Pre-Game Talk: Week of Refreshments (DAL, @VGK, CHI)

Who will the Avs call up this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Zadorov is overrated. There is potential sure, but he has not shown anything so far to make him more than a decent 3rd pairing guy. He is nothing special defensively and his offensive game leaves a lot to be desired.

He hasn't shown anything? Lets stick to what hes actually doing at the moment lol.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah we tend to turn a little too quickly one way or the other on players depending on recent results.

Zads has proven to be absolutely dominant in small stretches. Up until he got hurt last year he was playing great hockey at a time when virtually no one else in Colorado was playing remotely acceptable hockey. And even early this season he was playing fantastically. It's just the last 2-3 games he's looked atrocious. If he's scratched, yes, he deserves it, mainly because there are others playing better hockey right now.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Zadorov needs to just simplify his game. Make sure he's between his guy and the goal, stop with the panic clears when he has passing options.

He's a young guy (younger than Bigras). He has a lot of learning to do.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Zadorov needs to just simplify his game. Make sure he's between his guy and the goal, stop with the panic clears when he has passing options.

He's a young guy (younger than Bigras). He has a lot of learning to do.

I don't think Bednar benching him in the first place was a good idea. Like it or not Z seems to be really vulnerable to his confidence level right now.

Interestingly enough Bednar did a really good job fostering that last season. (one of the few things he did right) This year I guess Z was supposed to become a model of consistency.

Zadorov also looked really bad when Roy used benching as a threat as well, but Bednar has all the answers so why bother learning things like that.

At some point Zadorov needs to fight through that though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Z's biggest problem is between the ears. Some of that will iron out with experience, but how much that irons out will determine where he ultimately ends up as a player. I don't think he has the top pairing IQ, but I hope to be wrong. I also hope it clicks at least a little bit before the end of his deal... otherwise the Avs may just move on.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Z's biggest problem is between the ears. Some of that will iron out with experience, but how much that irons out will determine where he ultimately ends up as a player. I don't think he has the top pairing IQ, but I hope to be wrong. I also hope it clicks at least a little bit before the end of his deal... otherwise the Avs may just move on.

I cannot imagine a universe where Bednar is still with the organization in two years, and Zadorov is not. Obviously it's possible, but it's just too painful of an idea.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Jared Bednar on why VGK is so good.

""You look at the teams Turk's had, always a hard-working group," he said. "I think they did a real good job in the expansion process. They got some good players and they're dangerous. Mix their skill level and their work ethic, and I'm not real surprised."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Rick-Sadowski/Z-could-be-healthy-scratch/188/88432

VGK has Bednar's freaking dream roster lol.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
This game isn't till tomorrow and it's at 6 PM EST!? Wtf

And I'm on board for a Z scratch, Mironov needs some games either way.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This game isn't till tomorrow and it's at 6 PM EST!? Wtf

And I'm on board for a Z scratch, Mironov needs some games either way.

It sounds like Nemeth will be ready to go. Zadorov and Mironov were doing a bag skate at the end of practice so they're probably out.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah we tend to turn a little too quickly one way or the other on players depending on recent results.

Zads has proven to be absolutely dominant in small stretches. Up until he got hurt last year he was playing great hockey at a time when virtually no one else in Colorado was playing remotely acceptable hockey. And even early this season he was playing fantastically. It's just the last 2-3 games he's looked atrocious. If he's scratched, yes, he deserves it, mainly because there are others playing better hockey right now.
Zads was never dominant... people here just got caught up with his highlight reel hits. He proved to be a small light in a dark season. That caused many to overrrat him. Similar to Grigs prior to last year.

Right now he's is a bottom pairing defensive defencemen who's not that great defensively.

Reactions: Arnusson

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Zads was never dominant... people here just got caught up with his highlight reel hits. He proved to be a small light in a dark season. That caused many to overrrat him. Similar to Grigs prior to last year.

Right now he's is a bottom pairing defensive defencemen who's not that great defensively.

Not true. This isn’t a case of him just throwing some big highlight reel hits, his underlying numbers have been fantastic (again, in small stretches so the “small sample size” caveat applies).

Maybe he isn’t a legit top pairing guy or even a top-four guy. But to say he hasn’t shown that kind of potential is just flat-out wrong.

Reactions: cgf and Foppberg

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015

Bingo. I would have expected Z to be able to have some kind of offensive game in the NHL but that hasn't happened yet, his shooting is especially bad as pretty much everything either hits someone or goes wide.

Reactions: Arnusson

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Not true. This isn’t a case of him just throwing some big highlight reel hits, his underlying numbers have been fantastic (again, in small stretches so the “small sample size” caveat applies).

Maybe he isn’t a legit top pairing guy or even a top-four guy. But to say he hasn’t shown that kind of potential is just flat-out wrong.

Sorry for the late reply totally spaced about this convo.

I can't see how anyone can claim he was dominant when he provided no offence. He was alright defensively at times. He did show potential and still has that so, that's not what I'm contesting.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sorry for the late reply totally spaced about this convo.

I can't see how anyone can claim he was dominant when he provided no offence. He was alright defensively at times. He did show potential and still has that so, that's not what I'm contesting.

You seem to be indicating that he never showed potential to be a top-pairing guy and that people were just enamored with his big hits, and I'm just saying that's not true. This isn't a case of people going full Dion, in fact I'd argue that apart from a big hit along the boards here and there (which frankly aren't THAT spectacular) there isn't much highlight-worthy stuff from Zads.

A guy doesn't have to be productive in order to be a defensive force, he just has to be able to neutralize offense in the defensive zone and move the puck out. In those instances (again, small sample size alert) where he has been playing solid hockey he's doing just that. Before he got hurt last season he played as well as we've ever seen him.

MHH just did an article indicating that he and EJ are actually not compatible at all as defensive partners. Not only are EJ's numbers better away from Zads, but Zads' numbers away from EJ are better as well. If/when he gets back into the lineup I hope the number crunchers are doing their job in Denver and telling Bednar NOT to put them together period, and I hope Bednar listens.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You seem to be indicating that he never showed potential to be a top-pairing guy and that people were just enamored with his big hits, and I'm just saying that's not true. This isn't a case of people going full Dion, in fact I'd argue that apart from a big hit along the boards here and there (which frankly aren't THAT spectacular) there isn't much highlight-worthy stuff from Zads.

A guy doesn't have to be productive in order to be a defensive force, he just has to be able to neutralize offense in the defensive zone and move the puck out. In those instances (again, small sample size alert) where he has been playing solid hockey he's doing just that. Before he got hurt last season he played as well as we've ever seen him.

MHH just did an article indicating that he and EJ are actually not compatible at all as defensive partners. Not only are EJ's numbers better away from Zads, but Zads' numbers away from EJ are better as well. If/when he gets back into the lineup I hope the number crunchers are doing their job in Denver and telling Bednar NOT to put them together period, and I hope Bednar listens.

Not sure where you can get that I said he doesn't;t have potential. I stated where I think his game is right now and where it has been in the past. I did say he proved to be a small light in a dark season implying his was good to an extent. (not as good as claimed to be here.) I mean some where going bananas for him asking for 7-8 year contracts. " Pay him what ever he wants" type posts... if Sakic did that people would have bashed him for it by now. I agree his hits aren't special but he can out power guys with easy down low and it's catchy on the eyes.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Not sure where you can get that I said he doesn't;t have potential. I stated where I think his game is right now and where it has been in the past. I did say he proved to be a small light in a dark season implying his was good to an extent. (not as good as claimed to be here.) I mean some where going bananas for him asking for 7-8 year contracts. " Pay him what ever he wants" type posts... if Sakic did that people would have bashed him for it by now. I agree his hits aren't special but he can out power guys with easy down low and it's catchy on the eyes.

I'll admit I was one of the "just give him the money" guys, though that was under the assumption that the two camps were only a few thousand apart. I didn't necessarily think he was worth a long-term contract. But it's true, his play right now is making me rethink even that as he doesn't seem to be playing smart hockey at all.

If he ends up being a damned good third pairing I still think the Avs have done reasonably well in the trade (though I sure hope Compher ends up being as good as his early play seems to indicate). But I hope he is at the very lease a middle-pairing guy who can be trusted in a shutdown role. I don't know if his desire to show off his offense is one reason he's been a turnover machine, but I sure as hell hope Pratt gets him to work on securing the puck better.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I'll admit I was one of the "just give him the money" guys, though that was under the assumption that the two camps were only a few thousand apart. I didn't necessarily think he was worth a long-term contract. But it's true, his play right now is making me rethink even that as he doesn't seem to be playing smart hockey at all.

If he ends up being a damned good third pairing I still think the Avs have done reasonably well in the trade (though I sure hope Compher ends up being as good as his early play seems to indicate). But I hope he is at the very lease a middle-pairing guy who can be trusted in a shutdown role. I don't know if his desire to show off his offense is one reason he's been a turnover machine, but I sure as hell hope Pratt gets him to work on securing the puck better.

- Again, I don't believe he's ever played smart hockey for any significant period of time.

- If he ends up as the 3rd pairing dman it will be a catastrophe of a trade...barring TJ doesn't end up being a #1C.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I still think Z has a lot of potential, it's just a question mark right now if he hits it. If I were a betting man I'd bet on him being a solid 2nd pairing guy who makes the occasional brain fart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad