Pre-Game Talk: Week to Celebrate (CHI, CGY)

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Might be news today, might not. Haven't heard if they are practicing but might as well make a place for it.

Last game of December and first of January. Can the Avs close out the month with 10 wins? Will Iginla finally get 600 so everyone can stop feeding him? Will the lineup get any more creative?

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Went for the middle four.
For the Grigs one I expect him to get healthy scratched over Wagner for one game.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Iggy will get 600 vs the Flames. He's playing great hockey right now. Better than how he played at any point last year IMO. He was a little more physical and better on the forecheck last year but he's making smarter plays with the puck right now which he really struggled with since becoming an Av.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Iggy will get 600 vs the Flames. He's playing great hockey right now. Better than how he played at any point last year IMO. He was a little more physical and better on the forecheck last year but he's making smarter plays with the puck right now which he really struggled with since becoming an Av.

Wouldn't that be great.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy is limiting the old guys minutes up front, and it's helping them. The next step is taking Tanguay off the PK and cutting down on Beauchemin's limits.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

Hopfully this is the December point where Iggy turns it on. We need to keep winning at this pace and him scoring again would be great.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
traveling 1,000 miles for the game new years ever
all I ask for is an Avalanche win

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Went for the middle four.
For the Grigs one I expect him to get healthy scratched over Wagner for one game.

Grigs moved to the concession stand line, and Wagner gets in a game. two birds one stone. How has Grigorenko been playing lately? Unfortunately only caught highlights of most recent games.

raistlin76

Sep 18, 2004
Cracow
www.nhl.com.pl
I would really like to see Grigorenko with Dutchy instead of Mitchell. Feel bad for Matty two games ago he was on the line with MacK and Gabe, right now with Mitchell and Martinsen. Still he scored beautiful one but it was due to his great play not because of linemates.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Grigs moved to the concession stand line, and Wagner gets in a game. two birds one stone. How has Grigorenko been playing lately? Unfortunately only caught highlights of most recent games.

Pretty good. Continues his stellar play in the neutral and D zones, and he made a couple of things happen during the SJ game offensively too, fed Skille for a decent scoring chance. If he keeps pushing the pace on offense I hope he gets rewarded by playing with Duchene for a game or two since Duchene's linemates are in total flux.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'll give them credit the national media is starting to give us a bit of credit. They all don't think we will make the playoffs but what they said is fair at least.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/14457493/nhl-morning-3-3-colorado-avalanche-ready-make-move

Sounds like an Avs fan poll, lol

Pretty good to be honest, as fans we're hopeful but weary... Sounds like the pundits are too. But they are least willing to acknowledge what the team is doing currently with a positive tone. Hell that's more than some of the fans here are willing to do.

Edit : Honestly with this months success, I'd be very curious to see someone with a press pass ask Sakic or Roy or both what the tipping point is in adding help to this roster during the season.

I'd like to know a little more about where their mind set is on the decision to spend assets to possibly add to the roster now instead of waiting until the off-season. Anything they do would likely not be simply a rental, but alas the question still stands.

Hopefully you could get something other than the standard ; "We're always looking to improve" ; but anything resembling a real answer would be nice.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I can say I saw it coming!!! I've been preaching since late October that this team would right the ship and fight for a playoff spot.

Simply put, if the Avs play like they have since mid to late October... the wins are going to come and this team will finish somewhere in the 90s with regards to points.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I can say I saw it coming!!! I've been preaching since late October that this team would right the ship and fight for a playoff spot.

I wish your prediction about Girgorenko came true as well, but more Roy's fault than yours lol. He didn't continue to get the chances to break out offensively. Instead he was yanked like a rubber band back to the 4th line.

That was you who said a couple weeks ago that he was going to turn a corner in 10 games or so right? At about the tail end of Tanguay's injury.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That was you who said a couple weeks ago that he was going to turn a corner in 10 games or so right? At about the tail end of Tanguay's injury.

I did around that time. The little things in his game are there and at some point it is going to click. He needs to have a game where he stays engaged and dominates nearly every shift. Once that happens, I'm sure it will sink in what he needs to do to be an impact player in the NHL. There are moments that it is tantalizingly close. Hell, even last night he had one of those shifts where if he turned in 8 or 9 of those in a game... he'd come out with a ~3 point night.

IMO what Roy wants with him on the 4th line is to have about 4 or 5 shifts a night where he individually dominates the play. When that happens consistently, he will move him up the lineup for a few more shifts. Putting Grigs on a line with basically no other talent is going to force him to assert himself more and the smaller amounts of shifts should bring more energy on a shift-by-shift basis. I think Roy has the right idea there, but I wish he would give Grigs ~3-4 more shifts a night.

This is a pure development year for Grigorenko. Fix what Buffalo did and get him on the right track... then ratchet up expectations.

Warriorpride1

Go Avs Go
Dec 2, 2014
I want to know how many points everyone thinks we get out of the next five games? We have Chicago, Calgary, Kings, Blues, and Predators. Honestly if we lose to the flames and kings but beat all of the central teams i would be happy. Of course I really don't think we win them all, but go ahead and prove me wrong avs.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I love the fact that they've picked their play up to a point where I can look at a stretch of games and think we have a chance to get wins out of it. It's painful when they have those long rough patches. Just keep it on and stay in the hunt.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I want to know how many points everyone thinks we get out of the next five games? We have Chicago, Calgary, Kings, Blues, and Predators. Honestly if we lose to the flames and kings but beat all of the central teams i would be happy. Of course I really don't think we win them all, but go ahead and prove me wrong avs.

Look at the games you expect them to lose, and they win those, the games you expect them to win, they lose.

With that list, I'd say they're supposed to lose 4 out of the 5 games.

This team in infuriating against teams they should wipe the floor with, and exciting against good teams. Definitely speaks to how much this team is led by young players lol.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
This is a pure development year for Grigorenko. Fix what Buffalo did and get him on the right track... then ratchet up expectations.

So what you're saying is that people need to have some form of patience...that's so crazy, it just might work!

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Lets just hope there's an actual plan here and Grigorenko is in 100%. Nolan also gave him limited minutes, played him with 4th liners, didn't always use him on the PP, and occasionally made him a healthy scratch. He was done with it and ready to go to Russia this past offseason.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Lets just hope there's an actual plan here and Grigorenko is in 100%. Nolan also gave him limited minutes, played him with 4th liners, didn't always use him on the PP, and occasionally made him a healthy scratch. He was done with it and ready to go to Russia this past offseason.

I wouldn't characterize it as that at all. Have you listened to any of his interviews? He talks about how much he trusts Roy and on and on. Plus he doesn't even live in Russia, he lives in Quebec. Not every Russian wants to play in the KHL, especially not young ones who have been in North America for years. I'm sure it's a card the agent likes to pull but I don't know if that's his plan B at all. It was more because they wouldn't give him a one way contract, it wasn't about usage. If the Avs will have him I have no worries about him staying. I think he knows that everyone is healthy and to sit for his opportunity. I agree I hope there's a plan for him, if they really see him around long term or if he was sort of a one year experiment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad