TBN: Weissbach sparks Sabres' big rally in preseason opener

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Observations: Linus Weissbach sparks Sabres' big rally in preseason opener

Weissbach piled up three points in the third period, including the tying goal with 53.4 seconds left. In a 4-1 hole through 42 minutes, the Sabres pulled out a 5-4 shootout victory at Nationwide Arena as Quinn's filthy deke accounted for the only goal of the skills competition.

Weissbach:
"We really kind of became desperate there the last 30 minutes. We really showed we wanted to push back and scored a couple goals. It started off with us forechecking hard around their 'D', got the pucks in where we had to go and got in on them. It took a few shifts to get used to the pace. The whole game seemed new at first. But once we got it going, our line had a bunch of shifts down low and there's good things to build on. It was cool. You want to help the team any way you can. We really wanted that goal at the end. It meant something to get it. We made a strong push and we were able to finish it off. A good team win."

It was fun. It's where you want to be. It's what you work for. It's a good first game, really awesome to get a win. It's something special no matter when it is. A lot of guys here pushing for a spot on the Sabres. It's just fun to be with this group and getting to know everyone. If I can keep playing like this and show everyone I want to play here, that's what I want to do."

Granato:
"He makes plays under pressure," coach Don Granato said. "He made a lot of plays under pressure at moments there's limited time and space. He senses and feels what's around him and the right play to make. He's slippery. Very slippery player and obviously very intelligent."

Good article by Mike Harrington on the game. No mention of the bet.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Observations: Linus Weissbach sparks Sabres' big rally in preseason opener

Weissbach:
"We really kind of became desperate there the last 30 minutes. We really showed we wanted to push back and scored a couple goals. It started off with us forechecking hard around their 'D', got the pucks in where we had to go and got in on them. It took a few shifts to get used to the pace. The whole game seemed new at first. But once we got it going, our line had a bunch of shifts down low and there's good things to build on. It was cool. You want to help the team any way you can. We really wanted that goal at the end. It meant something to get it. We made a strong push and we were able to finish it off. A good team win."

It was fun. It's where you want to be. It's what you work for. It's a good first game, really awesome to get a win. It's something special no matter when it is. A lot of guys here pushing for a spot on the Sabres. It's just fun to be with this group and getting to know everyone. If I can keep playing like this and show everyone I want to play here, that's what I want to do."

Granato:
"He makes plays under pressure," coach Don Granato said. "He made a lot of plays under pressure at moments there's limited time and space. He senses and feels what's around him and the right play to make. He's slippery. Very slippery player and obviously very intelligent."

Good article by Mike Harrington on the game. No mention of the bet.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
It'll be interesting to see how long Weissbach and Perterka stick around at camp. Granato was really down-playing the game and how it is the next level for this group, but it's still not the NHL. These two in particular are adjusting quickly.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
It'll be interesting to see how long Weissbach and Perterka stick around at camp. Granato was really down-playing the game and how it is the next level for this group, but it's still not the NHL. These two in particular are adjusting quickly.
Are they doing a complete turnover for game 2, or any guys doubling up?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Are they doing a complete turnover for game 2, or any guys doubling up?
They usually do a split, but honestly, I haven't heard. New coach and all, wouldn't be surprised if they gave JJ and Linus as many cracks as they can at preseason and make the decisions hard for them. I think the conventional wisdom is there will be a series of cuts after game 2.

Reactions: buffalowing88

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
This guy looked good in his games, he can always come up with something on the ice. I am very optimistic about the position of the wingers in the Buffalo system, there are many interesting guys in this position.

dugman

Mar 21, 2008
Did Weissbach quarterback the power play at Wisconsin? I didn’t watch many of their games, but I think I recall that…

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Did Weissbach quarterback the power play at Wisconsin? I didn’t watch many of their games, but I think I recall that…

He did have shifts on the right point at times as a freshman IIRC. He also played half-wall over the last few years - it depended on the personnel quality.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad