News Article: Weekly Bruins Mailbag & blogs from Dom

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
5 of his 14 points in three games against theBruins after Carlo goes down with 10 games laying a goose egg. Matt Barzal didn't lead the isles to game 7 against the bolts, their 4 line team did.

great response chief

Barzal himself factored in almost 50% of the goals scored by the Islanders team in that 7 game series. He scored 3 goals in 7 games. The rest of the goalscorers in that series on that team were tied for 2nd with 1 goal each.

So while being the only threat for the Lightning to shut down he still put up pts and again all at even strength.

So Palmieri, Zajac, JG Pageau, Komarov, etc. All those players that make up this supposed 4 line team all registered zero points through 7 games.

Include Bailey, Beauvilier, Nelson, and you've got 6 TOTAL points spread between 7 players through a 7 game series.

A lot of passengers on that "4 line team".

Its quicker to just admit you were wrong than to come up with nonsense to try and justify your original take.

Reactions: DominicT

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

This is excellent

I will only add that at the 2015 development camp In Wilmington my kid and moi were sitting next to a lovely women who ended up being Zach Senyshyn mom. She told us the week of the draft like Tuesday & Wednesday I believe Zach went out to eat with Kyle Dubas who was his former GM of Greyhounds and recently named assistant GM of Toronto one day, and Bruins Director of Scouting Keith Gretzky the other.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
"He can't lead you to a Cup" is so obviously not a reason to pass on a guy that I can't believe we even have to discuss why that's absolutely absurd.

That's true of roughly 99% of non-goalie NHL players. And Barzal wouldn't have been asked to do that here anyway. He would have slotted in behind Bergeron and Krejci until this season, when he'd be our #2 center. Are Charlie Coyle or Erik Haula leading us to a Cup?

Was the plan for Zboril, DeBrusk, or Senyshyn to lead us to a Cup?

You don't like the player, fine, you don't like the player. But "he's not a 1% talent" is a silly reason to pass on him.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

This is excellent

I will only add that at the 2015 development camp In Wilmington my kid and moi were sitting next to a lovely women who ended up being Zach Senyshyn mom. She told us the week of the draft like Tuesday & Wednesday I believe Zach went out to eat with Kyle Dubas who was his former GM of Greyhounds and recently named assistant GM of Toronto one day, and Bruins Director of Scouting Keith Gretzky the other.

Fascinating.

You'd think that having not replaced their OHL and Q scouts before the draft and not having those voices at the table who have studied these players with any depth would lead Sweeney to put more trust into the consensus scouting reports from McKenzie et al. instead of falling in love with lower ranked guy that you think may be a steal and taking a massive homerun swing.

As for Dom's argument about Barzal not being capable of being "the guy" on any team, I'd say that there would've been no better situation for him than Boston where Bergeron and Krejci would've shouldered that burden ahead of him and he would've been the #3 C on the 2019 team.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
"He can't lead you to a Cup" is so obviously not a reason to pass on a guy that I can't believe we even have to discuss why that's absolutely absurd.

That's true of roughly 99% of non-goalie NHL players. And Barzal wouldn't have been asked to do that here anyway. He would have slotted in behind Bergeron and Krejci until this season, when he'd be our #2 center. Are Charlie Coyle or Erik Haula leading us to a Cup?

Was the plan for Zboril, DeBrusk, or Senyshyn to lead us to a Cup?

You don't like the player, fine, you don't like the player. But "he's not a 1% talent" is a silly reason to pass on him.
Absolutely. A very poor take IMO and just an excuse to pass on the best remaining player available THREE times.

SwayHeyKid

Living by faith, not by sight.
Mar 14, 2022
Fascinating.

You'd think that having not replaced their OHL and Q scouts before the draft and not having those voices at the table who have studied these players with any depth would lead Sweeney to put more trust into the consensus scouting reports from McKenzie et al. instead of falling in love with lower ranked guy that you think may be a steal and taking a massive homerun swing.

As for Dom's argument about Barzal not being capable of being "the guy" on any team, I'd say that there would've been no better situation for him than Boston where Bergeron and Krejci would've shouldered that burden ahead of him and he would've been the #3 C on the 2019 team.
I thought the story was the Bruins thought barzal was already taken or some other nonsense. They blew it by passing on Barzal with one of the picks and the dozen excuses I’ve read sense get worse and worse.

Reactions: bbfan419

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Fascinating.

If you search HF at the bottom here to June 25 2015 or whatever you get to read how we all thought - I was at the Bruins season ticket holder 25 + years ? Draft Party and posted as they went to stage - they had this Orwellian sized TV projection and we (me, my daughter & her BF, Alicat) standing before like the Dorothy, Toto & crew waiting for it to speak - and I told my kid they are going to sell 10,000 Barzal jerseys lol

One of those moments we all have had in life probably where you go ‘what the bleep just happened’ and to me Zboril didn’t make me flinch - DeBrusk stunned me and Senyshyn I thought was Svechnikov (the elder - not wand, brother) but it felt like a just missed my plane to my dream vacation because I was getting a coffee

Reactions: Wirelessbits

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Fascinating.

The Bruins didn’t replace their head scout he had all their information- that’s what he gets paid for. People like me read Bob Mckenzie

Reactions: McGarnagle

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If we are going to whine about 2015, can we at least whine about Sebastian Aho, who I would take 100 times out of 100 in the retrospect draft. Sure his consensus ranking was lower, but he was the guy Boston, and maybe 22 other teams whiffed on in that draft. Such a stud

Reactions: bbfan419

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The ones that drafted in the infamous 2015
The person who headed scouting and even got the cool title of Director- Director, of. Scouting. And held position from June 25, 2014, to July 2015 Keith Gretzky is gone and was gone as soon as his contract expired/ and he joined Chiarelli who hired him and put him a overseeing SCOUTING

There are people that don’t have the ability to grasp the obvious I don’t consider you one

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Love the Merkulov rating and info

Fun summer read

Bruins don’t have depth but top group has a good chance to play in league

Reactions: Alan Ryan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad