Pre-Game Talk: Week to Keep the Streak (@DET, ANA, @VAN, @SJS)

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
We have won 6 games in a row.

Monday @ Detroit
Wednesday vs. Anaheim
Friday @ Vancouver
Sunday @ San Jose

Let’s hope for Francouz again every game.

Everybody is still dead.

Burakovsky - Lower Body, Day-to-Day
Calvert - Lower Body, IR
Grubauer - Lower Body, IR
Kadri - Lower Body, IR
Rantanen - Upper Body, IR
Wilson - Decapitated

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The return of the MacK this week?

upload_2020-3-1_19-25-54.gif

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Do you guys think Graves finds a way to stay in the top-4 long term? Talking next season, and there after.

What do you think his upside is?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If MacKinnon doesn't score vs Detroit, he's going to score in Vancouver. Two teams he seems to beat up on regularly.

Looking now, the teams he averages more than a point-per-game against include Buffalo, Calgary, Detroit, Ottawa, and Vancouver.

I think we go 2-2-0 this week. Don't know why but for some reason I see us losing to both Anaheim and San Jose.

Reactions: Avs_19 and BrickNHL

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Lines when healthy:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Nichushkin - Kadri - Burakovsky
Donskoi - Compher - Calvert
Jost - Bellemare - Namestnikov

1st line: MacKinnon has played long enough without highly skilled players. Load back up and give that line every chance to succeed. Landy returning to form, should help.

2nd line: These guys were playing really well before Kadri went down. I would go back to them and hopefully Kadri can get Nuke going.

3rd line: Jost has flashed in recent games, so I could understand putting him next to JTC, but Calvert has overall been much better than Jost this year. This line should be pretty defensively responsible, while capable of getting on the scoresheet.

4th line: Not a bad 4th line at all. I have no idea if they could find chemistry, but I wouldn’t mind giving it a shot.

Omissions: I like Nieto, but I think he might be playing himself off the roster. Kaut is an interesting case. If he produces wildly over the next few games, maybe you have to find a spot for him, but I think the Avs are just too deep right now.

Wilson has obviously passed, but if he somehow returns from the grave, maybe you give him a look if someone on the 4th line is struggling. It’s going to be tough for him to be a factor after missing the whole season.

Reactions: Spleenless Wonder21

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Wilson has obviously passed, but if he somehow returns from the grave, maybe you give him a look if someone on the 4th line is struggling. It’s going to be tough for him to be a factor after missing the whole season.

Not expecting Wilson back, & if he does return I agree I don’t expect much after missing almost the entire season, but if he can return for the playoffs that’s a gravy depth addition. He played really well last postseason, & would provide additional vet leadership in the room

Plus I can bust this beaut out of mothballs:

iu

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Kaut is going to be a tough call. He's doing absolutely nothing to deserve a scratch/demotion, but when the team is healthy... It is really hard to make the puzzle pieces fit with him in it unless Jost falls apart again. Even then, you have to consider Nieto over Kaut just because Nieto kills penalties for us right now and Kaut is probably not ready for that responsibility (even though I think he would be great in the corners one day).

Reactions: MarkT

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Kaut is going to be a tough call. He's doing absolutely nothing to deserve a scratch/demotion, but when the team is healthy... It is really hard to make the puzzle pieces fit with him in it unless Jost falls apart again. Even then, you have to consider Nieto over Kaut just because Nieto kills penalties for us right now and Kaut is probably not ready for that responsibility (even though I think he would be great in the corners one day).
I could have sworn I saw Kaut out there for the kill last night. I think he could be a good penalty killer for us based on his smarts alone. Nieto cant clear pucks

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Do you guys think Graves finds a way to stay in the top-4 long term? Talking next season, and there after.

What do you think his upside is?

Ideally I think he's a third pairing guy who could also play a #4 role if need be.

He'll likely be on Makar's pairing to start next year as well while they work to incorporate the youngsters, but long-term I don't see him sticking in the top four.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
W Bednar reminds the guys that the 48pt skidmark could be bettered by the Deadthings
L Successful road trip sets up the obligatory letdown game. Its OK Panic Traders.....No need to panic
W Calder Cup G2. "Battle of the Alpha D" No Markstrom = No problem.......Makar #1 star
W last time in SJ was a G7 loss.... No pregame speech needed from Bednar

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I could have sworn I saw Kaut out there for the kill last night. I think he could be a good penalty killer for us based on his smarts alone. Nieto cant clear pucks

I think the roster spot battle, probably comes down to Kaut/Namestnikov/Nieto.

Tough decision for Bednar. Namestnikov and Nieto can kill penalties and like you mentioned, maybe Kaut can, but he doesn’t have a lot at experience doing so.

Kaut offers more offensive upside than the other two and has a significantly better shot. But, does Bednar want to lose an experienced PK’er?

Coaches need to earn their paycheque too. Hopefully he makes the right call.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
I don’t really see a need to keep Nieto in when healthy to Pk. We have Bellemare, JTC, Nuke, Calvert and Namestnikov to PK.

so when healthy I’d like to see

Bura-Mack-Rants
Lando-Kadri-Nuke
Dong-JTC-Kaut
Calvert-Bellemare-Names

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad