News Article: Weird article on Gauthier

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Aren't you doing the exact same thing? That is, picking Lawton's 5 year-too-late-revision of-history because it fits your anti-Gainey agenda.

I would consider a report that happened at the time, with Gainey confirming the names is not only more factual than Lawton continuously changing the package over time, but also more factual than the names that conveniently appeared 5 years later.

The words are RIGHT FROM GAINEY's mouth. What more can you have than that? He was pissed that the names were revealed and you're denying it? Cmon man your being foolish and looking even dumber for trying to twist what's right in front of you. Admit you're wrong and move on.

The only one that needs to smarten up here is you man. This isn't McKenzie or Dreger saying it. It's Bob Gainey, the freaking GM of the Canadiens, the man that was involved in the dicussions confirming the leaked report that mentioned those three exact names! Yet I'm supposed to believe Lawton post-facto stories that continuously change the names involved in the supposed package?

Gainey confirming that the names they spoke about ended up in public.

Gainey then confirming the names that were revealed in public. Not a single report mentioned subban, Pacioretty or Price at the time. In fact, the only time those names appeared were 3-5 years after the fact. And every year, Lawton includes a new player in the package that just happens to be one the Habs current best players. Very convenient.
I remember Lawton talking about this on a trade deadline day and my jaw hitting the floor. You're right though, those weren't the names that were made public originally. I think those names might've been bounced around in talks but I'm skeptical that it would've been all three. Several reasons for this:

1. There were names leaked at the time that these talks were happening and none of them were the three that Lawton mentioned.

2. Gainey himself mentions the names to the press and re-iterates his anger with Lawton - whom he's accusing of leaking the information.

3. Any self respecting GM (former or otherwise) isn't going to talk about this stuff on a national broadcast with players who are still in the league. One thing to do it 20 years from now when everyone's retired but to do it now? To me the man has a credibility problem. Out of a job and forgotten about, now he's a paid broadcaster. If he'd said that those names were bandied about, I'd believe him. Some might've even been included in the trade that was supposedly vetoed. But all three? I find it hard to believe.

4. Carey Price was Gainey's baby. I don't see Gainey giving him away in an already rich package for Vinny. Price in a trade for Lecavalier? Okay, maybe... but Price, Subban AND Max? Hard for me to believe that one.

End of the day, nobody knows what really went on. I suspect that we should all be grateful for whoever vetoed the deal but I doubt if it was the insane package that Lawton is now claiming it was. I think there's probably some embellishment happening on his part.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
End of the day, nobody knows what really went on. I suspect that we should all be grateful for whoever vetoed the deal but I doubt if it was the insane package that Lawton is now claiming it was. I think there's probably some embellishment happening on his part.

You think?

I can tell you, I'm 100% dead certain that he's embellishing so much he could teach soccer players some lessons. :laugh:

Your point about him embellishing to look better with hindsight is spot on.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Can we concentrate on the present? These rumors are as unsubstantiated as the controversy over who really wrote Shakespeare's plays? Or that J. Edgar Hoover was a cross-dresser? (I'd love to hear from reputable witnesses that he wore dresses!)

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Can we concentrate on the present? These rumors are as unsubstantiated as the controversy over who really wrote Shakespeare's plays? Or that J. Edgar Hoover was a cross-dresser? (I'd love to hear from reputable witnesses that he wore dresses!)

Shakespeare couldn't write for ****. He once spent a billion dollars (that was back in the days, you know... lot of money) to buy bananas for monkeys that were randomly typing on writing machines just so that he would get something out of it.

And Hoover was cross dressing so much that my grandfather, who was a professional carpenter, was once hired to expand Hoover's wardrobe into a huge, big-*** walk-in.

Trust me, I was there for both of these events!

:sarcasm:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Shakespeare couldn't write for ****. He once spent a billion dollars (that was back in the days, you know... lot of money) to buy bananas for monkeys that were randomly typing on writing machines just so that he would get something out of it.

And Hoover was cross dressing so much that my grandfather, who was a professional carpenter, was once hired to expand Hoover's wardrobe into a huge, big-*** walk-in.

Trust me, I was there for both of these events!

:sarcasm:
Shakespeare was good up until he signed an eight year 72 million dollar contract. After that he wrote Midsummer Night's Dream and that was the end.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Gauthier threads bring out the worst in people. On one hand they're extremely anti-evidence and make up their own conjecture ("Gauthier was puppeteering Gainey, a multiple champion and fierce competitor, just like that") or deny basic logic ("Gainey was in charge but we know he was just a lame duck and only a figurehead!") or neglect to take into account context ("Jacques Martin a few months into his coaching tenure as were Cammy, Gionta and Gomez but it's clearly Gauthier's fault he had such a smurfy, defensive team!").

It's like everyone becomes a fox news reader. You can't tell me that the facts are wrong and then cite the facts in another argument. If there is ZERO proof of Pupperteering Gauthier, then don't make it up - and at the same time don't rely on loose evidence of his daughter's death to suggest that Gainey was this but not that. No proof.

End of story: Gainey was around for a turn-around of our franchise but he did less than the minimum if you take into account how bare we were after a DECADE of him and the unlimited budget. Franchises have risen and fallen in that time and the Habs just stayed steady and mediocre... and burnt out a ton of prospects.

Yes, let's ignore that Gauthier was named Director of PROFESSIONAL scouting in 2003. And let's sweep under the rug his promotion to Asst GM in 2006.

Can I ask you two dumb questions?

What is the job description of the Director of PROFESSIONAL scouting?

And what is the job description of an Asst GM?

Thanks

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Yes, let's ignore that Gauthier was named Director of PROFESSIONAL scouting in 2003. And let's sweep under the rug his promotion to Asst GM in 2006.

Can I ask you two dumb questions?

What is the job description of the Director of PROFESSIONAL scouting?

And what is the job description of an Asst GM?

Thanks
Can I respond with one dumb question?

Who signs off on the trade?

It's like blaming Biden, Kerry or Hagel for something Obama signs off on... except that hockey GMs often have even MORE autonomy than Presidents.

If Gauthier gets all the blame (and credit) for Pro Scouting since 2003, then Habs fans should be kissing his feet. They got Kovalev and many other players out of him.

The fact is, it's all on Gainey. That's how the game works. The man retired his own jersey, I don't trust him and I don't like the way he did things. I'd rather have mired in the lottery-zone for a few years than have kept turning our wheels in the mud under Gainey, only to throw it all away and sign a bunch of lame-duck UFAs with a lame-duck coach at the end of it.

I'm glad Gauthier isn't the GM anymore, clearly the man isn't fit to be a GM, but he sure as hell isn't to blame for Gainey's misdeeds.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Did Obama bring in like minded people to. "Advise" him ?

Yes, and so did Gainey. In the world of business (yes, the NHL is a business), the guys who say No a lot to the person in charge tends to end up working elsewhere.

It is what it is. The Gainey/Gauthier era was an abject failure. No other way to describe it. No amount of pumping will alter reality.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I like what MB has done, but anybody saying that Gauthier left a mess is clueless about hockey.

Gauthier left MB with an opportunity to fix most issues very quickly...you can't say that about Florida,Buffalo, Carolina, Edmonton, Calgary etc etc where GM's have gotten fired.

He left a pile of picks and young players, plus some strong veterans to lead the way. Pretty small mess to fix overall.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I like what MB has done, but anybody saying that Gauthier left a mess is clueless about hockey.

Gauthier left MB with an opportunity to fix most issues very quickly...you can't say that about Florida,Buffalo, Carolina, Edmonton, Calgary etc etc where GM's have gotten fired.

He left a pile of picks and young players, plus some strong veterans to lead the way. Pretty small mess to fix overall.

I think everyone can see some of the Gauthier decisions bearing fruit, but overall he's not the kind of leader you want in Montreal. My pet peeve is the need to re-hash this everytime somebody scours the stats pages and standings. This one is different, a media personality made the comment not a fan, I get it. Gauthier and Gainey and Houle and Savard are gone and the new guy is working with their mixture of failures and successes. I'll give credit to Gauthier publicly if everyone will agree not to start these threads again. :)

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think everyone can see some of the Gauthier decisions bearing fruit, but overall he's not the kind of leader you want in Montreal. My pet peeve is the need to re-hash this everytime somebody scours the stats pages and standings. This one is different, a media personality made the comment not a fan, I get it. Gauthier and Gainey and Houle and Savard are gone and the new guy is working with their mixture of failures and successes. I'll give credit to Gauthier publicly if everyone will agree not to start these threads again. :)

Gauthier definitely wasn't a great leader, but he had a strong hockey mind.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Imagine a GM who compiles picks And ices a competitive team....like LA or Chicago.

Gauthier was not even close.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Did Obama bring in like minded people to. "Advise" him ?

Yes, and so did Gainey. In the world of business (yes, the NHL is a business), the guys who say No a lot to the person in charge tends to end up working elsewhere.

It is what it is. The Gainey/Gauthier era was an abject failure. No other way to describe it. No amount of pumping will alter reality.

Advisors don't always agree with their boss, otherwise, why have them around?

At the end of the day the GM is the guy with the call and putting his neck on the line.

I don't see this thread full of praise for Dudley, Lefebvre, Therrien, Mellanby, Carriere etc Everybody praises MB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad