Pre-Game Talk: Week of ghouls, ghosts and long breaks (CAR, @PHI, @NYI)

How many points earned this week?

• 5-6 points

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • 3-4 points

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • 1-2 points

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • All tricks, no treats

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Anybody have a clue what the defensive pairs/practice lines look like for tomorrow? I'll get the GDT up tonight after work but I don't know what the lines are anymore. Is Wilson back?

giphy.gif

Reactions: McMetal

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Anybody have a clue what the defensive pairs/practice lines look like for tomorrow? I'll get the GDT up tonight after work but I don't know what the lines are anymore. Is Wilson back?

*LOL* I just checked out the roster on the AVs hompage and they have 26 players and not a single one of them on the injured reserve.

Reactions: Bubba Thudd

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
You have to assume they won't change the defensive pairings after the win vs Chicago. If Wilson is healthy, he probably takes out Grimaldi.

I think it makes more sense to leave Grimaldi on the scoring line and sit Greer if Wilson's ready but who knows what they'll do.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think it makes more sense to leave Grimaldi on the scoring line and sit Greer if Wilson's ready but who knows what they'll do.
I thought about that, but Bednar has been praising Greer a lot when asked about him and likes that kind of player. Grimaldi not so much lol.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
You have to assume they won't change the defensive pairings after the win vs Chicago. If Wilson is healthy, he probably takes out Grimaldi.
I think that would be a mistake. I think Grimaldi DESERVES another game. His play between the end of last season and in Chicago has warranted it.

I'd rather the coaches have a long discussion with Yakupov and explain what they want him to concentrate on and let him watch a game from up top rather than give him 7:14 of TOI again. I've seen enough from Yak to know I'd like to see him stick and do well but it seems like the leash and leeway to play through tough patches that he and Z have received this year has been pretty damn short compared to what many of our other players have gotten this season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Both Varlamov and Bernier have a .905 sv%, despite playing rather well. Just goes to show how one bad game can undo several good ones.

With goal scoring being as high as it is this early in the season, I would actually guess .905 to be pretty close to average right now.

Still, it's a shame for Varly as he had himself a near perfect start until that Vegas game.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Would like to see Zadorov get back in, but I’m glad Bednar is holding him to a higher standard than the other rotational defencemen.

I’m sure Bednar loves having Greer, who will instigate a fight if need be.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
With goal scoring being as high as it is this early in the season, I would actually guess .905 to be pretty close to average right now.

Still, it's a shame for Varly as he had himself a near perfect start until that Vegas game.

It's why I prefer looking at Quality Start % over raw SV% just because (especially right now) of how single games can greatly skew SV%. For those wondering Varly has a 0.571 QS% which is a little above average right now while Bernier is sitting at a 0.500 QS% which is a tad under average.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
It's why I prefer looking at Quality Start % over raw SV% just because (especially right now) of how single games can greatly skew SV%. For those wondering Varly has a 0.571 QS% which is a little above average right now while Bernier is sitting at a 0.500 QS% which is a tad under average.

You need to make your own thread where you explain all of these obscure goaltending stats that you bring up lol. I'm tired of tweeting at DTMAH (the guy the Krunkies just hired for analytics) asking what they are and not getting a response.

You have time to manage your own thread as the resident goalie expert right? ;)

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
You need to make your own thread where you explain all of these obscure goaltending stats that you bring up lol. I'm tired of tweeting at DTMAH (the guy the Krunkies just hired for analytics) asking what they are and not getting a response.

You have time to manage your own thread as the resident goalie expert right? ;)

I don't think goalie knowledge is in enough demand for its own thread that would end up 5 pages back in two days. Quality Starts is how you would evaluate consistency in goalies. You record a Quality Start when you post a SV% above the league average of 0.917 or post a SV% higher than the replacement SV% if you only see 20 shots on goal in a game. I personally like it for two reasons 1) it's not as easily swayed as SV% can be 2) it only takes into account starts so goalies who come in during blowouts don't see their numbers effected.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'd go with the same forward lineup from the Chicago game. All the missing guys skated today but did not practice so they aren't going to play tomorrow. On D your guess is as good as anyone's.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
This is worth a read and yes I know it's the DP (it's not Chambers at least)

It's nice to have reporters put in some sort of effort to create an interesting story once in awhile.

Well, I guess they've met their quota for the year!

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Anyone still doubts there are off ice issues here? No way they scratch him for 3 games just for being bad against Dallas.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm more disappointed about Bigras being out tbh. Maybe Bednar can't get that image of him twirling around on that Lindberg goal out of his head.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah I don't get it, I'd much rather Z and Bigras be in the lineup. But at this point we're playing well enough that I'm okay with it. I expect after the next loss they come in hungry, and hopefully stay in for a long while.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I don't think goalie knowledge is in enough demand for its own thread that would end up 5 pages back in two days. Quality Starts is how you would evaluate consistency in goalies. You record a Quality Start when you post a SV% above the league average of 0.917 or post a SV% higher than the replacement SV% if you only see 20 shots on goal in a game. I personally like it for two reasons 1) it's not as easily swayed as SV% can be 2) it only takes into account starts so goalies who come in during blowouts don't see their numbers effected.

Ahh that makes a little more sense. I've seen you throw that stat out before, but the context was easier to understand last season. Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad