Pre-Game Talk: Week of Woe (CGY, @ARZ, NYR)

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Yeti can't play RW, Landy is better on the LW, and Duchene will still take draws, so why everyone so Sad Sally?

This is basically how the line worked last game. Duchene spent a ton of time coming down the wing with Yeti in the middle of the ice.

Theres a dude in the A right now who could play RW. Some huge guy from Finland.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Yeti can't play RW, Landy is better on the LW, and Duchene will still take draws, so why everyone so Sad Sally?

This is basically how the line worked last game. Duchene spent a ton of time coming down the wing with Yeti in the middle of the ice.

Funny that people didn't even noticed that during last game and are now complaining.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Funny that people didn't even noticed that during last game and are now complaining.

I was mainly focused on football and had the game on mute on the laptop so I actually didn't notice it. I seem to recall them just going with the flow of the game based on what I did see. At times it was Duchene carrying the puck through center and other times it was Soderberg. Only reason I remember that is because I was asking what eye Soderberg has an issue with since he looked okay going up the right side a couple of times.

I prefer Duchene playing the center role in all three zones but if this must happen, hopefully he still takes all the faceoffs and still gets more responsibility in the defensive zone. He has surprisingly been good there.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I was mainly focused on football and had the game on mute on the laptop so I actually didn't notice it. I seem to recall them just going with the flow of the game based on what I did see. At times it was Duchene carrying the puck through center and other times it was Soderberg. Only reason I remember that is because I was asking what eye Soderberg has an issue with since he looked okay going up the right side a couple of times.

I prefer Duchene playing the center role in all three zones but if this must happen, hopefully he still takes all the faceoffs and still gets more responsibility in the defensive zone. He has surprisingly been good there.

Going by the game report that was pretty much the case. Duchene took more draws and even in the dzone. Soda actually went 5/7 on draws last game.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I have been hearing a lot recently with regards to to troubles that the Ducks are having this season that they won a ton of 1 goal games last season and that it can be indicative of unsustainable play when that's the case.

I was curious to see how the Avs differed in 1 goal game spread from the 2013-14 season to the 2014-15 season so I dug up the numbers.

2013-14 Breakdown

Total 1-Goal Games: 40

Wins: 28 (70%)
Regulation Wins: 13​
OT Wins: 10​
SO Wins: 5​

Losses: 12 (30%)
Regulation Losses: 4​
OT Losses: 4​
SO Losses: 4​

2014-15 Breakdown

Total 1-Goal Games: 44

Wins: 21 (48%)
Regulation Wins: 9​
OT Wins: 2​
SO Wins: 10​

Losses: 23 (52%)
Regulation Losses: 11​
OT Losses: 8​
SO Losses: 4​

And just for fun...so far this season.

2015-16 Breakdown

Total 1-Goal Games: 7

Wins: 1 (14%)
Regulation Wins: 1​
OT Wins: 0​
SO Wins: 0​

Losses: 6 (86%)
Regulation Losses: 5​
OT Losses: 1​
SO Losses: 0​

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Duchene at wing? Crap, we really are headed back into the Sacco era. :laugh:

What a mess.
The difference being he is playing on the right side this time where I think he will be much better. That is the side he enters the zone much of the time.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
The difference being he is playing on the right side this time where I think he will be much better. That is the side he enters the zone much of the time.

If he's not playing center, I don't like it. Sounds like he'll still handle most of the center responsibilities still so it might not be too bad.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
What's normal, 50/50?

Unfortunately I'm not sure, I tried to find some information on that but haven't had much luck.

I found this article that talk a bit about 1GG and how the are becoming more common and and that it's largely impossible to predict how many a team will play in a given season.

My instinct would tell me that you would hover generally anywhere in the 40/60 to 60/40 range with a lot of teams close to 50/50. More than anything it seems to speak to the idea that if you have a season where you win an insane percentage of your 1GGs you may be in line for a regression, as the 14-15 Avs did, and as the current iteration of the Ducks are (though their problems are probably not just regressing from a high % of 1GG wins).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

I had a feeling I knew who the author was going to be before clicking that.

This is an interesting quote, never thought of it like that.

As a wing, when there's a switch at the center you're playing with, it can be more challenging. As a center, you maybe can play the same kind of game a little easier.You probably have a little more open ice. You know you'll have to win an important draw six or seven times a game, on the [penalty kill] or power play. I'm still working on my [defensive-]zone play, and I know that's really important as a centerman, but I really want to be known as a good two-way centerman

I also like that he wants to be a two-way guy.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Also interesting is our PDO (yes, the dreaded PDO) in "within 1" score situations. During the amazing 13-14 season our PDO in all strength situations was 102.5 which is pretty damn high, so we were getting great goaltending and shooting at a decent clip. This season currently our "within 1" PDO is 98.5 which is pretty damn poor. Combined with how many 1GG we have already played and that PDO should regress closer to the mean, it hopefully means we should start getting a few more wins when some bounces start going our way.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If anyone read Friedman's 30 thoughts there's a point on the Avs. Well two, one direct and one indirect.

The indirect point is that since 2005-2006, 44 teams have been 5 points or more out of a playoff spot on November 1st. Only 5 teams have recovered to make it. Doesn't bode well for us at all.

The direct point is related to Patrick Roy, and Friedman somewhat compares his approach to that of Nick Saban. Here it is: Thought #13

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-power-struggle-over-the-coachs-challenge/

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Roy on the radio:
- the team was very positive and wanted to win the game. He never sensed panic from his players when it got tied. When your players play like that, you look good as a coach. He was proud of the pucks they put on net. The results were there for them to see it works. He loved Duchene getting some goals, and the effort by Landy shorthanded. That game, the top two lines were very good. It's been a while since they've clicked together.
- there's no better teaching than what happened last night. When you're putting the puck on net and scoring, you can show it to your team. It's the only way to catch a good break. More you do it, the better you'll get at it.
- the goalies are very good but the tracking has changed the most. You don't have as many off man rushes as you used too. The only play you really have is to bring it to the net. You force the defenseman to turn around and it's tougher to play.
- before the game, they showed Duchene all his goals from two years ago, and he was always around the net. It's what he did yesterday. It doesn't have to always be pretty. Maybe a week ago on the first goal he doesn't stay at the net. He has so much skill. Their video coach put together the clips of his goals from two years ago and they think it benefited him. If you have great hands and accept challenge to be in front of the net, you can succeed.
- it's difficult to teach goal scoring and Iggy can do it. He takes care of himself off and on the ice. He's by far their best shooter. He has confidence around the net. Very smart and capable of going to pay areas. Jarome is a generous person, let Duchene do the interview after the game. Iggy is a leader his own way. He's very positive. He doesn't single out players. There's different leadership on every team. Cody would not be afraid to single out a player. Jarome is different.

- Roy sees team turning around. Toughes thing as a coach is selling yo fans and media that you're doing well when losing. Sometimes you need to show results. They'll win when playing bad and lose when playing well. He thought they were doing a lot of good things and they're learning a lot on breakdowns. They're learning how to play tight games. Last night he would have loved 6-1 but they're learning. All the little details, it's hard to be perfect but puts pressure on the team to score goals.
- they're in a stretch of 7 in 11. They need to rest, need to do more video, make sure they maintain structure and reinforce little points in their game. Thinks it's their first long road trip coming up. Feels comfortable because thinks they're playing well on the road. If the PP and PK are better, they would have better record and they're momentum changers.
- He said all along that they will use all their D. Zadorov is only 20. They believe he'll be a force for them. They fee sometimes it'll be good for him to watch some games and learn from it. It happened to him when he was 20. It's not easy but he learned a lot. Before they want to see him become a force, he needs to learn the game, details, and consistency. That's the proper way for him to learn. The trade for O'Reilly, they weren't confident to keep him so had to move him. They knew getting young players had to be patient with them. In order to get a top defenseman, had to go with a younger guy. Likes that Joe went for Zadorov. It's their job to get him ready. Roy was asked about Grigorenko and didn't touch on him.
- tough for a goalie when numbers aren't good. It plays with confidence. Varly will eventually focus on wins rather than stats. Roy stays away from goalies as much as he can. He likes to be in the meetings but let's Allaire handle it all, unless he has a view to share. He likes letting them know he was never perfect.
- challenge he likes the most is getting players ready. When things are tougher he wants to work harder. He learned the hard way in Juniors, helped him a lot. He thinks the hard work scares ex players. He's working in a town he loves, appreciates being back in Denver.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad