Pre-Game Talk: Week of Sin (@VGK^2, VGK Tahoe, VGK)

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Our forward group is complete, huh? Don't know about you guys but that makes me nervous.
Hockey gods will not like that. This is how i expect our locker room to look AfTER the game.

Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-137-1041-30%2C_Russland%2C_Lazarett.jpg

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Bednar is saying Landy, Jost, Calvert and Sherwood are all good to go but he's not sure about Makar. There is a chance he might not play in Tahoe?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bednar is saying Landy, Jost, Calvert and Sherwood are all good to go but he's not sure about Makar. There is a chance he might not play in Tahoe?

Didn't you just answer your own question?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
That's the dream. Then come Sunday when Girard is taken off the COVID list, Avs are only missing EJ and Francouz.
With all the forwards back Bednar is going to have a difficult decision to make, especially given the circumstance of an outdoor game every single player would be chomping at the bit to be a part of.

Does he drop O'Connor to make room for Calvert, despite O'Connor having played well and doing everything asked of him?

Does he leave out Bellemare, despite him not being healthy scratched before, for what is a huge game in a setting he'd love to be part of?

Or does he leave out Jost as he won't be as game-sharp as guys like O'Connor who has been playing regularly, or Bellemare who already shook off his rust?

Or does Compher choose the high-profile Tahoe game as the ideal opportunity to send Compher a message by scratching him?

I'd guess that Calvert will be eased in and might not be ready in time for this game, but if he is ready then it's probably O'Connor sitting, unfortunately.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
With all the forwards back Bednar is going to have a difficult decision to make, especially given the circumstance of an outdoor game every single player would be chomping at the bit to be a part of.

Does he drop O'Connor to make room for Calvert, despite O'Connor having played well and doing everything asked of him?

Does he leave out Bellemare, despite him not being healthy scratched before, for what is a huge game in a setting he'd love to be part of?

Or does he leave out Jost as he won't be as game-sharp as guys like O'Connor who has been playing regularly, or Bellemare who already shook off his rust?

Or does Compher choose the high-profile Tahoe game as the ideal opportunity to send Compher a message by scratching him?

I'd guess that Calvert will be eased in and might not be ready in time for this game, but if he is ready then it's probably O'Connor sitting, unfortunately.

They'll have a similar conundrum when EJ is back.

Toews - Makar
Byram - Girard
Graves - Timmins ... EJ? who sits?

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019

Toews - Makar
Byram - Girard
It would most likely be Timmins who sits once EJ is back. He can probably do with watching a couple of games from the stands to settle himself down. Graves would be on a short leash though.

Same in the forward positions. O'Connor probably gets dropped, but all the guys in the bottom 6 would know that they'd be on a short leash with O'Connor right there just waiting to pounce and take their spot (JT I'm looking at you).

Reactions: missionAvs

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Toews - Makar
Byram - Girard
Timmins. I don’t think we'll see a fully healthy roster anytime soon anyway.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
That's the dream. Then come Sunday when Girard is taken off the COVID list, Avs are only missing EJ and Francouz.
I have given up hope that we'll ever see the Avs completely healthy. I mean the only time we might see them completely healthy is in the first couple of games of a new season, then they start falling one by one

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
It would most likely be Timmins who sits once EJ is back. He can probably do with watching a couple of games from the stands to settle himself down. Graves would be on a short leash though.

Same in the forward positions. O'Connor probably gets dropped, but all the guys in the bottom 6 would know that they'd be on a short leash with O'Connor right there just waiting to pounce and take their spot (JT I'm looking at you).
I would scratch Jost or Bellemare instead of LOC. O'Connor has given that bottom 6 some life. Go with Calvert-Jost-LOC or Bellemare instead of Jost

Reactions: Richard88

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango

I went back and forth in my head about a dozen times - in the middle of your post. Even though Belle and Calvert have been in an outdoor game before, I would still give them both nods for their 'character'. I don't see JTC being cut by both sides of the coin: By now he knows he sucks, and he won't like being embarrassed. But does Sakic shoot himself in the foot by allowing Bednar to bench a guy we are all desperate to trade - on National TV.

Bednar is going to have to give the same Bednaresque talk to either Jost or O'Connor. Both have met the goals set for the early season. Both have probably exceeded expectations. My initial feeling was that LOC would get the shaft. That said, Jost knows precisely what he needs to do for every minute of the season. LOC has far less reason to be confident. And if Calvert IS back, that means that CalvertJr. is going to eat nachos. Wouldn't this be a great way to communicate to a player who'll be riding a taxi or 13F this season, that he is an appreciated part of the team?

For purely medical reasons, I'd like to think Calvert sits this one out. He has issues with lighting, and this is entirely different light. I pray he takes every precaution to not get his bell rung.

Reactions: Richard88

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
When Calvert is back to full health, he’ll be a regular.

As for who sits, Compher is certainly the most deserving. The question is, does Bednar want to make Jost the 3C?

It would suck to take LOC out. He’s been such a great spark plug for the bottom-6.
I dont think Jared has the stones to sit JTC over LOC. LOC deserves to play but we all know how this is going to go down. I would love to be wrong on this.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I dont think Jared has the stones to sit JTC over LOC. LOC deserves to play but we all know how this is going to go down. I would love to be wrong on this.
The only logical thing to do is to play 13 forwards and 5 defensemen with Bellemare playing on PK1 and taking key DZ draws only. Playing with 5 D has worked well in the vast majority of the last two games where they came out completely fine having only conceded 3 goals in 120 minutes.

Landeskog ----- Mackinnon ---- Rantanen
Burakovsky -------- Kadri --------- Saad
Nichuskin -------- Compher ----- Donskoi
Calvert -------------- Jost --------- O'Connor
-------------------- Bellemare -----------------

Toews --- Makar
Byram --- Timmins
Graves

Grubauer
Werner

:sarcasm:

cccoltsicehockey

May 1, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I would scratch Jost or Bellemare instead of LOC. O'Connor has given that bottom 6 some life. Go with Calvert-Jost-LOC or Bellemare instead of Jost
Yeah, I am really hoping LOC doesn't get dropped out. The spark he has provided as of late is great and I think he should stay in till he shows otherwise. I think he gets a full time position on the roster next year as well. Or at least he deserves it.

Reactions: the_fan

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Timmins has been better than Graves. I really think if they continue to play at the same levels, Graves should sit.

Which would also allow for a LD and a RD on each pairing.

Toews - Makar
Girard - EJ
Byram - Timmins
Graves

Not that we'll be healthy again any time soon, but this is what I would do as of right now.

Reactions: sethro109

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They are not scratching JTC. I’d personally move on from Calvert for LOC as they are essentially the same person and LOC doesn’t have the wear and tear on him.

As far as lineup the next game I think Jost might have to be the odd man out, he’s still on NHL Non Roster, they chose to activate Calvert and not him at this time plus the more that’s still on that list the more emergency exceptions they get.

Byram and Timmins won’t be a pair moving forward. Bednar already spoke of his vision of EJ and Graves as the defensive bottom pair too. Might see a lot more of Byram and Girard if full health is ever achieved.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Bednar already spoke of his vision of EJ and Graves as the defensive bottom pair too. Might see a lot more of Byram and Girard if full health is ever achieved.

Interesting. Graves/EJ might be a very good bottom pairing :) with Timmins looking to replace EJ when hurt / resting.

Still think that Byram/Makar would be a better pairing though, with then Toews/Girard just my opinion

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad