Silver Seven Weekly Question: Does Dorion Get enough Credit?

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Weekly Question: Does Dorion Get enough Credit?

How much should we expect given the current regime?

1179634899.jpg.0.jpg
Photo by Jana Chytilova/Freestyle Photography/Getty Images
As some of you may have heard, Pierre Dorion’s boss was in the news again this week. And so ended what had otherwise been a quiet season of losing games, developing prospects, and mock-drafting. I guess nothing lasts forever. In just under four years as general manager, Pierre has now worked with three different CEOs (plus Eugene Melnyk during his stint as owner-CEO). Should we laud Dorion for his ability to go about his business as the faces around him constantly change or does Dorion share culpability with Melnyk for the team’s current state of affirs?

Read the rest at Silver Sevens
--------------------------

Personally, he doesn't get enough respect for what he does with the current guy breathing down his neck who who holds the purse strings.

I know a few people on here love to say he's the guy who traded away the Stone for nothing, but the verdict is still not done on those trades, nor is it really known if Stone wanted to really stick around for a rebuild. Will we ever know the truth? Maybe not.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Dorion is a syphocant, if he wasn’t he probably would have been fired by now.

Yeah... and who would come in his place if Dorion got fired? I guarantee you that person would be worse. Far worse.

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
Yeah... and who would come in his place if Dorion got fired? I guarantee you that person would be worse. Far worse.

That's true! No credible general manager with NHL experience will ever again work for Melnyk - who the hell would?. Melnyk has screwed over too many former management level staff for that to happen again. So the only ones willing to stomach doing the job will be inexperienced and who want to get their foot in the door, and this person better be a 'yes' man or he'll be gone in an nanosecond.

Reactions: bert

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
It sure looked to me when Dorion signed that 3 yr contract earlier than expected, that he was being asked to do some dirty deeds done dirt cheap for melnyk to tear it down. The 3 yrs looks like that is his chance to build it back up from scratch and so to me its only really fair to judge him on that. So far he has a decent start.

Reactions: lancepitlick

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Dorion deserves a lot of credit for crafting a roster that's about to almost finish last 3 years in a row.

Even when the guy was actually trying and not just being Eugene's spineless yes man he made the Zibanejad and Duchene trades that are some of the most lopesided trades of this generation. He will be in the hall of fame of bad GMs with the likes of Milbury, Waddell and Doug Maclean.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Anything good that Dorion will have made is from the assets he inherited from Bryan Murray. The rest will have been from tanking this team into the ground.

It just brings light to what Murray was able to do under Melnyk. « Rebuilding on the fly » since 2008 while having the team competitive and making the playoffs more often than not.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
I think I've been pretty clear on my opinion of Pierre Dorion: a good prospect called up way too early. He's starting to figure some things out. It is possible he never figures it out and ends up like Milbury et. al, but he has a good scouting history and has made a few good moves. The jury is still out.

Most GMs make some bad moves early in their career. The next year and a half is going to tell us a lot about Dorion and how history will perceive him.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I think he’s been an above average GM post Hoffman trade (arguably worst in the league before and including that). If we forget about money, I don’t know that many franchises who’ve done a complete tear down in this past decade have been as well set-up with picks and prospects as we are right now. Once they committed to a complete tear down there hasn’t been many moves I’ve been mad about. The question now is how well he does building it back up. His reputation, and the next decade + of the franchise, is gonna be determined by this offseason.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
This off-season will be defining for Dorion. The next 2 in particular. If he plays the cards right we can see bright playoff bound team in 2 seasons. Expecting a big off-season from Dorion. With so many assets, so many prospects, and a lot of contracts coming off the books, he can easily shape this team well from a huge position of strength. This will show if he's a good GM or a ***** one.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Dorion deserves a lot of credit for crafting a roster that's about to almost finish last 3 years in a row.

Even when the guy was actually trying and not just being Eugene's spineless yes man he made the Zibanejad and Duchene trades that are some of the most lopesided trades of this generation. He will be in the hall of fame of bad GMs with the likes of Milbury, Waddell and Doug Maclean.

Hilarious. And I'm not surprised your in the thread.

Dorion is a yes man and does what hes told by Melnyk.

Melnyk wasn't signing those guys and basically forced Dorion to trade them.

Until we get a new owner who takes the shackles off of Dorion and hes freely able to make moves it is impossible to judge him on his trades and free agent signings because everything comes back to $$$ for Melnyk.

Kamina

Amok
Feb 28, 2007

Let's not pretend the Zibanejad and Duchene trades did not involve the Melnyk factor. In a world where we could feasibly retain our players, Duchene and Turris could have played on the same team; Zibanejad could have been re-signed. Everyone knew Ottawa wouldn't commit to EK65, MS and MD. It didn't give PD much leverage.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Let's not pretend the Zibanejad and Duchene trades did not involve the Melnyk factor. In a world where we could feasibly retain our players, Duchene and Turris could have played on the same team; Zibanejad could have been re-signed. Everyone knew Ottawa wouldn't commit to EK65, MS and MD. It didn't give PD much leverage.

Also lets not forget Brassard was a more proven commodity with an excellent playoff track record. I was the biggest Zibanejad supporter. I bought his jersey. I remember doing a play-by-play breakdown of all of his goals to see how much he was creating with his own skill vs. how much he was a benefactor of playing with Bobby Ryan, and I was predicting a breakout for him. I hated that trade. But I hated it a lot less during the 2017 playoff run, especially when we beat the Rangers. Brassard was a gamer that playoffs. The trade will look less bad if Gustavsson, JBD or Tychonik turn into anything.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Umm you are still the ass hole but you helped build it back?

The point is everyone absolutely knows that Melnyk has his hands tied in a lot of things but Dorion shouldn't be absolved of blame for the mess that the Senators are/were in.

Sorry, may have missed your point regarding Melnyk. And I agree with your thought on Dorion. He's a willing participant in this mess.

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009
Until we get a new owner who takes the shackles off of Dorion and hes freely able to make moves it is impossible to judge him on his trades and free agent signings because everything comes back to $$$ for Melnyk.

There is no reason to suggest that a GM who has been bad to very bad under certain management constraints, would fair any better under a different set of management constraints.

Reactions: DrEasy

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Let’s see how this draft goes and who he spends his money on this summer.

he’s had brutal teams 3 years in a row, shouldn’t be celebrated. His playoff team fell apart and he had to break it up because they were basically bad mouthing him (Turris, Phaneuf, EK wanted out).

I like Dorion but it’s easy to sell everything off, rebuilding it will be the real test. Rebuilding it with no money will be impossible.

remember when he said all the prospects are staying in this rebuild - that will haunt him. No one believed it, and more likely proven that all the top prospects don’t stay and that’ll really ruin any credibility management has with the fans.

he’s also talking veterans up as an essential part of the rebuild, Pageau, Stone would of been good vets. What he really means is players on 1 year contracts and that matters because it shows he doesn’t have resources to commit to anything

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
Tkachuk - Norris - Ryan
Duclair* - White* - Batherson
Balcers* - Tierney* - C. Brown
Paul
- Anisimov* - Abramov*

Chabot - Jaros*
Brannstrom - Zaitsev*
Borowiecki - Wolanin
Englund

Nilsson
Hogberg
Gustavsson
Daccord

With the players coming up, they can trade more players for picks. I see Duclair and Tierney on their way out. Probably one of Balcers and Abramov sticks and the other traded. A goalie will go too with that depth.

1RD = Jaros --> Jacob Bernard-Docker
2LW = Duclair --> Formenton
2C = White --> 2020 pick
3C = Tierney --> White
2RD = Zaitsev --> Thomson

The pieces are there for a strong team. I see the top 9 solidified with the addition of two high-talent players in this year's first round, and the top 2 lines on D are set for long-term.

I am a fan of this roster construction. Give it time.

Last edited:

Dingle

summer is gone
Nov 22, 2019
too early for this thread. March 2022 is a more realistic date to discuss this. By then, the team is either well on its way up the standings and well on its way to its own FYOUS or it is still in the lower levels of the league with no real indication of an up motion.

Every action he has taken, has filtered down to a "zero hour", which officially started March 2019. We will see!!!

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad