Online Series: Weird: The Al Yankovic Story : November 4, 2022

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I was trying to find an old thread to bump on this to include this trailer, but no luck.

This movie looks great. I had high expectations, but didn't know what they'd do with it, but, this seems brilliant.

I saw this earlier today and try to figure out how I can watch Roku channel stuff. I wish this played in theatres though. I can't recall the last truly great comedy I've seen in theatres.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Looks absolutely excellent. Daniel Radcliffe is an amazing actor. Weird Al is an amazing character. This whole thing should be amazing and I'm excited. It drops 1 day after my birthday, so I guess this will be a gift for me :)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Love that the trailer, and I guess movie, are a parody of his career making parodies of famous songs lol For example he and Madonna never dated, heck they might never have met supposedly.

Reactions: Supermassive

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Love that the trailer, and I guess movie, are a parody of his career making parodies of famous songs lol For example he and Madonna never dated, heck they might never have met supposedly.
It's brilliant, lol. Probably so many ideas that they couldn't fit them all into the movie. Rap battles with Eminem, his food addictions, the court battle over the twinkie wiener sandwich invention, the grab-off contest with Michael Jackson (cha moan), his time in RHCP...

Daniel Radcliffe is the perfect actor for this, lol. Just 100% balls-out batshittery.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
The trailer shows Al hooking up with Madonna....that has to be a dream/parody, right?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The trailer shows Al hooking up with Madonna....that has to be a dream/parody, right?
Most of the movie is parody. It also pretends that he abused drugs and alcohol when he's always abstained from both.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I just watched it. I was honestly afraid of being disappointed, but wasn't. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. You may need to be a fan of Al to get the joke and appreciate it, though.

It's free to watch on Roku devices, the Roku app and the Roku website, no account needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardian17

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Weird Al brings back a lot of nostalgia for me, but in a… ‘weird’ way.

He’s not really someone I suspect 80s kids like me reminisce about his music or have a big attachment to his songs, Ie how Tears for Fears has this incredibly strong emotional hold over me to this day.

However, I remember my first exposure to him was when my dad brought home this ‘Eat it’ record and played it… I was really young but it made a pretty big impression on me as I laughed my way through the lyrics.

The next time I heard his music was at a sleep over at my cousins when he got out this Weird Al cassette and played ‘Nature Trail to Hell’. He, my bro and I were laughing so hard we had tears from trying to keep quiet because it was like 1 am.

A few years later my bro won free tickets to ‘UHF’. I remember sitting with my bro and friends cracking up before the movie even started reading the fake brochure with shows like Conan the Librarian.

He is this unique iconic subculture star that no one will ever be able to replicate.

Reactions: NinjaKick

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
It was surprisingly pretty entertaining and while it was itself a spoof it wasn't totally over the top stupid silly like Walk Hard was. I think you need to know some of his story to fully appreciate it though. My daughter didn't get it. The Jim Morrison reference was great.

He was my 2nd concert - at the Greek Theater in 85 with Kip Adotta opening - so I have some fondness for Weird Al.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
UHF is one of my favourite comedies ever. It's just so purely silly and doesn't miss an opportunity for a joke, no matter how dumb it might be.

I'm excited to watch this because I love the idea of Weird Al doing a parody of biopics.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I think you need to know some of his story to fully appreciate it though.
I agree. In particular, the father trying to crush little Al's musical dreams would probably be sad rather than funny if you didn't know that his father actually bought him his first accordion and was fully supportive of him doing whatever made him happy.
UHF is one of my favourite comedies ever. It's just so purely silly and doesn't miss an opportunity for a joke, no matter how dumb it might be.
There's a point in this movie that seems like a nod to UHF. You'll know it when you see it.

Last edited:

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I was waiting to see some reviews of this before I watched it. I am born in 83 and grew up to his music. If you have ever seen any interviews with him he comes off as one of the most likeable people ever. I am a fan of his but I didn’t want the movie to be bad and make me think otherwise of him.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I enjoyed the movie, the humor is in line with all of his other works for the most part.

Plus every fact in this movie was double-checked! What more do you want?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
it was better then I was expecting, not sure if some will consider this a spoiler, but I liked that it had some solid cameos like Will Forte, Conan O'Brien, Jack Black, Jimmy Walker Jr, Patton Oswalt, and of course Al Yankovic himself.

Daniel Radcliffe and Rainn Wilson both crushed it imo.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Apparently, Patton Oswalt was set to play Dr. Demento, but broke his foot just before shooting and was replaced by Rainn Wilson. Its impressive that Wilson owned the role on such short notice. Oswalt still had a cameo, but that's why it's very brief and only his upper half.

Reactions: montreal

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Thank God. Can't stand Oswalt
I also find him very irritating.

I just finished it and thought it was hilarious. It started off as a very mild parody and then snowballed into something ridiculous and absurd (think: UHF) the further it got into the story.

I was literally in tears when said "You messed with the wrong man, Pablo Escobar!" and went on his jungle rampage

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
I really enjoyed it. It would have been fun to see in theatres, but, I can't complain about a free streaming service.

It really did what I would have thought to be almost impossible, in doing a satirical musical biopic that's funny,but feels different enough from the brilliant Walk Hard.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad