Series Discussion: Week 8: What is this teams potential

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I stated at the beginning of the season that this week would be the the week that determines what we have for a team in Calgary.

Monday:
:vegas vs :flames

Wednesday
:jetsVS :flames

Friday

:flames
@ :vegas
Sunday
:flames @ :coyotes

Story-lines:

• Rittich is starting Monday but depending on his performance I think Wednesday against the Jets is still in question. If Rittich wins expect Smith to start Friday or Sunday.
  • Neal has been shooting more and from better locations. Will he break the goal scoring drought he is in.
  • What are the Flames going to do with Dube. Monday will likely be his last shot to generate something if not expect him to be sent to Stockton.
  • Can the Flames take 3 of 4 taking control of their own destiny?
  • Will Rittich give Smith a serious challenge as Calgary's #1 goalie?

Love Kristen for digging and getting real answers. I have been saying these were my concerns with Dube for a while now.

Kristen Anderson on Twitter
Kristen Anderson on Twitter

Last edited:
Reactions: TychoFan

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Going to be interesting for the Vegas games to see if we can pummel them since they aren't as good this year or if we play down to their level. Only real challenge is Winnipeg and the Flames have shown they can play with and beat the top teams in the league. Hoping Mike Smith starts at most 1 game (split the Vegas games depending on how Rittich plays tonight).

A 4-0 or 3-1 record this week would be really swell. We could put the Pacific in the rear view mirror real quick. No one is winning and we have games in hand on half the teams.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I see a sweep providing we do or get the following:

1. Good goaltending
2 Stop chasing the game and score more goals in the first period
3. Eliminate or at the very least, reduce the 3 or 4 breakaways that we seem to give up every game
4. 2nd unit PP starts to score

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Holy coaching carousel Captain America. McLelland...GONE, Yeo... GONE, an this adds to Stevens and Q. Lots of good coaches looking for new jobs.

Game 1 Vegas Vs Calgary - Game ranking 9/10 (If they would have got Rittich his shutout it would have been a 10)
What an impressive start to the game and the week. Almost felt sorry for Malcolm Subban in this on as the snipers were out in force. After a bad Vegas penalty in the Flames end it only took Chucky and co 30 seconds to pound home the first of the evening 2:36 into the game. The top line was relentless with every shift and by the end of the first Calgary had an unheard of 5-0 lead. This is something that has not happened in over 25 years. At one point the PP was 3 for 3. With the score 7-0 Peters went to playing the 3rd and forth line heavily for the rest of the evening with the first and second lines only getting about 15-16 minutes for the game.

Rather than stoke the fires unnecessarily by running up the score Peters gave the bottom 6 some very heavy playing time by their standards. The last 3 PP's were full of units that likely never practiced together and at times were predictably comical in their execution.

Jankowski played a good strong game and is starting to look more and more comfortable out there. Neal is shooting the puck and with a little perseverance he will get going. With how well the top 2 lines are playing there is NO reason for Neal to expect moving up in the line-up.

Sam got a nice deflection for his third of the season and I love how he and Chucky aggravate the other teams top unit. MARCHESSAULT took some very dumb penalties because of how relentless Chucky and Benny are.

The only bad I saw from the Calgary perspective is that Dube is not adjusting and is getting further and further from being able to hold down a roster spot effectively. He was tripping, stumbling and in general discombobulated out there.

Despite all the whining about Czarnik should be playing in place of Hathaway I disagree. Hathaway may not be as gifted offensively but he is always playing his gritty game and rarely takes a shift off. Next to Jankowski Hath may have been the most noticeable player for the last 2 periods.

Going into the Winnipeg game on Wednesday one has to wonder if Dube will be in the line-up and after such a short night for the top 2 lines in Monday's shellacking of Vegas will they be energized for Wednesday's game. I hope so.

I would imagine Rittich will get the start against Winnipeg as he continued to impress despite a very difficult night for him being up by 7.

Total week points thus far 2 out of 2

Reactions: TychoFan and Nanuuk

Gumbyman2

Sep 12, 2018
I see a sweep providing we do or get the following:

1. Good goaltending
2 Stop chasing the game and score more goals in the first period
3. Eliminate or at the very least, reduce the 3 or 4 breakaways that we seem to give up every game
4. 2nd unit PP starts to score

All good points. And if we get a few good saves from goalies early in games and each period, with the progression of 3 solid, stout pairings on D now, our offense should come regularly and the wins should outweigh losses regularly, which all means success and a confident team! 1st place is sustainable but not to worry over until march or so. GFG!

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
One down with 2 pts for the Flames and three more games to go.

I look forward to the Flames matching up against the Jets on Wednesday. The Jets are one of the better teams in the league and this should be a good game. After thoroughly dominating the Knights you want a tough opponent for the next game so the Flames don't expect the next game to be a cake walk and they fall into bad habits. The Jets are exactly that team.

A win against the Jets will announce to the league that the Flames are a team to be reckoned with and there's no such thing as an easy win for the visiting team in the dome.

Reactions: SKRusty

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
What really impressed me last night was all the tape to tape passing going on with the Flames. Very crisp in every zone. Combine that with the speed of the attack (something Vegas is noted for) and the Flames were backing up the Knights' D. We saw some of this in the 3rd period against the Oilers. When the Flames play this way I believe they can beat just about any team out there. So for this week I can see us taking 3 of 4. Maybe 4/4. Just need the goaltending and I have every confidence that when Smitty gets back in he'll stand on his head. Can't have a young pup getting all the glory.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Going to be interesting for the Vegas games to see if we can pummel them since they aren't as good this year or if we play down to their level. Only real challenge is Winnipeg and the Flames have shown they can play with and beat the top teams in the league. Hoping Mike Smith starts at most 1 game (split the Vegas games depending on how Rittich plays tonight).

A 4-0 or 3-1 record this week would be really swell. We could put the Pacific in the rear view mirror real quick. No one is winning and we have games in hand on half the teams.
Don't think anybody could have predicted the blow out in the first game of the week. My only hope is that it does not make the team complacent.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Honestly I think in a blowout game, that third period vs Vegas was the best case scenario in a way. Vegas actually started pushing back and got a couple of goals after the Flames got caught sleeping. That should be enough of a message to the Flames that no opponent should be taken for granted no matter the situation. The Jets are going to be a force on Wednesday so they have to be ready.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Don't think anybody could have predicted the blow out in the first game of the week. My only hope is that it does not make the team complacent.
With Winnipeg coming into the dome tomorrow night, I don't think it will. Everybody on the team knows they will have to work their asses off to beat a very good (12-5-2) Jets team. Frankly the Jets are exactly the type of team the Flames need to face after a 7-2 blowout of the Knights.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Game 2 Winnipeg Vs Calgary - Game ranking 7.5/10
What an impressive start to the game with the Flames dominating play other than against the Sheifele line. Jankowski, Bennett and Hathaway were dominant in their match-up and were rewarded with Dube's first goal and another mark by Mark. Then everybody but the 4th line stayed in the dressing room for the second period. In steps Rittich with probably the best goaltending we have seen from a Calgary goalie. Bennett's penalties, Valimaki's penalties and the poor zone exits allowed the Jets to get back into the game.

Jankowski played probably the strongest game of anybody on the Flames line-up outside of Rittich. He is gaining confidence and is becoming a force fore-checking in the oppositions end with some very good passes one of which setting up Dube's first.

Still not sold on Czarnik in the line-up for Frolik as the Jets first goal was from his poor defensive side.

Dube played a very strong game and may have bought himself a couple more games in the line-up.

The third period was a very good and competitive period with both sides pressing for the next goal then unfortunately in an uncharacteristic manner Valimaki panicked with the puck and took a delay of penalty that lead to Laine's second goal of the game.

Going forward the Flames must play 60 minutes no matter the score or the lead. The second period was inexcusable. If the Flames are going to be contenders they have to be committed to playing their best hockey possible every minute they are on the ice.

That said the speed of the Flames caused a very strong defensive team and true contender for the cup fits in the first and third periods. From my perspective with wins over Boston, Nashville, Toronto and the Avalanche the Flames are forcing the discussion if they are indeed contenders for the Cup.

The Flames now have 27 points and are only 1 point back of Minnesota for second in the Western Conference.

I would imagine Rittich will get the start against Vegas to ride his hot streak. Rittich should have been the first star.

Total week points thus far 4 out of 4.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Flames depth is finally getting some goals. Janko, Dube both with goals from the 4th line (Hathaway with an assist). Ryan got the EN goal for the 3rd line (although I thought the 3rd line sucked tonight). Bennett and Tkachuk getting some goals. Gaudreau scoring, with Mony and Lindy getting some assists.

Vegas game was scoring by the Big 4, but Winnipeg was a lot better in terms of depth.

If Flames can hold off Vegas' inevitable big push to start the game, they should win again and Arizona can't score for shit so unless Smith starts we should easily win. At this point I am scared Smith starts on Sunday and we get lit up.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Flames depth is finally getting some goals. Janko, Dube both with goals from the 4th line (Hathaway with an assist). Ryan got the EN goal for the 3rd line (although I thought the 3rd line sucked tonight). Bennett and Tkachuk getting some goals. Gaudreau scoring, with Mony and Lindy getting some assists.

Vegas game was scoring by the Big 4, but Winnipeg was a lot better in terms of depth.

If Flames can hold off Vegas' inevitable big push to start the game, they should win again and Arizona can't score for **** so unless Smith starts we should easily win. At this point I am scared Smith starts on Sunday and we get lit up.

Problem is that Smith is going to have to start, and soon. You cannot risk burning out a young goalie like Rittich. Smith will eventually have to help us win a game, he cannot ride the pine forever.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Problem is that Smith is going to have to start, and soon. You cannot risk burning out a young goalie like Rittich. Smith will eventually have to help us win a game, he cannot ride the pine forever.

For sure, and I fully expect Smith to be our starter again by seasons end. The nice thing is that Rittich is playing so well right now so the Flames can hand pick Smith’s next start. They have the luxury of not throwing him to the wolves. He will get hot and confident again at some point. History tells us this is inevitable.

Reactions: Nanuuk

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016

Not good news for Stone. Hopefully it is something minor. Frolik not travelling isn't good news either but at least we have the depth to deal with a few injuries.

Good news Sam is just a little banged up. Was concerned it was a broken wrist when he left last night.

One would expect Peluso and Prout to be recalled.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
IDK where it belongs, but anyways let's talk about Smith. Smith's 5on5 DSv% is actually only the 2nd worst among goalies that played at least 400 minutes 5on5. Jones is even worse. That being said, Smith's overall DSv% is the worst beyond words, Jones actually isn't even bad overall. What this tells me is Jones is worse than Smith for the majority of the game, but either Jones steps it up on special teams or other non 5on5 situations, or the Sharks special teams are significantly worse than ours. I'd lean more towards the latter. One of the reasons our PK this season is bad is because Smith has allowed a ton of terrible goals on the PK as well.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
IDK where it belongs, but anyways let's talk about Smith. Smith's 5on5 DSv% is actually only the 2nd worst among goalies that played at least 400 minutes 5on5. Jones is even worse. That being said, Smith's overall DSv% is the worst beyond words, Jones actually isn't even bad overall. What this tells me is Jones is worse than Smith for the majority of the game, but either Jones steps it up on special teams or other non 5on5 situations, or the Sharks special teams are significantly worse than ours. I'd lean more towards the latter. One of the reasons our PK this season is bad is because Smith has allowed a ton of terrible goals on the PK as well.
Many of the big goalies are having leaking problems... Even Price the best goalie in the world.

I believe looking at goaltending before the trade deadline is really going to be counter productive this year vs years past. The changes made to the equipment will shake out and until teams are able to assess the real state of their goalies games it is a waste of resources. To this point Rittich is playing well enough for us to win the division. Will we have the goaltending for a cup run?

I don't think that can be assessed until the trade deadline.

In the West I think there is a 4 team race with a 5th in Minnesota that may be able to put itself into the discussion.

Nashville, Winnipeg, San Jose and Calgary are a level above the rest. You can argue my analysis but I assert by beating both Nashville and Winnipeg in regulation the Flames have put themselves on that level.

San Jose vs Calgary I see way more depth in the forwards in Calgary not just offensively but more importantly defensively. The defense in San Jose is not great defensively and I believe that if we play the way we have against The Oilers in the third and Winnipeg and Vegas in the first periods Calgary beats San Jose consistently. Hanifin, Hamonic, and Valimaki are gaining more and more offensive chops as each game passes by.

This team is bloody scary when they are swarming the puck. McDavid was made irreverent in the third. The Backlund line is a nightmare for any first line and may be the best line for shutting down the best lines while still generating a positive offensive numbers.

This thread discusses what is the potential of this team. This week is a fairly large measuring stick as there are 3 divisional games and Winnipeg and my contention is 6 points or better will lead me to believe this team is a legit contender especially if they beat Winnipeg which as we know they did do. In the last week we have seen the team ramp up their play to a level to be on par with the best teams in the league but now the question is can they bring that effort night in night out against lesser teams?

We will find out over the next 3 days.

Reactions: Wish You Were Here

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Game 3 Calgary @ Vegas - Game ranking 3/10 What happens when you drink too much Kool-Aid

I don't think I have seen such an uninspired game by the Flames since the second period of the Penguins game. There were few mistakes and Rittich again played very well. Unfortunately the team allowed Vegas to drag the Flames into their game slowing the pace of the game. The line combinations in the third were horrid. Monahan, Dube and Ryan you could tell have spent just about zero time together.

Calgary's best players must have been too busy reading headlines about themselves as they were no fore-checking with the gusto they had been for the previous three game. Can't believe how many races the boys lost tonight. If this is the effort that the team is going to put into their game on Sunday prepare for another loss. Here is one of the largest Achilles heals this team has had for 3 years now. The Flames go out and handily beat the best teams in the league but can not be bothered to show up for teams lower in the standings. It is like the players figure all they need to do is show up at the rink for the win.

If the Flames are going to contend they have to start playing their game for 60 minutes each night.

Neal finally showed up for the first time even though it was for 30 seconds on the last shift of the game. He finally had passion in his game and almost looked like he could score with any shot.

Going into Arizona on the players will have to look at how they squandered 2 points and robbed Rittich from another win.

Smith will likely get the start against the Coyotes. If the Flames under estimate the Coyotes they will be beat. The Coyotes have played giant killers this season spanking Washington & Tampa and beating a very good Nashville team.

Total week points thus far 4 out of 6.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Game 4 Calgary @ Vegas - Game ranking 9/10 - A good road game.

Haters can hate but Smith played a really good game. His game was clean, simple, and calm. There is no better player in the Western Conference for finding the soft spots than Sean. Two times in the same shift he found the soft spot in the defense and after trying to pound one through Raanta he used the second to thread the puck trough traffic. Aside for a too many men penalty it was the perfect start to a road game. The rest of the night was about capitalizing on Arizona's special teams mistakes.

The Flames did really well at keeping the mistakes to the minimum throughout the game and when they did make one somebody would come up big coming back. I liked Smith's attitude when his shutout was spoiled ... a smile, a squirt of water at Hamonic and it was done. No big deal. Shutouts get spoiled.

Hanifin is really starting to thrive in Calgary and his confidence just builds with every game. He and Hamonic are really starting to build some amazing chemistry out there whether it be the offensive or defensive zone.

Jankowski was one of the strongest players out there today. His first goal was making the right play paying the price then when he knocked to the ice he immediately got up and headed to the side of the net.. A nice kick of the puck from his skate to his stick and voila one of the prettier goals of the day. The second was nothing more than a feat of strength and skill. One-on-five and he comes up with the goal... He beat 4 players plus Raanta. Jankowski had a great game and really wanted his hatty on the last shift.

Neal has looked relatively good for the last few games and one could almost declare he is now snake-bit. He had 4-5 really good chances today. It is only a matter of time until he breaks out.

It would not surprise me to see Jankowski Dube and Neal next game with Czarnik and Ryan moved to the forth line.

Smith getting on track is the best thing that can happen at this point. It wouldn't surprise me to see Smith get the starts until he loses. And then rinse and repeat for Rittich until one of them declares with an exclamation mark who is the starter.

The chemistry throughout the line-up is becoming very apparent and this only adds to the potential of this team. Brodie, Hanifin, and Gio are all putting up points on the back end regularily. Sam is producing on the second line and as he plays with Backs and Chucky they look more and more dangerous. Dube and Jankowski are starting to click. 20 games from now the team has the potential to be an absolute beast.

Initially I thought this week would be a contest to see if Vegas or Calgary were in the top 2 in the Pacific. That said with Smith's woes, a sputtering offense coming off a poor California road trip, and a lack of production in the bottom 6 there have been some nice revelations. This week has shown that the bottom 6 can hold their own against the best in the league with Jank's line beating up on Winnipeg, Smith finally putting in a quality game he can build on and the important win against the Jets. Convincing wins against Vegas, Winnipeg and Arizona really set the Flames up nicely as they work their way to the half way point in their season.

Injury wise Frolik and Valimaki are dinged up but neither appears to be out long term which is very important because as the team builds chemistry you want as many regulars there for the continuity.

Stone being out is not make or break and as we learned today Kylington is likely already ready to play in the NHL.

To this point the Flames have likely shown they are at minimum a 100 point team and with a little more chemistry and a weak Pacific division 110 points could be a distinct possibility. The Flames and Sharks should fight it out for 1 and 2 and it will all likely come down to injuries.

Total week points thus far 6 out of 8.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad