Silver Seven Weekly Question: Was this a Productive Year for the Senators?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
It’s hard to imagine we’ll do that badly with these picks again.
Maybe we’ll get Zib, Noesen and another Noesen instead :^)

Well this is a very strong draft and we're likely to get two picks 6 or better so ya we should do a lot better

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I believe very productive. We are 3rd last but have a lot of overtime games. We were close in a lot of games. Almost 95% of all games were entertaining/we were in them. Few times we were blown out or showed bad effort.

It would be even more productive if we land a top 2/3 pick and make a serious move this off-season for help offensively and/or defensively.

I agree, but I'm an optimist. Are you overly optimistic too?

I think this year went exactly like planned - except, I thought we'd be Detroit bad. Now the foundation is set, we've had a chance to evaluate some of the younger players, we've seen Batherson progress, we've had a quick look at Norris here and heard about him destroying the AHL with Formenton (who could possibly have seen that coming). We've seen Nick Paul go from waiver fodder, to one of the better forecheckers on the team. Brannstrom has developed amazingly in the AHL, and should be primed for a good run with us next year.

Duclair is the one who was one of the best surprises (I thought he was a lock for 30) to one of the disappointments, because you can't go that long in between goals, you just can't. No matter if you're unlucky, hitting posts, whatever the case, in future years, he'd be relegated to a bottom six role (which doesn't suit him), because again, there's just no way you can go months without scoring in the NHL. I don't know what the future holds for him. I loved him at first, but this is a red flag.

Then we'll have the two big righties in the pipeline in JBD and Thomson to go with Pinto and then the two top 10 picks, the Islanders pick, which could easily be top 15 and the 4 other 2nd rounders.

Shit is coming together precisely as planned and you can't have it both ways, you can't say it's a wasted year after the team outperformed any expectations that were put on them.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Given they are rebuilding it was somewhat a productive yr for the organization more so off the ice than on it. They moved about 5 UFAs & were able to acquire a few more picks including another 1st rd pick. The question will be who they use those picks on & whether that improves the team long term or it's another shit show because he picks the wrong players for the future of this franchise.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yes.

What we now know after this season is Hogberg is an NHL goalie

Brady Tkachuk is the real deal.

Nick Paul is an NHL player.

Norris, Formenton, Daccord, as green as AHL rookies out there, have exceeded expectations.

Batherson, Brown, Brannstrom, Abramov, have taken a step forward, some bigger than others.

Shane Pinto was a great draft pick, better than anyone expected.

Boro can play better than he has.

We have three great picks in the 1st Round, and SJ's pick no one really expected it to be a lottery pick.

I am encouraged

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
I'd say so. Few guys haven't lived up to expectation, but Norris and Formenton have looked great. I'd guess around 90% of the board didn't like the Pinto pick, but he's had a really solid year as well.

The big one is Hogberg. He's been very good this year since being called up and if he can continue his play next year, that would be a huge piece for us.

It also seems that a new culture has been brought into the room with DJ. Our team is working really hard, reminds me of the older days where we had skill but out worked everyone. It'll be nice when we have more talent on the team.

Even Dorion has gotten better, he's learned to keep his mouth shut.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Raze The Stray

Duuuuuude
Aug 5, 2009
Auto-wah
I think it's been fairly productive considering it is for all intents and purposes, a total write-off. We watched that Karlsson trade pull a beaut of a 180 which is probably the highlight. As much as I like Pageau, I like the commitment to build this thing back up from the ground. Belleville is looking great, but nobody has really done anything to improve at the NHL level this year outside of Hogberg.

It's way too incomplete to really assess the season as a whole though. Who do we draft? Do we bring in some vets to help the kids out next year? Do we use any picks/prospects to make a splash?

At least one of Batherson, L.Brown, Balcers or even Formenton, should be in running for Calder, like Hoffman and Stone were in their days.

Hoffman was drafted an overager and took 6 years to earn his keep, Stone 4. That's a fine argument for perspective on development trajectory if anything. Brown, imo, is the only one tracking disappointingly of that bunch. I'd have liked for Brannstrom to have a better showing in the NHL this year, but he's exactly where he needs to be for the time being.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Ironically enough, all the good play and culture literally started when DJ Smith benched Ryan. Even Ryan turned stuff around on and off the ice. Maybe that's what Ryan needed to help him address his own personal issues.

Nonetheless, DJ Smith meant business the moment he came in and it had a ripple effect till now.

Reactions: Raze The Stray

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I agree, but I'm an optimist. Are you overly optimistic too?

I think this year went exactly like planned - except, I thought we'd be Detroit bad. Now the foundation is set, we've had a chance to evaluate some of the younger players, we've seen Batherson progress, we've had a quick look at Norris here and heard about him destroying the AHL with Formenton (who could possibly have seen that coming). We've seen Nick Paul go from waiver fodder, to one of the better forecheckers on the team. Brannstrom has developed amazingly in the AHL, and should be primed for a good run with us next year.

Duclair is the one who was one of the best surprises (I thought he was a lock for 30) to one of the disappointments, because you can't go that long in between goals, you just can't. No matter if you're unlucky, hitting posts, whatever the case, in future years, he'd be relegated to a bottom six role (which doesn't suit him), because again, there's just no way you can go months without scoring in the NHL. I don't know what the future holds for him. I loved him at first, but this is a red flag.

Then we'll have the two big righties in the pipeline in JBD and Thomson to go with Pinto and then the two top 10 picks, the Islanders pick, which could easily be top 15 and the 4 other 2nd rounders.

Shit is coming together precisely as planned and you can't have it both ways, you can't say it's a wasted year after the team outperformed any expectations that were put on them.

Tbh, Norris and Formenton absolutely killing the A, Brannstrom coming along as perfectly expected, Hogberg proving to be NHL calibre, and getting an additional top 5-10 pick in a deep draft is what's done it for me. That's 6 major pieces that should contribute to our core soon and that's damn promising.

If SJ made playoffs, Norris, Formenton and Brannstrom were pedestrian, and Hogberg struggling to stop pucks, it would be a different, different story. A different different Sens board.

Even with Pageau gone, he did us one last huge service by raising his game when we needed it most so we could capitalize big. Now we got an extra 1st and 2nd rounder cause of him. God bless you Pageau.

Oh, Daccord also killing it in Bingo with Balcers and Abramov too.

Reactions: Raze The Stray

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The Sens deserve credit for creating a positive development environment for their prospects. We’ve seen progression for most of the prospects over the year.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
What a strange question to ask...

Of course this has been a very productive season. Compared to where this franchise was at the end of last season, how could it not be?

Short of getting Laferniere this could be the best season one would have only dreamed of after last season. In everything Sens related. NHL, AHL, and their top prospects elsewhere.

Reactions: Hutz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad