Pre-Game Talk: Week of Flamers, Queens, and Sharts.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Sutter's coaching style is effective but not for too long. Eventually players get tired of it. I expect the Flames to start sucking in couple of years and Sutter getting fired

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Sutter is literally the scariest thing about facing the Flames in the playoffs. I fear the coach and his system far more than the sum of his lineup.

Meh, they're 20-8-1 since the new year. They were 16-7-6 before that.

You might be scared of their system but I'm not. They've gotten 11 shutouts this season. Markstrom has 9 of those. It's unsustainable.

Not saying they'll be an easy out, but Sutter doesn't scare me. Markstrom isn't Jonathan Quick, Lindholm isn't Anze Kopitar and Tanev/Andersson/whoever aren't Drew Doughty.

Reactions: Chiarelli

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If the playoffs started tomorrow we'd face Vegas in round 1.

8BYZDaL.png

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
If the playoffs started tomorrow we'd face Vegas in round 1.

So? Stone is still recovering from his bad back, Pacioretty from whatever is causing him problems. They wouldn't just magically get better tomorrow....or would they?

Reactions: Reparlana

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

You might be scared of their system but I'm not. They've gotten 11 shutouts this season. Markstrom has 9 of those. It's unsustainable.

Not saying they'll be an easy out, but Sutter doesn't scare me. Markstrom isn't Jonathan Quick, Lindholm isn't Anze Kopitar and Tanev/Andersson/whoever aren't Drew Doughty.
Avs will have the most talented team in the NHL come playoff time. I don't fear lineups, I fear good systems and so should you. Dallas and Vegas kicked us out of the playoffs in the last 2 years and it's not because they had better players.

The Avs lose either when they get outworked or when Bednar loses the X's and O's battle. Those two things are Sutter's speciality.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Avs will have the most talented team in the NHL come playoff time. I don't fear lineups, I fear good systems and so should you. Dallas and Vegas kicked us out of the playoffs in the last 2 years and it's not because they had better players.

The Avs lose either when they get outworked or when Bednar loses the X's and O's battle. Those two things are Sutter's speciality.
The Avs lost to Dallas because they had Michael Hutchinson in goal, lost Erik Johnson in game 1 and Gabriel Landeskog for game 7. Don't give me that systems crap with Dallas. The Avalanche were barely 3 minutes and a fluke turnover away from winning that series.

And for the 1,000th time, the Golden Knights "system" is not what beat the Avalanche - it was Philipp Grubauer playing the worst hockey of his Avalanche tenure at the worst possible time. I don't know how we can credit Vegas' system as beating the Avs when games 5 and 6, the Avs were the better team but lost both games.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
The Avs lost to Dallas because they had Michael Hutchinson in goal, lost Erik Johnson in game 1 and Gabriel Landeskog for game 7. Don't give me that systems crap with Dallas. The Avalanche were barely 3 minutes and a fluke turnover away from winning that series.

And for the 1,000th time, the Golden Knights "system" is not what beat the Avalanche - it was Philipp Grubauer playing the worst hockey of his Avalanche tenure at the worst possible time. I don't know how we can credit Vegas' system as beating the Avs when games 5 and 6, the Avs were the better team but lost both games.

Guess you forgot about games 2-4 where they were destroyed worse than any Avs team since the mid 2000’s against the Red wings.

Yea..not even one of the worst teams of all time (the 2016-2017 Avs), had a worse 3 game run of xGF% than us in the playoffs last year. Grubauer stole us game 2 and almost won us game 3.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Flames in 6

Reactions: dahrougem2

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Some of you are terrified of everyone. Seattle could sneak in by some loophole and it'd be, "man, I don't want to see them in the first round. With that defense? First round Grubauer in a revenge series? What if Donskoi gets hot? Avs might be in trouble."

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Some of you are terrified of everyone. Seattle could sneak in by some loophole and it'd be, "man, I don't want to see them in the first round. With that defense? First round Grubauer in a revenge series? What if Donskoi gets hot? Avs might be in trouble."

Reactions: sethro109

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Guess you forgot about games 2-4 where they were destroyed worse than any Avs team since the mid 2000’s against the Red wings.

Yea..not even one of the worst teams of all time (the 2016-2017 Avs), had a worse 3 game run of xGF% than us in the playoffs last year. Grubauer stole us game 2 and almost won us game 3.
Cool, so the Avs were better in 3 games and Vegas was better in 3 games. Does the level of dominance really matter from a singular game perspective?
Yep. We won game 2 but they dominated us (thanks Gru) and in games 3-4 we got straight up embarassed. Imagine watching that and blaming the goalie.

Game 5 and 6 were close at best.
Close at best? No.

Reactions: Avs_19

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Cool, so the Avs were better in 3 games and Vegas was better in 3 games. Does the level of dominance really matter from a singular game perspective?

Close at best? No.
Yes. Slight advantage to Vegas in fact in games 5 and 6...I already posted all the "who should have won" stats. Not digging for those again.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Beat the Flames and they're 10 points behind with a game in hand. That would give us a lot more lee-way the coming weeks to try some rookies out without risking the top seed in the West too much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad