Weird stat of the year - Oilers have the worst PK% in 30 years

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
eh it probably wont stick. Last year Chicago had a pk% that was below 50% through the first month and a half of the season (most of it due to a horrendous start with allowing 3 a game for like 5 games) and managed to jump to 77% while being 11th in PK from November onward. While they may not jump into the high 80s low 90s, they have enough of the season to bump it up to around 75-78

Last edited:

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
My opinion he should be first on team at least for forwards. I have no doubt it would improve
He is fourth out of the Oilers forwards in shorthanded TOI.

1. Mark Letestu - 56:58
2. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - 48:37
3. Zack Kassian - 47:32
4. Connor McDavid - 34:47

However . . .

Nugent-Hopkins has been on the ice for 10 powerplay goals against; Kassian and Letestu have each been on for 9. McDavid has only been on the ice for 2.

To play McDavid more on the PK would require giving him more ice time. He already plays 21:30 per game, which is third in the NHL in forward ice time behind Anze Kopitar (22:08 per game) and Alex Barkov (22:46).

The team might have to play him more if it wants to improve its PK and potentially win a few more games; there really isn't much point to managing his TOI if the team isn't going to make the postseason. The team needs to find a balance.

Last edited:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Theyre currently higher than my team was last season at this point. Pleanty of time to turn it around

Hawks were at 70.7% at Dec 6th according to this blog so yes the Hawks were worse.

The Blackhawks’ penalty kill is coming around

I hold no hope for the Oilers because of Talbot’s injury and the PK actually hasn’t been improving this season. I’m thinking previous season Dallas Stars like results at 73% would be in range.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
A 11-14-2 record is bad just looking at, but impressive when thinking we won 11 times with horrific special teams and goaltending.

We get those in order we will make the ploffs.

Well said. I also agree that if the two biggest weaknesses of theirs which are major facets of the game were not weaknesses, they would be good. Their record is definitely impressive upon altering your framing relative to the rest of the league while they retain all of their biggest weaknesses.

Another clever way we can look at it is, if you made goaltending a major weakness for every other team, and brought their PK% down to match the Oilers' but removed those weaknesses from the Oilers. Their team is stellar within that framing. All strength, no weakness.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Every bottom feeding team can say "if we got better $&/&&, we'd be better."

The reality is.. there is McDavid then junk.
Of course every team can say that, not just junk teams. Our pk is historically bad and our pp is only getting better. When things progress to the mean we are a playoff team. No way we are at 30 year lows on the pk or is our goaltending as bad as it is. You don't like it but too bad, you got messed up while we were injured and not performing up to snuff.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
They also went 0/6 tonight. Yikes. What is wrong with that PP? They only lost Samwise Gagner?
It's crazy, Ohio has wonderful fans and will never wish I'll will on the cbj fans. When they get their pp in order... watch tf out. Kekalainen has done an amazing job there.

Should learn how to multi quote. My bad.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Oilers jumped ship on talbot? But i had to listen about how much better than gibson he is.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Tuesday’s contest was just the third time in 86 games as a Canuck that Markstrom carried a goalless start into the third period.

Brian McDavid

Aug 4, 2017
Oil City Roadhouse
eh it probably wont stick. Last year Chicago had a pp% that was below 50% through the first month and a half of the season (most of it due to a horrendous start with allowing 3 a game for like 5 games) and managed to jump to 77% while being 11th in PK from November onward. While they may not jump into the high 80s low 90s, they have enough of the season to bump it up to around 75-78
I'll assume you meant pk%?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Not surprising as it is one of the worst rosters in the NHL in the past 30 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad