Injury Report: Weiss skating in full gear

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I would like to see that if it's possible. I want to see him produce at some level before we give him guaranteed minutes on the big club again.

i wouldnt be surprised if he is sent down during the olympic break to do just that espescially if his plan is to be "ready for the first game post-break."

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Yeah, and young player can't develop like those 30 year olds? How stupid can you think?

We have younger options available for 4th line roles in Glendening, Ferraro, and Callahan, Andersson is literally the bottom of the depth chart for our NHL centers behind Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Weiss, Helm, and Sheahan. As far as I'm concerned, Andersson is a slightly better version of Emmerton. Miller and Eaves are in fact both better than him. So since we have younger guys who can also be 4th line players, who also have a higher ceiling anyway, and older guys who are already better than Andersson, this leaves him as being rather expendable. The name attacks are not necessary. You can have a rational conversation without being rude, especially when discussing something like hockey.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
@georgemalik 2m
On FSD, Stephen Weiss insiting that his groin issues were a "factor" but not *the* reason he struggled prior to his surgery.

@georgemalik 1m
Weiss did tell Keating that he felt that he was at 60% prior to his surgery however.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
@georgemalik 2m
On FSD, Stephen Weiss insiting that his groin issues were a "factor" but not *the* reason he struggled prior to his surgery.

@georgemalik 1m
Weiss did tell Keating that he felt that he was at 60% prior to his surgery however.

yeah was about to come post that... not really relieved to hear that.

oh well, we'll see how he looks when he comes back.

crashman

yeah was about to come post that... not really relieved to hear that.

oh well, we'll see how he looks when he comes back.

Hey, he's not making excuses, isn't that the righteous thing to do? Did you really expect him to say that his groin was the only reason he was struggling?

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I hope he wasnt at 100% pre-surgery because he was a complete non-event for a bloke playing second line centre and the reason we struggled so hard earlier in the season when our only scoring line was line 1.

Now we are pulling goals from 3 lines so it hopefully he can come back and add to that.

J15

Mar 18, 2009
When Weiss and Franzen get healthy, how do these lines look?

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Nyquist
Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson
Abdelkader-Helm-Miller
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar

Those lines look scary good to me. Basically lines 3 and 4 should get pretty even ice time with no clear cut #3.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson
Abdelkader-Helm-Miller
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar

Those lines look scary good to me. Basically lines 3 and 4 should get pretty even ice time with no clear cut #3.

The answer depends so greatly on which Weiss we are getting...

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013

Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson
Abdelkader-Helm-Miller
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Franzen
Weiss-Datsyuk-Alfie
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Helm-Abdelkader

That would be my ideal lineup provided Weiss can improve. The cap and roster space is the issue, though.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Weiss-Datsyuk-Alfie
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Helm-Abdelkader

That would be my ideal lineup provided Weiss can improve. The cap and roster space is the issue, though.

When those 2 are back I highly doubt Sheahan and Jurco are still here. Actually I'd wager a lot that Jurco will not still be here.

But like you said, I definitely want to see Weiss at wing when he comes back, either on line 2 or 3.

Maybe something like...

Mule-Nyquist-Z
Sheahan-Datsyuk-Alfy
Tatar-Helm-Weiss
Miller-Glendening-Abby

So I used to think Sheahan at wing was a dumb idea. I changed my mind. I think he could be a good option for Babcock's preference of a "net front" big winger.

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Hey, he's not making excuses, isn't that the righteous thing to do? Did you really expect him to say that his groin was the only reason he was struggling?

if groin was the reason, he struggled, it's an analysis, not an excuse.

if it wasn't it would be an excuse.

i don't really care as much what he says than i do how he plays. i think it would be a lot easier for him to bounce back if his awful play could be explained by injury.

SlavaKozlov

Feb 16, 2003
Akron, OH
Visit site

i don't really care as much what he says than i do how he plays. i think it would be a lot easier for him to bounce back if his awful play could be explained by injury.

I agree that "blaming" his play on injury is the easy way out. When he comes back, he will say how he feels great, 100%, better than he has in a long time, etc... but if he still struggles, he doesn't have the injury to point to as the reason. He can say rust or the fact that he missed so much time and hasn't adjusted to a new team, new system, new linemates, etc... but it just sounds like more excuses.

If he wasn't healthy enough to play and he thought the injury was negatively impacting his play to the point of being pretty much useless to the Red Wings, he should have been out of the lineup sooner than he was to get healthy. The way I see it, he was basically saying he thought he was "healthy enough" to be an effective player, but other factors played a role. For a while he was centering the 4th line with Cleary and Miller on his wings, that is going to contribute to him struggling offensively too, right?

Hopefully the surgery will put him at 100% or damn near close to it and he can assume the role he was expected to fill as a top 6 scorer. We saw Datsyuk take some time to get back to looking like we are used to seeing him after a wrist surgery, and he didn't change teams after the surgery. Hopefully Weiss can bounce back to were he was a few years ago and be a good signing. I won't judge anything after this season, but he will be expected to contribute next year, when adjusting to a new team and hopefully injuries aren't an issue.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
If he wasn't healthy enough to play and he thought the injury was negatively impacting his play to the point of being pretty much useless to the Red Wings, he should have been out of the lineup sooner than he was to get healthy. The way I see it, he was basically saying he thought he was "healthy enough" to be an effective player, but other factors played a role. For a while he was centering the 4th line with Cleary and Miller on his wings, that is going to contribute to him struggling offensively too, right?

he has history of doing that with panthers. like last season when he was playing with basically one arm because of his wrist that required surgery.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Weiss could end up being key in making the playoffs. Let's face it: Datsyuk's not going to be near 100% after the Olympics. He's probably going to need more time off. If Weiss can come in and be an effective 2C behind Zetterberg, it'll be huge. Hopefully Franzen can make it back by then too.

Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Helm-Eaves

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Weiss could end up being key in making the playoffs. Let's face it: Datsyuk's not going to be near 100% after the Olympics. He's probably going to need more time off. If Weiss can come in and be an effective 2C behind Zetterberg, it'll be huge. Hopefully Franzen can make it back by then too.

Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Franzen-Weiss-Alfredsson
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Helm-Eaves

would work from cap perspective too if/as dats goes on LTIR.

Detroit Sports*

Weiss-Datsyuk-Alfie
Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar
Miller-Helm-Abdelkader

Love this lineup and dump the dead weight assuming we are getting the FLA Weiss...

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

Would people here honestly see it as analysis?

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
would work from cap perspective too if/as dats goes on LTIR.
Yep. Send down one of Bertuzzi or Cleary and it works:

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($3.500m)
Tomas Jurco ($0.709m) / Riley Sheahan ($0.785m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.630m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Patrick Eaves ($1.200m)
Danny Cleary ($1.750m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Kyle Quincey ($3.775m)
Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)
Brendan Smith ($1.263m) / Danny DeKeyser ($0.925m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Jonas Gustavsson ($1.500m)
BUYOUTS
Carlo Colaiacovo ($0.000m)
BURIED
Mikael Samuelsson ($2.900m)
Todd Bertuzzi ($1.975m)
Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)
LTIR
Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2013-14 crunched using simulation date of 2014-02-10)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; BONUSES: $2,965,833
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $4,120,167

They're in a tough spot when Datsyuk comes back as I believe you can only bury four contracts. It sucks, but I think Jurco and Sheahan are going to get sent down just because there's no room -- unless they can get someone to take Cleary and/or Bertuzzi off their hands.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
From a Cap perspective it would be better to bury Cleary over Bert. Bert only gains $100K in relief due to his contract being a 35+. Cleary can gain $925K due to him being under 35 years old (shocking, I know, he skates like he's 50).

Whether Holland would bury Cleary before Bert is another question, but if looking strictly at Cap, Cleary is the better option.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
From a Cap perspective it would be better to bury Cleary over Bert. Bert only gains $100K in relief due to his contract being a 35+. Cleary can gain $925K due to him being under 35 years old (shocking, I know, he skates like he's 50).

Whether Holland would bury Cleary before Bert is another question, but if looking strictly at Cap, Cleary is the better option.

Holland is the one who made the mess by signing Cleary in the first place when everybody on this board knew it was a terrible decision. Now he needs to be a man and clean up the mess.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Yep. Also it's better with cap reasons to call Sammy back to sit him on the pressbox with Bert, and waive Eaves again. Same effect, 925k instead of 100k space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad