News Article: Weird article on Gauthier

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Not sure where this come from. Richard Labbé, journalist from La Presse I usually like, write about Pierre Gauthier this morning, praising him for the success the Habs are having right now... says he have a lot to do with it. He says his tandem with Gainey acquired many players that are helpin the team being where it is right now (Pacioretty, Desharnais, Emelin, Eller)... Also say he helped drafting a lot of good players like Tinordi, but not a word on Timmins though

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hocke...nterne=cyberpresse_B9_sports_257_accueil_POS1

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Is he the one who brought TT here? Because thats pretty much the only praise I can give him other than trading Halak, which to me seemed like a no brainer at the time.

Jay Wolf

Jun 14, 2011
Is he the one who brought TT here? Because thats pretty much the only praise I can give him other than trading Halak, which to me seemed like a no brainer at the time.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I believe Andre Savard hired Trevor.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Meh it's not really that weird. It's more or less just giving credit where credit is due. Gauthier wasn't a great GM by any means but he wasn't all bad either.

Although I agree, giving GMs credit for things like 5th round picks (i.e. Gallagher) instead of the scouts who found those guys is pretty silly.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Gauthier was Gainey's right hand man, his pro scout. He recommended the Gomez debacle (Sather is still laughing). Gauthier handled the Cammaleri trade with utter disgrace. Gainey and Gauthier did more harm than good. Remember the Ribeiro for Niiniima trade?
Name one trade these two ass clowns won?
Thank god Trevor Timmins had the con when drafts were occurring

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Meh it's not really that weird. It's more or less just giving credit where credit is due. Gauthier wasn't a great GM by any means but he wasn't all bad either.

Although I agree, giving GMs credit for things like 5th round picks (i.e. Gallagher) instead of the scouts who found those guys is pretty silly.

The move that often gets overlooked was the Halak one, it took a lot of balls to make that trade with how Halak played in the playoffs and considering Price was very inconsistent at the time.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Gauthier was Gainey's right hand man, his pro scout. He recommended the Gomez debacle (Sather is still laughing). Gauthier handled the Cammaleri trade with utter disgrace. Gainey and Gauthier did more harm than good. Remember the Ribeiro for Niiniima trade?

More harm than good? can you be more of a cliche hater?

Gainey was around almost a decade and successfully managed the recovery the 90s from being a bunch of talentless losers to a team that consistently made the playoffs, setting up how they are currently a team expected to go to later rounds. To give him zero credit and call him childish names is pretty pathetic, I can only see one "ass clown" around here.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
The move that often gets overlooked was the Halak one, it took a lot of balls to make that trade with how Halak played in the playoffs and considering Price was very inconsistent at the time.

To me that would have been easy, when you are managing things, you make a decision and just stick to it, you don't change your mind. Carey was drafted with the intention of becoming our franchise goalie.

It's true though that Halak had converted many of us into #1 fans of his.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006

Gainey was around almost a decade and successfully managed the recovery the 90s from being a bunch of talentless losers to a team that consistently made the playoffs, setting up how they are currently a team expected to go to later rounds. To give him zero credit and call him childish names is pretty pathetic, I can only see one "ass clown" around here.

André Savard did, not Gainey/Gauthier

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
People hated Gauthier from day 1 because they wanted a complete change when Gainey stepped down. Very few were willing to give him a chance. He wasn't bad when he originally took over, not sure what happened after, maybe he was getting a lot of pressure from above, but he lost it, firing Pearn, and then Martin when things were getting back on track, and hiring Cunneyworth.
Labbe is right on some degree. Some of the guys here came from his and Gainey's era.
But it's kind of pointless to mention, every GM can have a few good moves to his name. It's never 100% bad.

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013

Bournival for O'Byrne

Kovalev for Jozef Balej and a 2nd

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Gauthier made a lot of decent hockey moves. He may not have been the most personable guy, but he didn't hurt the team on the ice I don't think.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

I usually ignore those whose only argument is calling other posters names but please indulge me...what exactly is the legacy of Bob Gainey and Pierre Gauthier?

Andre Savard had started to right the ship when Gainey came along. Timmins does the drafting so Gainey can't say he drafted anyone.
What great trades did he make? Oh yeah...throwing in McDonagh in the Gomez trade when all Sather wanted was to dump salary to sign Gaborik. At least we got Michael Busto thrown in the trade!
Giving away a young center for a clearly well past his prime Niniimaa.
Saying that the best move he made was bringing in Carbonneau and then firing him a month later...shrewd.
I am sure past legends would have been proud of how Gauthier traded Cammaleri in between periods and would not allow him to take his jersey without paying for it.
Gauthier and Gainey in my opinion were well below average but I will wait for your either personal insults or well thought out rebuttal. Either way I am not expecting much.

Like I said I usually ignore ignorant people whose only argument is calling other people names....

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
André Savard did, not Gainey/Gauthier

Ahh yes the legend of Andre Savard, had more influence on the team during 2 years as GM than the man who was GM for 7 years (and his sidekick who did 3 years after). Gainey derangement syndrome alive and well on hfboards.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Nothing weird. General managers from any business will get praised when things are going well (rightfully so) and get canned and blamed when the **** hits the fan, that's part of the job. Gauthier, to my perspective, was terrible at managing people and looked incredibly awkward but he made some trades that are paying now and his drafting team did well.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
In 2009 Habs had 30 million in cap space to address the team's flaws and made them worse. They showed Koivu the door in favor of Scott Gomez. Got rid of 230 pound popular forward Kovalev for 5'7 Gionta. Brought in Spacek and Mara. Gill was decent.
Cammaleri had one good season and playoff. We all know how that ended.

Seb

Jul 15, 2006
Ahh yes the legend of Andre Savard, had more influence on the team during 2 years as GM than the man who was GM for 7 years (and his sidekick who did 3 years after). Gainey derangement syndrome alive and well on hfboards.

In 1 year, Gainey managed to screw up all the work that's been done to put on a team that was worse. Letting Saku go to bring in Gomez and trade McDonagh in the way is an amazing screw up.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
In 2009 Habs had 30 million in cap space to address the team's flaws and made them worse. They showed Koivu the door in favor of Scott Gomez. Got rid of 230 pound popular forward Kovalev for 5'7 Gionta. Brought in Spacek and Mara. Gill was decent.
Cammaleri had one good season and playoff. We all know how that ended.

Let me guess, you knew all this even when the team was in the 2010 ECF?

Some brilliant 20/20 hindsight GM'ing from ace here. get this man a job in the NHL!

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
Was it Gauthier or Gainey who traded McD ?

Both have been tarred and feathered by that trade. Gainey as GM and Gauthier as head of pro scouting. IMO, Gainey is most responsible because he's the one that could put the kibbosh on the deal. However, flubbing a trade of that magnitude makes everyone associated with it look terrible.

Habnot

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Typical revisionist history....

Of course there will be positive effects, do you expect all moves to be bad?

Gautheir left the Habs in a terrible position - draft picks traded, minors bare, organization was slim, no organization standards in the way the treated players - total centralized approach of power. You can try all you want, but you cannot whitewash his tenure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad