Weiss & his learning curve on being a Red Wing

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
On Wednesday night, the Detroit Red Wings will host offseason acquisition Daniel Alfredsson’s former club, the Ottawa Senators. Detroit will be looking to bounce back from a regulation loss to Phoenix on Saturday and a shootout loss to San Jose on Monday.

Detroit is 6-3-1 and has 13 points, which is good enough for fourth best in the NHL. The Red Wings lead the Atlantic Division, though the Red Wings have played more games than every Division team but Buffalo.

In those ten games, several realities have become clear. Captain Henrik Zetterberg and alternate captain Pavel Datsyuk are superstars who somehow find yet another gear when they play together on the same line. In addition, the former Senator captain Alfredsson is still really, really, ridiculously good despite his 40-year-old legs. Perhaps most importantly, the Red Wings may finally have a legitimate backup goalie in now-healthy Jonas Gustavsson.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk are currently tied for third in the league in scoring with 11 points each. Zetterberg is tied for second in the league with six goals, while Datsyuk is tied for third with five. Though plus-minus is not always the greatest indication of ability or effort, Zetterberg and Datsyuk are producing well at the offensive end and are still tied for fifth in the NHL with a plus-6. Zetterberg’s 43 shots and Datsyuk’s 36 shots (fifth and ninth best in the NHL, respectively) suggest that they may not slow down anytime soon.

Alfredsson has contributed a goal and eight assists. His nine points is the second highest on the Red Wings. Among forwards, he is averaging the third highest amount of time on the ice behind Datsyuk and Zetterberg. More importantly, he is anchoring the point on the power play much better than the departed Damien Brunner ever did.

Full Story

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
When you sit down and begin, ask yourself -- what are you going to to say that needs to be said -- that hasn't been said a million times -- What are you adding to the Red Wings fans' dialogue?

I think we should all ask ourselves that question.

As for the article itself, I agree to an extent, I still think his timing is off from missing all of last year. I'm not that worried, if it were just Weiss having issues, then yeah. But everyone is off but Z and D.

Xvash2

Jul 8, 2010
I think we should all ask ourselves that question.

As for the article itself, I agree to an extent, I still think his timing is off from missing all of last year. I'm not that worried, if it were just Weiss having issues, then yeah. But everyone is off but Z and D.

Agreed. Through most of our games, the brilliance of D and Z have overshadowed the lackluster offensive performance by our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines. D and Z account for nearly 50% of our goal production, so if they get shut down in a game, and we average a little under 2.5 goals a game at the moment, shut them down and suddenly a team only has to score 2-3 goals to guarantee a win against us.

Babcock needs to change up not the lines, but the system we're using for those bottom 9 because whatever's going on, its generating lackluster offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad