Pre-Game Talk: Week of an actual game (@Phi)

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Is it a concern at all that the Avs seem to struggle against defensive teams especially on the road?

Seemed to struggle mightily against Dallas, Arizona and NYI.

Is that just a game planning thing or do the Avs need more help?

Reactions: Murzu

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It’s quite strange the way that no one gives (or ask) news about him. Do we even know how he got injured? (I was not paying attention at the time because I never believed it would take this long and because it was not a dramatic injury).

Injured his groin somehow, they tried to see if it would heal on its own and when it didn’t, he had surgery. At least that’s the best I can recall.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Is it a concern at all that the Avs seem to struggle against defensive teams especially on the road?

Seemed to struggle mightily against Dallas, Arizona and NYI.

Is that just a game planning thing or do the Avs need more help?

Yeah it’s a concern, though they at least finally showed they can defeat a defense-first team like St. Louis quite handily.

I don’t think one player could make a huge difference there, but they really do have to figure out special teams. Against right defensive teams the power play probably the only time you can get any real production. Conversely, you can get buried in a hurry if you can’t kill penalties.

Reactions: Murzu and McMetal

SaltySkywalker

Bushes of Love
Jul 15, 2016
Tatooine
That sums up most GDT's pretty accurately. Let's focus on that one missed penalty instead of 0/6 on the PP.

3nkdzt.jpg

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Hope to see Rantanen find his form again. He hasn't been terrible like Landeskog, but he's a shell of playoff Rantanen last year. Hope he turns it on down the stretch.

Can't help but wonder how much that ankle injury is still effecting him.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Can't help but wonder how much that ankle injury is still effecting him.

Two weeks off should give him some time to rehab it. Hopefully he's back to 100% soon. He's lost a bit of the explosiveness that he had, wondering if it's because of the ankle.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hope to see Rantanen find his form again. He hasn't been terrible like Landeskog, but he's a shell of playoff Rantanen last year. Hope he turns it on down the stretch.
When Eichel finally requests a trade out of the dump we’ll use Mikko as trade bait to get him.

rmthomson21

Sep 22, 2015
DMV
He's the one I'm hoping benefits most from this otherwise ludicrous stretch without a game.
Probably good for Landy, too. And Makar, just as we reach the part of the season where a lot of NCAA guys making the transition start to look burned out.

Honestly, All Star break aside, then the timing's pretty good for the mandatory rest week.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Probably good for Landy, too. And Makar, just as we reach the part of the season where a lot of NCAA guys making the transition start to look burned out.

This is what I'm watching the most in the Makar/Hughes debate. For all their pride Vancouver fans take in it Hughes is getting crazy minutes and has been going almost non stop since the start of the season. Makar is getting a bit more manageable minutes and has had two lengthy breaks now.

I think the college wall is going to hit both of them, but I'm suspecting it's going to hit Hughes like a freight train.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Boys should be real well and rested when they come back.

I actually think we see them go on a huge run. Normally such a long break could be hard to come back from but we know a few of our guys haven't been playing at 100%. Mikko, Cole, Landy(I mean he's never at 100% but still).... plus getting a healthy Donskoi back.

I think they come back firing and go on a big run through February month.

We play 15 games in February and I'm calling 12 Wins.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad