderator: That's all the time we have for questions today.

Matt: Thank you for attending. I look forward to being at the helm of the team and working with the General Managers in the league. I can be contacted at [email protected] for trades, wedding tips, and fun! I look forward to hearing from you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad