NFL GDT: Week 8

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
It’s Tom Brady and the league has a marque matchup next week with TB and NO. You can’t have TB lose to upset that Apple cart. With no fans in the stands they desperately need those ratings. Integrity of the league be damned.
how does tampa losing this game affect the ratings of that game...? either it's 5-3 vs 5-2 or 6-2 vs 5-2

Mr Fahrenheit

Valar Morghulis
Oct 9, 2009
Defensive players regularly make contact with receivers before the ball arrives without penalty. Lots of nuances on how and when a PI is called. I think this decision was reasonable.

Just my opinion.

Only if the DB is turned around playing the ball, mutual contact like hand fighting or incidental contact like feet getting tangled. This was none of the above and not only a clear PI penalty, they picked the f***ing flag up

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Defensive players regularly make contact with receivers before the ball arrives without penalty. Lots of nuances on how and when a PI is called. I think this decision was reasonable.

Just my opinion.

That’s really the point. It’s not supposed to be so subjective. The exact same play is PI at times and at times not. The statistics show various anomalies - apparently GB gets the most help with flags on third down amd NO gets screwed the most in that teams get far fewer callas against when playing NO - that it makes the refs have way too much say in the outcome of games and the reffing should even out but it doesn’t. That seems fishy to me.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It was a close call. I wouldn’t call it ‘controversial’ though.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
You’ll get your answer next week when several ticky tack calls go against NO and several fairly obvious calls are not made against TB. The refs will have too much say in what should be a fairly even game and magically it will help TB.
But why does losing to the Giants affect the ratings of that game when the importance of that game remains the same either way? That’s my question, and your “explanation“ has literally nothing to do with it.

Reactions: OmniCube

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
It was close but nothing close to some of the stuff that has been overturned after officials got together and discussed. It's hilarious watching Bears fans on here moaning after their team beat the Bucs in large part due to some very suspect officiating and an official overturn after a discussion in that game as well lol. The Bucs played poorly, but since there were more than a few that thought they may look ahead to the Saints it wasn't 100% surprising. Happy to take the win and hopefully have better preparation for next week.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
The flag getting picked up at the end of the game wasn't the problem, it was Cameron Brate driving his head into Logan Ryan's helmet and then Ryan getting a penalty that's infuriating.

My3Sons

Sponsor
But why does losing to the Giants affect the ratings of that game when the importance of that game remains the same either way? That’s my question, and your “explanation“ has literally nothing to do with it.

I disagree. It’s not worth discussing further. You can have the last word. My point still stands.

Reactions: John Price

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
That’s really the point. It’s not supposed to be so subjective. The exact same play is PI at times and at times not. The statistics show various anomalies - apparently GB gets the most help with flags on third down amd NO gets screwed the most in that teams get far fewer callas against when playing NO - that it makes the refs have way too much say in the outcome of games and the reffing should even out but it doesn’t. That seems fishy to me.

Anything requiring people to observe and make a decision will be subjective to some degree. Just as we see with us posters in this thread.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
I disagree. It’s not worth discussing further. You can have the last word. My point still stands.
You're making zero sense. What do you disagree with? How does saying "the refs will help Brady next week!!" explain why that game's ratings are impacted by them losing today? What the actual f***

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB

The Aints have the H2H advantage in this game and have the #3 seed currently. With the career TD mark in play now, having both teams at the record for a grudge match means a lot.

Giants win hurts the Bucs in all the tiebreaker scenarios and makes the game less of a TV draw.

That's how business works.

Reactions: My3Sons

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
The Aints have the H2H advantage in this game and have the #3 seed currently. With the career TD mark in play now, having both teams at the record for a grudge match means a lot.

Giants win hurts the Bucs in all the tiebreaker scenarios and makes the game less of a TV draw.

That's how business works.
I sincerely doubt the Bucs being 5-3 instead of 6-2 makes less people watch it. It's still a pivotal divsion matchup regardless. But at least you attempted an explanation.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Anything requiring people to observe and make a decision will be subjective to some degree. Just as we see with us posters in this thread.

That doesn’t make it right. The NFL can and should be better. Subjective and consistent is reasonable. Subjective and wildly inconsistent where that inconsistency seems to consistently favor certain teams is poor.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Only if the DB is turned around playing the ball, mutual contact like hand fighting or incidental contact like feet getting tangled. This was none of the above and not only a clear PI penalty, they picked the f***ing flag up

You’re talking about downfield DB vs receiver situations where faceguarding, not looking back for the ball and contact are regularly PI.

Short 5 yard goal line pass attempts like this aren’t judged as heavily on face guarding by the refs.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Jones blew the two pointer. Easy pitch and catch but he hesitated , was late and inside. Absolutely terrible after a gorgeous throw for the touchdown. The guy is so hot and cold it’s unbelievable.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Count me on the side of they got the call right.

The contact was minimal and had no affect on the receiver's ability to make the catch, seeing as the defender's arm got in the way of the ball.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
good no call. Giants have no one to blame but their QB. That ball has got to get out of Jones' hand right away and it would have been an easy conversion. Daniel Jones shows you flashes but he's a very flawed right now.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
good no call. Giants have no one to blame but their QB. That ball has got to get out of Jones' hand right away and it would have been an easy conversion. Daniel Jones shows you flashes but he's a very flawed right now.
Expected more polish from him given that he was like a 3 year starter at Duke. Not an big time program, but you expect to work out more flaws by playing 30 plus games in college.

His main flaws are pocket awareness as he's been the victim of too many strip sacks and fumbles. Plus his anticipation is lacking. That last pass was both late and 3 feet to the left of where it needed to be for Lewis. If they hold a pick for either Lawrence/Fields, and even Lance, do they pull the trigger ala AZ and take a QB and send Jones packing?

member 157595

Expected more polish from him given that he was like a 3 year starter at Duke. Not an big time program, but you expect to work out more flaws by playing 30 plus games in college.

His main flaws are pocket awareness as he's been the victim of too many strip sacks and fumbles. Plus his anticipation is lacking. That last pass was both late and 3 feet to the left of where it needed to be for Lewis. If they hold a pick for either Lawrence/Fields, and even Lance, do they pull the trigger ala AZ and take a QB and send Jones packing?

Lawrence and Fields, yes. Lance, probably not IMO. If they have pick #3 they should take Sewell and trade him to the Bengals for a 7th round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad