Pre-Game Talk: Week to Half (WPG, CBJ, MIN)

How many penalty minutes Greer gets this week?

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Not 0

Votes: 19 90.5%

• Total voters

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah, same. I don't want him back next season, nor do I think he will be. If we could hire him just as a locker room jokester, that'd be great.
They started to healthy scratch him. He's not coming back.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I agree. But Nieto being there isn't the only reason that line wouldn't cut it as a 2nd line lol.

Not the only reason, but I think he is the main reason. IMO Soda is a solid #2C... not elite or anything close, but solid. Comeau can pass in the right situations if you can deal with his bonehead plays. Having a legit 2nd line wing on that line would really elevate it. Compher could probably provide that, but it pulls him away from center. Kerfoot/Ghetto are not there for the defensive role that line has to play. Wilson is about the only option I see, and it is a large stretch to call him a 2nd liner... though I think he'd be much better than Nieto in that role.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
The Soda line could produce more offensively but it's used as a defense-first line. If Bednar had a reliable defensive center other than Soda things could change but he doesn't. Compher isn't there yet and I'm not sure we want him there anyway.

Notice how Soda's line produces when Nieto is scoring on his net front chances? Nieto has three points in the last four games, but for most of the season he does not finish his chances. If that was Ghetto instead. I think you'd see an offensive bump from that line IMO.

I'm not really of the belief that Wilson would plug and play on that line though. It would need to be someone with some better speed. Wilson kind of plays the Comeau role on his line IMO. Not much scoring punch, but good along the boards and keeping the cycle going. Wilson would probably still be an upgrade though.

You know who I'd like to see there now? AJ f***ing Greer, that role is tailor made for him.

Bednar has done a good job letting his best players go a bit and be more creative. That said, how much of this is MacK and the first line just beasting it? MacK has a part in 38% of the Avs' goals with points, and I'm sure that percentage is higher when you look at other impacts... probably to the tune of 42-44%. Bednar should get some credit for MacK turning the corner, but I think players like MacK can elevate beyond any system they play in. It took a bit longer for it to click for him, but it obviously has. If MacK was operating at a ~55 point pace instead of his ~100 point pace... the Avs would have ~20 less goals on the season to this point. That would put them in the mid 20s. If you look past the 1st line, the forward production is still pretty mediocre. Only Kerfoot and Soda are on pace for more than 40 point seasons. Soda's should be higher as his play is at a better level than that, but Nieto is letting that down. Kerfoot is slowing a bit, but should still crest 50. There are a number of forwards in the 30-40 point range (Ghetto, Comeau, Nieto, Compher, and Yakupov), but I'd only expect Comeau and Ghetto to crest it for the season (Compher has too many injuries).

The Avs forwards have collected 105 goals on the season. Landy, Mack, and Rants have 44 of those goals. Duchene has 4. The other 14 forwards on the team combine for 57 goals. The team is very top heavy right now, and with the way MacK is playing... the Avs can afford that for now, but at some point, Bednar will have to get some scoring down the lineup.

As much as a I hate giving Bednar credit. I also have to point out that Bednar has found a way to decrease our goals against recently. That is probably also a combination of Z's increased role, and Varly's numbers coming back to respectability.

That combination has made our secondary scoring less of an issue as of late. That has also been better, but as Compher is starting to heat up he gets injured, and Nieto isn't going to keep up his play of late IMO.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I’d like to roll with:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Jost - Kerfoot - Compher
Wilson - Soderberg - Comeau
Nieto - Toninato - Greer/Bourque

Andrighetto and Yakupov need to go be somewhere else.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I’d like to roll with:

Jost - Kerfoot - Compher

Sure, lets just boot 14 goal into the sun.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I’d like to roll with:

Jost - Kerfoot - Compher

I'd be OK with that but 2nd line would need to start scoring.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’d like to roll with:

Jost - Kerfoot - Compher

Andrighetto is pretty good. I'm with you on Yakupov though.

I've grown to be quite okay with "small" players over the last few years if they have other assets that make up for it. Ghetto is smart, gets to the slot and doesn't mind getting into battles. I'm still not okay with stupid players though. Yakupov sucks.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Andrighetto is pretty good. I'm with you on Yakupov though.

I've grown to be quite okay with "small" players over the last few years if they have other assets that make up for it. Ghetto is smart, gets to the slot and doesn't mind getting into battles. I'm still not okay with stupid players though. Yakupov sucks.

I'd still keep Yak for a 4th line energy role, and to replace guys on the power play for injuries. He'll probably go back to Russia, but if he wants to stay around in that role I'm fine with it.

I'll feel no loss once hes pushed out of the lineup though.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I’d like to roll with:

Jost - Kerfoot - Compher

What exactly is wrong with Andrighetto? I think he’s probably the most underrated player we have up front. He drives offense pretty well.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Andrighetto started moving his feet again around mid-December. I don't have an issue with him when he does that. Even is a decent forechecker.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau line works, and is sometimes even dominant, depending on their usage. When they started out life as a 4th line they ran the table. Since then though we've seen them get steamrolled in more than a few contests. One thing that's been helping the last few games is that the top line has been taking on the opposition's top line and absolutely pancaked 'em.

I'd actually like to see what Wilson does in the Nieto spot on that line. Keep in mind Comeau and Soderberg have the ability to snipe, but aren't really afforded the opportunity. I think a big guy who works down low like Wilson can give them that chance. Yes, it makes the line as a whole slower but I think that makes it more effective in all three zones, and it allows them to put Nieto where he belongs on the 4th line.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
BTW, Portzline had an article in The Athletic. Apparently John Tortorella had a sign in the locker room that said SAFE IS DEATH. After a disappointing stretch of games, he took the sign down and admitted they had to play a more conservative style.

Yikes.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
BTW, Portzline had an article in The Athletic. Apparently John Tortorella had a sign in the locker room that said SAFE IS DEATH. After a disappointing stretch of games, he took the sign down and admitted they had to play a more conservative style.

Yikes.

I love Torts as a coach. Polarizing, intelligent, and psycho lol.

Some things he does work really well, and others not so much. Hes like a modern Herb Brooks with a personality.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Yakupov is a top boy and can stay as long as he wants. He just needs to stop falling over.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Bednar has done a good job letting his best players go a bit and be more creative. That said, how much of this is MacK and the first line just beasting it? MacK has a part in 38% of the Avs' goals with points, and I'm sure that percentage is higher when you look at other impacts... probably to the tune of 42-44%. Bednar should get some credit for MacK turning the corner, but I think players like MacK can elevate beyond any system they play in. It took a bit longer for it to click for him, but it obviously has. If MacK was operating at a ~55 point pace instead of his ~100 point pace... the Avs would have ~20 less goals on the season to this point. That would put them in the mid 20s. If you look past the 1st line, the forward production is still pretty mediocre. Only Kerfoot and Soda are on pace for more than 40 point seasons. Soda's should be higher as his play is at a better level than that, but Nieto is letting that down. Kerfoot is slowing a bit, but should still crest 50. There are a number of forwards in the 30-40 point range (Ghetto, Comeau, Nieto, Compher, and Yakupov), but I'd only expect Comeau and Ghetto to crest it for the season (Compher has too many injuries).

The Avs forwards have collected 105 goals on the season. Landy, Mack, and Rants have 44 of those goals. Duchene has 4. The other 14 forwards on the team combine for 57 goals. The team is very top heavy right now, and with the way MacK is playing... the Avs can afford that for now, but at some point, Bednar will have to get some scoring down the lineup.

I knew you'd come around on him. :D

It's not a huge surprise the production is mediocre behind the top line when you look at the options but they do need to find a way to get some guys going. I think removing Duchene from the lineup and Compher/Jost not being able to step up yet, whether it's because of injuries or inexperience, screwed things up a bit. One thing I've mentioned a number of times is that I don't think they've done a good job with Jost. He has looked good recently and I think it's only a matter of time before we see it show up in the boxscore but I still feel like they haven't put him in the best position to work through his issues and succeed.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
The Nieto-Soderberg-Comeau line works, and is sometimes even dominant, depending on their usage. When they started out life as a 4th line they ran the table. Since then though we've seen them get steamrolled in more than a few contests. One thing that's been helping the last few games is that the top line has been taking on the opposition's top line and absolutely pancaked 'em.

I'd actually like to see what Wilson does in the Nieto spot on that line. Keep in mind Comeau and Soderberg have the ability to snipe, but aren't really afforded the opportunity. I think a big guy who works down low like Wilson can give them that chance. Yes, it makes the line as a whole slower but I think that makes it more effective in all three zones, and it allows them to put Nieto where he belongs on the 4th line.
I agree with everything except that Wilson would make the whole line slower.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Nieto works well on that line because of his speed. He's a hound on the forecheck and gives that line an added element that neither Soderberg nor Comeau bring. I think Nieto stifles the offence of Soderberg, but they're being used in a defensive role anyways. Any added scoring they can bring is a bonus to me. The secondary scoring needs to come primarily from Compher/Andrighetto/Kerfoot/Jost/Wilson/Yakupov. If those guys can do their job, it makes the job easier for Nieto/Soderberg/Comeau.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
So I've been reading the GDT's of other teams we play in recent weeks. Something I've never really done before. I'm noticing a funny trend of teams complaining about their top players/lines "not showing up" every time they play the Avs. Tavares, Matthews, Crosby, The Panthers top line. Yeah that's funny how those guys conveniently don't show up to play only against the Avs. Has nothing to do with Zadorov and Mackinnon.
TBH we do the exact same. Either we play good hockey or we play like crap, it's never the other players that are good or playing like crap.

Islanders played one of their worst game of the year and almost no one showed up, but all we could read is how good we were. It's the same for every fan base.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
TBH we do the exact same. Either we play good hockey or we play like crap, it's never the other players that are good or playing like crap.

Islanders played one of their worst game of the year and almost no one showed up, but all we could read is how good we were. It's the same for every fan base.

That wasn't his point. His point was how consistently other teams star players are starting to "not show up" when they go up against MacK n Zads.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Y'know one thing that'd be nice is for one of these teams that loses to the Avs turn around and win a bunch afterward. It feels like every time Colorado has a big win that team goes on a big skid and suddenly that win doesn't feel quite as good :laugh:

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I’d like to roll with:

Jost - Kerfoot - Compher

I caught some flak early on in the season when I wanted to trade Ghetto because I have always though of him as an expandable piece that is not on our long term plans.

But clearly right now in that lineup he belongs on the second line LW next to Kerfoot and Compher with Jost getting sent down to the AHL taking Toninatos spot.
That would make the most sense by far IMO...

Jost while looking a bit better recently is simply not ready yet for the NHL. Let him regain his confidence in the AHL and hopefully go on a playoff run with the Rampage.
Hopefully he can stay healthy over the summer and in camp and afterwards he should (and probably will unless we land tavares somehow) get every chance in the world to reclaim his spot in our top6 (or top9) next season...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad