GDT: Weekend GDT| WBS @ Bingo | Friday January 4th, 2013 | 7 pm w/ stream

R2010

May 23, 2011
Not to get everyone all pissy but lets remember that the larger body of work is what is important about a goaltender. For example here is a comparison of Robin Lehner in his first 4 ahl seasons (to date) and Craig Anderson in his first 4 ahl seasons.

Goalie League GP GAA SV% W L OT
Robin Lehner AHL 83 2.76 0.917 38 34 6
Craig Anderson AHL 112 2.23 0.911 50 48 10

Now of course the important context is age and Robins Calder cup run but it is just interesting to see that the stats are rather comparable. It suggests that if Lehner's progression were to stall he probably would still be a goalie at a similar level to Anderson.

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
To Bingo fans:

How different is Lehner's 'presence' this year? Watching on TV is one thing but you really need to have been in the arena to truly know who has that dominant presence.

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
To Bingo fans:

How different is Lehner's 'presence' this year? Watching on TV is one thing but you really need to have been in the arena to truly know who has that dominant presence.

100%, positively turn around season so far vs previous ones, on and off the ice he is becoming the complete package..I have watched him since day 1 and he has grown so much that I have total confidence in his play and I'm sure every single die hard fan would say the same thing here in Bingo..

He needs to complete this season and he'll be ready for Ottawa next..

Nov 16, 2007
in your head
100%, positively turn around season so far vs previous ones, on and off the ice he is becoming the complete package..I have watched him since day 1 and he has grown so much that I have total confidence in his play and I'm sure every single die hard fan would say the same thing here in Bingo..

He needs to complete this season and he'll be ready for Ottawa next..

Thats awesome to hear.

I think the lockout really has helped him. Without the NHL, he isn't feeling like he should be in a higher league. He's able to fully concentrate on being Bingo's #1 guy. I kind of hope the lockout doesn't end just so Lehner and Sberg can continue the strong play in the AHL all season.

Also on a side note, I thought Stone was great tonight. He still isn't fast but he's so smart.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Not to get everyone all pissy but lets remember that the larger body of work is what is important about a goaltender. For example here is a comparison of Robin Lehner in his first 4 ahl seasons (to date) and Craig Anderson in his first 4 ahl seasons.

Goalie League GP GAA SV% W L OT
Robin Lehner AHL 83 2.76 0.917 38 34 6
Craig Anderson AHL 112 2.23 0.911 50 48 10

Now of course the important context is age and Robins Calder cup run but it is just interesting to see that the stats are rather comparable. It suggests that if Lehner's progression were to stall he probably would still be a goalie at a similar level to Anderson.

Lehner's done better and projects to be better based on those stats.

Anderson was with Norfolk, who won their division in Andy's first two years there and didn't miss during the four seasons you're using as a comparison. Lehner's clubs have been much weaker, with the exception of perhaps the Calder Cup winning team (read: the team got absolutely gutted last year, and this year they're playing with a first year coach and have a terrible SF/SA ratio). That's why Lehner's got a worse GAA. The fact that his SV% over that time is 0.917 is pretty good, actually.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Defence is ****. Our offence is in a transitional period with lots of guys still developing, and Alfredsson on the decline.

Well, I don't think they have planned to have guys like Cowen missing the season....

Murray isn't forced to move DURING a lockout. In fact, that would be very stupid. They will adress the needs IF and ONLY IF there is a season...

Seems pretty logic and reasonnable

The defense was supposed to be :

Methot-Karlsson
Cowen-Gonchar
Phillips-Wiercioch/Lundin
Borowiecki

Personally, I find that this defense would be better than last year... Outside of Karlsson and Gonchar, it's not spectacular (although I expect Cowen to become a very good NHL D-man quickly), but they're all capable of solid defense. Wiercioch has a great potential too and a lot of pro experience now. He played well in the NHL 2 years ago and could look even better now. Phillips, Methot, Lundin, Borowiecki are all capable of solid defensive play (remains to be seen for Borowiecki but I believe he could do well in a 7th role. He's a "playing it safe" player).

Kuba, Carkner, Gilroy/Rundblad, and Lee out
Methot, Lundin, Wiercioch and Borowiecki in

I'd take the second group without hesitation. I have been ok with Kuba (except in 2010-11) but it was time to move on... He's now 35 y/o and has lost a bit of mobility over the years... Injuries didn't help him too

Anderson, Spezza, Karlsson were the biggest reasons we won games last year and are still in their prime... so I don't see the problem if they are healthy. If the roster last year made it, they could do it again but of course it depends on many factors. Silfverberg, Michalek and Turris for example, Alfredsson is another. I believe Alfie could play at about the same level as last year, the guy is still in great shape

But ya, how to replace Cowen is a big question mark... He's that important to the Sens already

Last edited:

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
Anderson, Spezza, Karlsson are the biggest reasons we won games last year and are still in their prime... so I don't see the problem if they are healthy. If the roster last year made it, they could do it again but of course it depends on many factors. Silfverberg, Michalek and Turris for example

I would say the most important factor is that we will be reliant on Karlsson and Spezza to improve upon their collective 2PPG pace. Even those guys you mentioned, they all just had their best seasons last year. We need an all around fantastic effort to contend with this group, probably even slightly better than last seasons.

General Granny*

I am not worried about our offence, we have added a lot more skill and hockey IQ over last season.

Greening and Butler out of the top 6, Silfverberg and Latendresse in, big question marks on those two but its already a big upgrade, plus Regain if he stays healthy and Turris if he had the same summer as Weircioch then watch out. Plus the younger guys having a full season of experience under their belt will only be good.

For defense
I don't see Gonchar declining at all, just named dman of the month at the KHL, just under a PPG plus a contract year and an Olympics year, I believe he will have a better season than last, 35-40 points, plus he would get top PP minutes with Kuba now gone, call me crazybut I ddon't see him declining.

Philips is a question mark, in past seasons it has taken him a couple of months to get into form and now with already a shortened season we don't have much time, I am only worried about him

The Fuhr*

I see Derek Grant scored his 11th... Dudes going to be a solid player for us.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Well, he doesn't fly off the handle as much anymore. Once he's in the NHL I bet he becomes a major target though.

People need to let this go, teams aren't going to target Lehner any more than any other goaltender regardless of the league.

He was run, piled on, speared and he retaliated, good on him. MacLean thought he did the right thing, when players don't stand up for themselves then that nonsense continues, not the other way around.

Since then there has been a lot less of that stuff in his crease, maybe opposing teams forwards don't want to be on the other end of his wrath. :nod:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Last year's defence was way better than the current Cowen and Kuba-less edition (not to mention a declining Gonchar + Phillips, as well as a Karlsson who will almost certainly not match last year's heights).

I respectfully disagree.

First, the declining stuff needs to be put where it belongs, round file "G". For example, Gonchar was just named to the KHL All-Star team, so his decline doesn't appear to be as imminent as you believe.

Cowen is definitely a loss, however he played most of last season in the #5 spot, a role Phillips could more than adequately perform.

First pairing, Methot will be the replacement for Kuba, and while not as offensively skilled will bring more balance to the first pairing.

Second pairing, Wiercoich will get the opportunity in place of Cowen. While PW won't be as physical, he is solid defensively and possesses more offensive skill.

Third pairing, Phillips and Lundin/Boro/Gryba. Any of these combinations are as good or better than last year's 5/6.

Are there question marks, absolutely. However this version of the D is faster, more mobile, and is more balanced IMO.

The Fuhr*

He reminds me of a Renee Bourque type when I watched him play... Him and Smith could make a solid combo

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He reminds me of a Renee Bourque type when I watched him play... Him and Smith could make a solid combo

yeah him and smith sounds good together. we're going to have a lot of these bottom 6 type guys, i just hope the best ones get their shots and are the guys who end up sticking around.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
If Grant doesnt replace Daugavins by some point in the season assuming theres a 48 game season (haha) then theres something wrong.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
After Brust loss last night Lehner leads AHL in Save % with 0.946.
Interesting that his only shutout this season was shootout loss to WBS.
Is Bishop starting today?

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Am I the only one who is mildly surprised none of Smith, Condra, Greening etc. opted to play for the B sens? It's not glamorous, but i'm sure the organization would have liked to have seen that kind of committment. I have not seen any Danish games but i'm sure it would be better for development.

IMO, it would have made a lot of sense for a guy like Smith to do it. He'd have been able to play solid minutes and the B sens are pretty stacked on the wings. He could have certainly worked on his offensive game and had the bonus of developping chemistry with sure fire future sens like Silfverberg.

I'm not sure what the contractual/insurance implications would be, but I seem to remember Neil doing this in the last lockout.

We aren't the Sabres. We don't let people run our goalie. If they do, they have to answer the bell.

We we'rent last season. But who, other than Neil (who is getting old and will likely start distancing himself from fighting), will fight a guy like Lucic?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad