Weird Empty Net goals

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Last night I was playing league hockey it was 11-4 and I decided to dump the puck for the win, it went off the glass and bounced into the unattended net, (goalie was hot-dogging), I am sure someone in the NHL has done this, Shane Doan? I thought. Anyone have video of it? And what other weird empty net goals have happened in hockey?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
When Garry Galley played for the Flyers, on a delayed call, he passed the puck back to the point but it went the length of the ice for a go-ahead goal to Chicago. On the ensuing power-play, he set up the tying goal. After the game, Darryl Sutter (head coach of Chicago) was asked about the goal on the delayed penalty and he said "I did the same thing about ten years ago."

Stammer Time*

Sons of Pirates
Dec 6, 2003
St.Pete, Florida
Nikolai Khabibulin's first game as a Bolt the Panthers pull their goalie and right after a Panther defenseman doesn't stop in time and knocks their net off the moorings. Ben Clymer gets credit for scoring a goal without the puck going in the net.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
most fo the time when golaies score it is into an empty net while cleqaring the zone

a few years ago a uni goalie(I thinki it was a uni goalie) cleared the puck out of hos zone and it went towards the other goalie--pick was bouncing and the goalie flubbed it

in the 60's Mike Bullard was going for a line change and flipped the puck into the zone and the goalie was out by the blue line cause he thought he was about to get pulled

pavel13

Aug 15, 2003
Visit site
I think around 2003, Detroit was playing Anaheim, and I think Shanahan passed the puck back to a vacant point on a delayed penalty. The puck went the length of the ice into the empty net. I think Oates was credited with a goal. Either that, or it was Oates who passed the puck and Shanahan was credited with the goal.

edit: Found it, it was Oates who scored on himself; Shanahan got the goal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQGEK1YZ6WY

HockeyAndTheSox

Let's Go Pens&Yotes!
Sep 19, 2008
AZ & PA
Viktor Tikhonov last year vs. Vancouver... on a delayed penalty (Which he was called for) he takes a whack at the puck in mid air and OBrien tries to get back to beat the puck to the net and fails. Tikhonov gets credited with a goal and 2 PIM:laugh:

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Lyle Odelin scored on his own net on a delayed penalty in a game against Ottawa in 2000 - he was in the corner to the right of Damian Rhodes, and tried to pass it to the point. It skipped off the defenseman's stick and rolled the length of the ice into his own net.

Rhodes was the last Ottawa player to touch the puck, so he got credit. The Sens won 6-0, and Rhode's became the first goalie to record a goal and a shutout in the same game.

Spezza

Dec 13, 2002
Ottawa <-> Scotland
I'm pretty sure that Afinogenov or Pyatt had one for Buffalo back at the beginning of the 2002 or 2003 season. If I remember correctly, it was late in the game and the opposing goalie had been pulled and from the faceoff the opposing center won it but had sent it back all the way to their own net. Afinogenov or Pyatt got credited with the goal and they weren't even on the ice! At least thats how I remember it.

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
No mention of Ryan O'Byrne yet.

Did anyone noticed that Jose Theodore's goal is the only goalie to score on his backhand.

skeena1

May 15, 2006
I came across a collectors edition of The Hockey News from a few years ago (1999?) and there is a mention of Lars Lindgren putting the puck into his own empty net with nine seconds left of a 3-3 tie. I assume this is the game: ( http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/poboxscore.cgi?H19820215 ) but Vancouver would have a 3-2 lead, so I'm not sure why the net was empty. Maybe someone knows the circumstances.

Wasn't an empty net goal. Ken Ellacott had stood on his head most of the night (may have been his first game) and the Canucks won a late draw in their own end. Lindgren turned to ring the puck around behind his own net and picked the corner perfectly on his own goalie.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
During the Canucks-Stars playoff series back in 2007, the Stars pulled Turco on a delayed call, and Modano missed a pass back to the point. The puck caromed off the boards and slid less than a foot past the empty net.

There used to be a Youtube vid of this, but I can't find it.

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
This is from memory, but I think it's correct.

Bobby Hull's 400th career goal was routine, but the 401st the same night was unusual.

Boston at Chicago. Trailing in the final minute, theBruins pulled goalie Gerry Cheevers for an extra skater. Hull got the puck and moved in on the empty net. As he passed Boston's bench, Cheevers reached out from behind the boards with the big stick and poked the puck away from him. Bobby regained the disc, skated in and flipped it into the net with ease. However, the referee had seen the illegal poke check and awarded the goal beforehand, so it turned out to be a practice shot.

Cheevers said he had nothing to lose: Hull was going to score anyway, and maybe the ref would have been looking the other way. No such luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad