Pre-Game Talk: Week of Waiting (BOS, @ANH, @LA)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I wouldn't be shocked to see Stuart replace Guenin. The other two? I think Roy likes Holden and Rendulic too much to sit them at this point.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Accidentally clicked Grigs, though I think he could be given a shot instead of Rendulic. But I see both Gormley and Stuart getting in the lineup this week

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Watched all of Boston's games this season, they are really poor on D, MTL played them off the ice at times, ANA is a tough one, while the Kings look like crap right now, Quick is a sieve and their new additions are underwhelming.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I wouldn't be shocked to see Stuart replace Guenin. The other two? I think Roy likes Holden and Rendulic too much to sit them at this point.
Roy must like Grigorenko too, otherwise he wouldn't have traded for him.

It just makes too much sense to put him in. Rendulic has done nothing, and Soderberg is getting crushed in the faceoff circle. Get another center on that line.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Last year's team had a little issue with shaking off the rust after more than a few days off. Hopefully that won't continue into this year.

It's nice having our offense and PP producing so well. Hopefully that continues.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Roy must like Grigorenko too, otherwise he wouldn't have traded for him.

It just makes too much sense to put him in. Rendulic has done nothing, and Soderberg is getting crushed in the faceoff circle. Get another center on that line.

I'm not sure we should assume it was Avs who insisted on Grigorenko being in the deal. He's not eligible for waivers and that's why Buffalo wanted to move him and it might be the reason he's still in Denver and not San Antonio.

He's a cheap project with very high upside but I'm not sure he's a NHLer at this point. Of course neither is Rendulic if you ask me but Roy is very complimentary of him.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
As I wait for the game, I'm watching the highlights of the Dallas game over and over. Interesting things happen during the goal celebrations. Mackinnon makes his "happy duck face" for goal 5, as he makes his duck face EJ got smacked hard with Landeskog's stick, and after goal 6 Benn breaks his stick over his knee out of frustration. Fun times.

I think there's a small chance Roy changes the third line and third pairing. They haven't been good.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Mike Chambers ‏@MikeChambers 1m1 minute ago
#Avs practicing in blue pants for break-in purposes; skates 2day and Tue; game Wed vs BOS; here's off-day story http://dpo.st/1R63mu2

The Ducks announced they'll be wearing their new thirds in the game against us. Wonder if we'll follow suit.

Pun intended

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
I would LOVE to get Grigs (for Rendulic) and/or Gormley (for Guenin) in but I still think that Stuart is the most realistic choice. Obviously wouldn't hate to have him on the team over Guenin, either.

In general, I would love to see this:

Landy - MacKinnon - Tanguay
Iggy - Duchene - Rantanen
Comeau - Soderberg - Grigorenko
Skille - Mitchell - McLeod

Beauchemin - Johnson
Zadorov - Barrie
Stuart - Gormley

As for the games: W vs BOS, L @ANA and OTW (imagine MacK, Landy and EJ on the ice for the 3 on 3) @LAK.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

I think this depends on if he plans to keep Zads and Barrie together or will seek to replace Guenin as Barrie's partner. If it's the former then I agree it'd be Stuart stepping in for Guenin alongside Holden; but if it's the latter I'd expect Gormley to get the call since Roy tested that pairing out heavily in camp/pre-season. Of course Stuart could still replace Holden as Zads' partner, but I don't think Patty will replace both right away since Holden did well in the first half of game one and made some nice plays against Dallas.

Re Rendulic; I don't mind giving him another shot but I'd replace him on that Rantanen-Soderberg line with Iggy and stick him next to Comeau-Duchene...or Highlander-Malkin if it's Skille getting bumped up to Dutchy's line.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Stuart with Holden at practice, Gormley with Guenin. I'm guessing Stuart plays.

Maybe Roy realizes that Guenin screens Varly more than any other player on the ice and often loses his man if they are standing behind him next to the crease. Mostly the screening thing though. I have seen at least two goals this season that Varly was being screened by Guening, who was backing up all the way to the crease because someone on the other team was skating the puck at him.

Very happy that Zads - Barrie look to be a thing.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I think we're putting too much stock in Roy being a part of these deals. I'm sure he has his input, but I think Sakic is really driving them. Roy has already confirmed it was all Sakic in orchestrating the Gormley/Elliott swap. We also know that Sakic was on the phone looking for that LHD we ended up with in Zads and he had some pretty positive remarks about how the team felt about him.

I think Roy has his input, but it's a lot of Sakic, Billington and MacFarland making the decisions during trades. I see Roy managing the roster that they provide to him more.

That being said I'd like to see him put Grigs and Gormley into the lineup. Grigs with Duchy and Gorms with Guenin (since it probably will be either him or Stuart, doubt it'd be both). I'd be surprised if Grigs sees ice time though, the team just won and scoring was not the issue. Maybe he sits Rendulic.

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
^^^ Rather see Gormley in with Stuart, and both Guenin and Holden out.
Not likely, since Holden has played well on a couple plays.
Guenin needs to be pulled, though.
I guess Stuart in with Holden would be better than Gormley paired with Holden... dunno :dunno:

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I think the improvement from Holden to Gormley is bigger than from Guenin to Stuart. Perhaps I'm alone in that one.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think the improvement from Holden to Gormley is bigger than from Guenin to Stuart. Perhaps I'm alone in that one.

Holden has been serviceable the past few games, as much as I hate to admit it. I'd agree with you if we look at the full season, but right now I wouldn't say he's that much bigger of an upgrade.

Why can't we just have a Gormley - Holden pairing? Not like Guenin does anything when he's on the PK/defensive zone anyways.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
IMO the best combo out of the bottom 4 would be Gormley-Stuart. Stuart is the best out of the group defensively, and Gormley can at least move the puck. Holden is average at best at move the puck and doesn't play good defense. Guenin isn't really good at anything. I'd be afraid of Gormley and Holden together... way too weak defensively.

I'm totally okay with Holden-Stuart though. They were solid at the end of last season.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not greedy. I don't expect Roy to get everything right next game. But I do want to see baby steps and at least one of Guenin/Holden exiled.

I think I'm more against a Rendulic-Söderberg-Rantanen line more than Rendulic. Too many new players and it seems they don't mix well at all. But of the three, one is the most redundantulic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad