Pre-Game Talk: Week of Embarrassment (@CGY, WAS, STL, @MIN)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I know that Pierre Lacroix's name has been put out there, but I am having a hard time understanding it. He will be 69 years old before the start of next season and he has had some health issues in the past. Plus, Kroenke canned his son, Eric Lacroix. It does not make much sense to me.

Lacroix probably feels an attachment to the organization. He brought this team two cups... was the leader and main driver of that success. That has to hold a lot of sentiment to him, and he probably wants to the org to be brought back. The health issues are apparently behind him. 69 would be near the top of the league, but there are others in the 67-68-69 age range. David Poile isn't likely to quit over the next few years.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
If there is a front office cleanse, that is what I'd expect to happen. FTR wouldn't be what I'd do.

I said something similiar in a GDT recently. Not what I ideally want at all, but do I see Josh Kroenke overseeing an extensive search for a new VP and GM? Not really. He admitted he doesn't know much about hockey; I can't see any of the Kroenke's having enough interest to launch a hunt throughout the league. So the options really are limited to people they know, in my view, and going back Lacroix is what will inevitably happen. Makes their lives easy, get someone back who has had past success and can run the club...status quo.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I personally wouldn't want PL to run this team because I don't know how well he'd fare in a cap world. He showed a great disregard for drafting + development during his tenure here, especially later on.

With that said, if PL was here I have no doubt in my mind Duchene would be 100% gone this summer, and Landeskog likely would follow suit. If there's one thing PL isn't shy about, it's making a big deal.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Big fat snake eat Pierre Lacroix.

Jokes aside...the only way I would approve of him coming back is if it's as a consultant for the hiring of a new GM and President of Hockey Ops. I would trust him more interviewing hockey people than Josh. I don't mean to bust on Josh, but he's not what I would consider a "hockey-guy."

You know you've had a bad front office for a long time when you begin to wish Brian Burke was available.:sarcasm:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd assume if Pierre was coming back, it would be a 3-4 year plan for him to set the organization on the correct path and groom a successor.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'd assume if Pierre was coming back, it would be a 3-4 year plan for him to set the organization on the correct path and groom a successor.

The guy was absolutely in love with blockbuster trades. I don't think he would be capable of going 3-4 years as a GM without trading our future for a long shot. He did some great things as a GM, but patience and building was not his strong suit.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The guy was absolutely in love with blockbuster trades. I don't think he would be capable of going 3-4 years as a GM without trading our future for a long shot. He did some great things as a GM, but patience and building was not his strong suit.

I doubt PL would be trading this team's future. He'd most likely be looking to trade Duchene/Landeskog/Barrie/Varlamov.

How many of them is the better question, but I doubt he'd move youth instead of the mentioned players.

Then again, PL even being here is a long shot imo. I think Sakic stays.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Just discovered a funny thing on Scott Stevens' Wikipedia page:

He was named the fifth most fearsome player in NHL history by the Sporting News in 2001 and was voted the toughest player in the NHL by the voters.[79] NHL defencemen Dion Phaneuf and Francois Beauchemin are often compared to Stevens, and Phaneuf says he has idolized Stevens' style of play.[80]

Supply your own responses.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad