Pre-Game Talk: Week of the Extinct Condor (Pit, @LA, @Ari)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah, the Central is just way too tough for us to actually make a run for the playoffs. And I expect the 2nd half of the season to be a lot more losing once we play the Central more.

We'll fall down the standings. BUT, if they keep playing with high energy and with a purpose like they did last night against the Pens and the Lightning before, it should make for some entertaining games and a real positive outlook on the future of this team.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
We'll fall down the standings. BUT, if they keep playing with high energy and with a purpose like they did last night against the Pens and the Lightning before, it should make for some entertaining games and a real positive outlook on the future of this team.
Yeah, if only Jost and Makar didn't already bust.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I just realized that I have a minor identity crisis. I don't know who my favourite player is now that Matt is gone. In the long run I think it will be MacK, Rants, Z or Compher. Don't get me wrong, I like quite many of our players but no one clearly stands out for me. Guess that I got to give it time. Strange feeling.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I just realized that I have a minor identity crisis. I don't know who my favourite player is now that Matt is gone. In the long run I think it will be MacK, Rants, Z or Compher. Don't get me wrong, I like quite many of our players but no one clearly stands out for me. Guess that I got to give it time. Strange feeling.

Mines been Big Z since last season at least on the Avs. But since Sakic and Forsberg retired I’ve never really had a favorite player. Although I really liked Chris Stewart his first 2 seasons with us.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Mines been Big Z since last season at least on the Avs. But since Sakic and Forsberg retired I’ve never really had a favorite player. Although I really liked Chris Stewart his first 2 seasons with us.

Zs last season had so awesome moments that he almost stole my heart already. If I won't get Rantanens jersey I think I'll get Zadorovs. We'll see how this develops.

I don't think I've ever had a favourite player. Always cheered for every player on the team equally unless they drove me nuts (Beauchemin).

Of course I cheer for the team first and foremost. At least when it comes to cheering for the Avs. But it's interesting to me that you've never had a true favourite player.

When I moved to Jyväskylä ~6 years ago, I started to cheer for the local club JYP as my hometown didn't have Liiga team back then (they do now and they're the ones I sympathise and follow casually). I followed everything JYP related, went to their games, listened to their games from radio, bought fan stuff and so on. Eric Perrin and Sami Vatanen both played for JYP back then. My ABSOLUTE favourite player was Sami Vatanen. When Vatanen left to North America my enthusiasm towards JYP just disappeared (and I'm not a huge Vats fan anymore since he went to Ducks [which wasn't his "fault" I know]. I wish him all the best at NJD tho). I don't know why it happened but I didn't go to JYP games anymore, I didn't follow them on the media etc. I haven't seen a JYP game live in few years now. I guess that's just an example for you that losing a player can kill fans enthusiasm towards a team lol.

If I was Senators fan and the team let EK walk or traded him for something completely not-awesome I don't know how that would affect my enthusiasm. But my love of the Avs didn't suffer at all when Duchene left. Guess it's situational.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My wife asked me to list my five favorite Avs players, I kinda had a hard time doing so. Don't get me wrong, I REALLY like this team, there just isn't one guy I'm wanting to run to Bill's Sports Collectibles for. I mean, I'm old, so that means many of my all-time favorite players have long since retired. I'm honestly not sure who I'd get put on the back of a jersey if I went out and bought one.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
If I was to get a new jersey, I think it'd be either Compher or Zadorov. I really want to get Zadorov but I'm always worried about if a player will be here for long or not. It's why I never got an O'Reilly jersey even though I always wanted to. As of now, I have MacKinnon, EJ, and Landeskog jerseys - all of whom I suspect will be here long term and have been here for a little while, too.

Reactions: Murzu

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I may get a Kerfoot jersey, but I'm waiting to see if he takes 14 if/when Comeau leaves. I am also assuming Girard wants 94.

I always thought MacKinnon would take 22 the moment it was available but I guess he's going to stick with 29.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Landeskog, Mackinnon, Compher, EJ, Zadorov. Those are my favorites. Cant choose one right now.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I usually don't have too many favourites. In all my years of watching hockey the only guys that I would label as my favourite player, would be Forsberg, Kariya, Kiprusoff and Marty St.Louis.

But as of today? I'd say a tie between MacKinnon and Z.

member 116861

EJ is my favourite, I was pumping that Aves won the trade train hard and I was right. Also Jujhar Khaira.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Spender

Feb 16, 2013
Växjö
Landeskog is my guy, but Compher is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. That kid just plays the right way.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Mack for me, though I generally dont really have a favorite so much as it is that whoever is the most productive player on the team in a season is usually the one I'm hoping for success from.

It's been so long since the Avs had a player go PPG or PPG+ over a full season that I really want to see someone do that for us again. Duchene was close and probably would have done it in that 13/14 season but the injury cut his year short.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
My wife asked me to list my five favorite Avs players, I kinda had a hard time doing so. Don't get me wrong, I REALLY like this team, there just isn't one guy I'm wanting to run to Bill's Sports Collectibles for. I mean, I'm old, so that means many of my all-time favorite players have long since retired. I'm honestly not sure who I'd get put on the back of a jersey if I went out and bought one.

I'm in a similar boat right now. If MacK keeps this up, then it will be him for me. Which is actually not my usual. Foote, Forsberg, and Hejduk were mine. I liked Sakic fine, but I always appreciated skilled players that play a tougher game.

I thought it was going to be Landeskog, until he cut bait on viking mode.

EJ is the only guy right now I have any emotional attachment to. I get irritated when people talk about trading him. He was a player I kept my eye on before we got him.

I'm waiting for a player to bring some consistency, skill, and grit all at the same time. Compher is another possibility, but he needs to start to produce. I'd also like to see Compher bring some of his agitating attitude where he subtley pisses other players off. Maybe when he gets a little more confident.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Dater put an article out today stating that BSN will be moving to a subscription based service to give the best possible coverage of the Avs.

I know that they want to do their own thing and build it from the ground up, but I think I'd prefer someone go to The Athletic sooner than later to cover the Avs. Doesn't have to be someone from BSN, just don't let it be Mike Chambers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad